Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Well, it's not an unknown to me, at least, and I'm only a year removed from Erik's age. I really have no qualms about going mainstream - my only concern is bang for the buck, which, all things considered, points to Pentax.

We're predominantly a big two country (i.e. Canon and Nikon), but I've seen people with Pentax every once in a while. The hardest to spot here are Sony DSLRs (at least, considering the bigger name brands).

02-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by joakimfors Quote
Shouldn't it be pentaprism shaped?
but Pentax didn't invent the Pentaprism. nor were they the first to use it on a camera. nor did they come up with the name Pentax.
02-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll admit that I find some amusement in the confused look on people's faces when they ask what it is.

That said, my local shop in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (located somewhere North of nowhere) stocks Pentax and some accessories, at prices near enough to the e-tailers that I often just buy there. I'm sort of perplexed that people can't find gear in major metropolitan areas.
02-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (located somewhere North of nowhere)

Thems fightin words.....

02-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Fwiw, it seems Pentax are well stocked in Canada at least. And Prodigital2000 is by now a world famous place to buy cheap Pentax kit. My local pro camera store has the full line of Pentax stuff in a spot on the shelf closest to the door and I've seen people buying it while making my rounds. I'm not sure what sort of market share Pentax have here, but I'll bet its a little wider than the worldwide numbers.

To contrast this, Vistek - one of our largest photography chains - doesn't mention the A900 on their webpage, Sony's flagship. When contacting the nearest Sony store, I was directed to the one branch in the city who had it - they had one and none of the ZAs. When I went to the store to pick it up, the salesman told me it was nice to meet someone who "knew what all this meant" regarding the specs. I got a good price on it, which takes the sting out but I really think Sony is the one fighting a battle in Canada for the hearts and minds of photographers.
02-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Fwiw, it seems Pentax are well stocked in Canada at least. And Prodigital2000 is by now a world famous place to buy cheap Pentax kit. My local pro camera store has the full line of Pentax stuff in a spot on the shelf closest to the door and I've seen people buying it while making my rounds. I'm not sure what sort of market share Pentax have here, but I'll bet its a little wider than the worldwide numbers.

To contrast this, Vistek - one of our largest photography chains - doesn't mention the A900 on their webpage, Sony's flagship. When contacting the nearest Sony store, I was directed to the one branch in the city who had it - they had one and none of the ZAs. When I went to the store to pick it up, the salesman told me it was nice to meet someone who "knew what all this meant" regarding the specs. I got a good price on it, which takes the sting out but I really think Sony is the one fighting a battle in Canada for the hearts and minds of photographers.
Pentax products are at the Pro stores, London Drugs, Blacks and, yes they do have a fair amount of Pentax equipment in these shops...the pro shops and London Drugs....but Pentax does not have much of a presence at big box electronic stores..where you can find Nikon and Canon DSLR's from basic up to about the Canon D50/ Nikon D90 level. The big box don't have much in the line of anything beyond basic lenses and the clerks are not as knowledgeable as they are at the other places...but they have C + N product there and this is where newbies generally go for products and first see DSLR's while they are looking at the P + S stuff.
02-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's another Erik who originally narrowed down his purchase options for his first DSLR to Pentax and Olympus, and I'm sure I qualify as young at only 18 (17 then). I went with Olympus because the E-330 kit was only $440 on Amazon, even though what I really wanted was a K10D (or an E-3, for that matter, but that was the same price as two K10Ds). A bit more than a year later, I'm selling off my $700 worth in 4/3 lenses (summer emplyment was a big help) to finance the vastly more capable K20D and some equally wonderful k-mount glass. All the same, I'm probably going to keep my E-330 around with the kit lens for the live-view; as much as some find it useless, I've found there are some situations where it's incredibly useful. I might get some cheap old macro lenses to put on the front. I don't think I could sell the beaten-up old thing for more than $200 anyways. That way, I'll be a real 2-system shooter! Not that that really means anything.

