Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a good deal of discussion here at this forum to the effect that Pentax is either unwilling or unable to properly market their product.

That said, I think we need to tip our cap to them for making this offer available. There is strength in numbers, for sure, and the DSLR world is so competitive that this is needed to increase Pentax' numbers.

I hope it brings many new people to the world of Pentax, because I honestly feel it is a great place to be.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 02-05-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling
02-06-2009, 02:25 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Same as the Sony 'SURE" program

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Recently we've been wondering with what's going on with all the dealer jacking up the price of the Pentax cameras especially K20D.
And we've been under impression that the dealers are stealing our rebate.
But read this post by one of Pentax dealer on other forum's thread:

Re: Another rip-off: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Surprising indeed!
Isn't this going to be fun to watch. Wonder how Prodigital 2000 will react. I've got to give Pentax/Hoya credit for having the hutzpah for trying this move. If they make it stick a lot of dealers will be dropping them and others will climb on the bandwagon.

They must have costs down far enough to be willing to live with reduced volume. In this economy it may be a brilliant move. It will take away the fun of fishing around the net for a lower price and will certainly raise the price of Pentax goods. It should also level the playing field between online pricing and the prices that will be found at Brick and mortar dealers. That will make some on this forum very happy. The price at B & H will be the same as say a small shop in the suburbs of Chicago. There are of course ways around this and it will be fun watching the different games that the smart online seller will start using to get around this price fixing.

The bottom line is Pentax/Hoya seem determined to set the brand up as premium product as opposed to a value added one. They better be ready with some unique products to make this work. For us bargain hunters we may benefit when they misjudge what the market perceives as a good price and they have to scramble at the end of a product cycle with deep discounts to meet needed volumes.

If they hold to this policy and the K30D proves out to be just what I want, I'd say it will be a solid 18 months before I buy one. Not only will I have to wait for the first adapters to buy at full price but now I've got to wait for the Pentax marketing people to realize the original price is to high and to move any volume they will have to have huge end of model clearance deals.
02-06-2009, 02:47 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Price

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/49923-help-me-out-quickly.html

I got my k20d very cheap.

But He told me that the prices are raise at lenses because of the weak swedish krona. It seams strange, becasue the dollar or euro is not so weak, but it's still expensive.

Pentax had went to him and told him to have the price 9400 swedish kronor for K20d+16-45. It's a amazing deal! They was to have this offer short time, and pentax wanted him to try to sell as much as possible.

Here in sweden K20d is still lower price then ever. Why?
02-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #34

Or a tactic to get people to commit to 'BUY, BUY, BUY'? Nothing more tempting than the fear of having to pay more to extract cash right now. Confidence is a marketable commodity.

Cynical? More than likely. I guess we'll find out.

02-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
It's useful to me for the vertical shutter release alone. Plus, it balances better with heavier lenses attached. And it's dirt cheap right now
i'm not saying it's a bad grip, it's that i want the e-dials and green button. no point having the vertical release when i have to go to the camera's release just to meter and change exposure...
02-06-2009, 06:03 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Sorry I can't see it - Where does it state that the K20D will be discontinued?

Last edited by Falcons; 02-06-2009 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
02-06-2009, 06:07 AM   #37

let's hope it also extends to the UK
02-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #38
Veteran Member

There are big threads on DPR about this, some saying it is a move to inventory reduction, others hat it is a price stabilization tactic. Believe what you want. What I can tell is that now that the rebates are in effect the prices seem to be higher than they were before. That makes it just a bit harder for me to believe the inventory reduction as opposed to the price stabilization theory.

Although with the way Pentax Sales & Marketing behave it is hard to tell that they have any cohesive strategy for anything that they do.

Maybe the moderators should combine the two or three threads on this topic into one.

02-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Oi, that doesn't sound good at all. I'm not too sure that Hoya is in a position of power to strong-arm dealers, and risk fewer and fewer merchants carrying Pentax gear (less exposure to the buying public).