But it's true, Pentax is not a mass marketer. Since I frequent magazines like Backpacker and similar-interest publications, in which both pentax and olympus buy frequent ad space, I've probably got more exposure than a lot of young people to their advertising, but really the people most likely to find pentax are the ones who aren't really interested in what name is printed on the pop-up flash and who get out and do a lot of research on what the market has to offer. In such cases, Pentax distinguishes itself as a clear contender.
02-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Pen....tax? the hell is that?

here in sydney afaik, the "bigger" chains like Ted's and Paxtons arent keen on selling Pentax stuff, although Paxtons does have a shelf for them - they don't have a lot of their stuff, just uh, a lot of one thing (like lots of 18-55's for some reason)...

other places like Fletchers, Foto Riesel and (Digital) Camera Warehouse know what they're talking about and catalogue everything and are happy to order in anything you need from the australian pentax distributor...

02-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
give Pentax to best buy , wall mart, target and so on and people will buy.
you have to pay BIG bucks to those stores so that they'll stock your product. renting shelf space, it's called. and if you want top-shelf prime placement it costs A LOT.

who pays for that in the end?

the customer.

so by saving on non-value-added expenses like those and big bucks advertising pentax can sell cameras online for less.

that seems to be the strategy they're following.
02-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #25
Pentaxian

imo Pentax is like Leica, without the price tag
02-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
It's funny that you say that, because a lot of my all-time favorite photographers used Leica rangefinders, and when I'm using my Limited primes I pretend that I am too!
02-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
so we shouldn't be bagging Ned on his purchase then :P
02-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #28
Forum Member

I am a high school student, and I'll tell you that Pentax definitely does not do a sufficient job advertising. I may go to a small school, but I'm, without a doubt, the only person with a Pentax. And Rochester, home of Kodak, has a pretty big photography community. High school students are not going to buy the most expensive cameras, so they look exclusively at low priced DSLR's. The obvious first choice, for them, is the Nikon D40. Four of my fellow students have that model (or perhaps the D40x), one has a one of the Canon Rebel's, and then there's me.

I was really the only one who did significant independent research before purchasing, and I found that the K10d was the best camera for the money: built-in IS (no need to purchase lenses with it) and it's ruggedness and weather-sealing are a life saver for someone who carries stuff around in a backpack. Essentially, it's the perfect camera for a student. But no one knows about it.

Everyone sees the Nikon advertisements on TV with Ashton Kutcher or whatever his name is, and everyone sees all the professionals at the football games with big old Canons.

Sony has a few advertisements that I've seen, but they get their sales, from what I can tell, from the Circuit City/Best Buy kind of stores. That's where people around here go to get electronics- you can try them out, they're on display, all the accessories you need are for sale, and you'll probably get a decent price. There are surprisingly few camera stores around here; when I was shopping around for my K10d, I called all the stores in the area. None had a Pentax DSLR (not even the one that carried exclusively Pentax for years, the one from which I purchased a Pentax point-and-shoot a few years ago), and one store carried the Samsung equivalent.

Most people I know are not willing to make such a valuable purchase without seeing the thing first, so Pentax would never be taken into consideration.
02-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Hey, I'm at a highschool just a couple hours southeast of you. I hope the weather off Lake Ontario is being kinder to you all up in Rochester than Lake Erie's being to us down by Dunkirk...

fwiw, I'm also at a small highschool, and the only other two people I know who have DSLRs are one with a Canon 40D and a couple L lenses and a several-thousand-dollar flash system who makes a good amount of money doing sports and weddings, and my friend who bought an Olympus E-410 2-lens kit as per my suggestion when he was on a $500 budget, and he's been happy as can be ever since. Most students here don't even know what a DSLR is, it seems. However, they can name "Canon" or "Nikon" pretty easily, the only ones who know of "Pentax" associate the name with the few surviving old K1000s in our photo class.
02-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #30
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I would disagree that old older owners are aware of the brand. The poll I started a few days ago here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/48977-age-average-pentax-...marketing.html is a small sample so far but the under 30 year old groupl is so far the biggest.

I will agree that Pentax marketing ranks right up there with "military intelligence" in top oxymoron phrases.