Do we have store owners or people friends with store owners from other parts of the world? I'm curious to know if this is strictly a Pentax USA thing, or a worldwide issue.
02-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #40
Veteran Member

pentax prices should have never dropped this low in the first place.

there should be a certain status quo for professional grade photography.
02-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Oi, that doesn't sound good at all. I'm not too sure that Hoya is in a position of power to strong-arm dealers, and risk fewer and fewer merchants carrying Pentax gear (less exposure to the buying public).

Do we have store owners or people friends with store owners from other parts of the world? I'm curious to know if this is strictly a Pentax USA thing, or a worldwide issue.
It's not a matter of strong arming the brick and mortar stores but offering them a way of making more profit and being competitive with the big online dealers. If played right, and that needs to be emphasized because of Pentax's poor marketing history, they can offer the brick and mortar store a much more profitable line of goods. With everybody selling at the price Pentax fixes the small dealer can make more than they can with any other brand. This could encourage them to not only stock but promote Pentax.

Granted, as customers. we will be paying 10-20% more than in the past but it could be good for Pentax. The two keys are will Pentax implement the plan correctly and can they come up with product that can be separated from other brands by unique features.
02-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
pentax prices should have never dropped this low in the first place.

there should be a certain status quo for professional grade photography.
I have to disagree, there: that's the kind of attitude, that, frankly, means a lot of people without talent can buy their way into business, simply if they have *money,* ...and with it, a lot of expectations that if you don't have the best gear, you mustn't be good enough, cause clearly you aren't making money. The price of gear shouldn't be the gatekeeper. I've taught too many kids who can't just run out and drop a few grand to think much of someone's ability just cause they can afford a bunch of expensive stuff. (Also, it's just the mentality that means Canon and Nikon can get people to shell out *for* the names, whatever the cameras can do at a given price point)

One of the reasons I bought *in* to Pentax gear is that they didn't seem to be holding back on the useful stuff in an affordable for the sake of 'forcing' purchases of more expensive models with whatever bells-and-whistles. 'Professional,' for what the term's worth, is making a profit, not meeting some class standard.

Presuming there's any truth to the bit of angry buzz about this maneuver from Pentax, well, here's a way to get that retail exposure everyone wants to see: if Pentax stuff is profitable to sell, then stores will sell it. If retail stores have to compete with the ongoing price-wars that eat their margin on things, they're going to want to sell volumes of the bigger brands and all the incentives those companies provide. If *all* the retailers are getting those prices, then they won't have to fight each other to the point the Pentax stuff isn't worth stocking.

I'd presume the idea of the rebates combined with the price controls is to get all this to happen without passing too much of it on to new customers.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-06-2009 at 09:21 AM.
02-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #43
Veteran Member

It costs more to deal Pentax than Canon & Nikon require:

Last year my local dealer got hit with $100,000 annual minimum order to keep their pentax franchise. Neither Canon or Nikon do this. Olympus started the $100,000 annual buy~in the prior year.

Just this alone will keep the local small dealers from carrying Pentax Brand. Now on Pentax website I see Costco and Sam Club and BestBuy and 8 walmarts are listed as Pentax dealers.

3 Points:

Its easy for big box stores to cover the $100,000 annual minimum.

Walmart wants lowest wholesale price so amazon selling K20D for $549 with 3 year extended warranty right before Christmas 2008 likely hurts pentax dealings with Walmart. Right? Walmart sees this and wants lower wholesale price point.

And My two BestBuys, My two Costco, My two Sams Clubs and three of the eight walmarts listed as Pentax dealers on Pentax USA website I visited over the holidaze DO NOT STOCK PENTAX. You can however buy it online. But it does not exist in their stores. And why exactly would I want to buy it online as opposed to shopping for best out of state prices & out of country prices?

I know these places do not stock Pentax because I asked while on my annual holidaze shopping loops & got:

Blank stares, to whats that? ,to NO WE DO NOT CARRY THAT BRAND!

So if pentax wants to level this playing field, they need to ditch the $100,000 annual minimums and do whatever Canon and Nikon do, which is NO minimums to keep your established franshise viable for the moment... It could change, they too could impose new minimums, but Pentax following Olympus concerning 100K Minimum made BOTH of their product lines DISAPPEAR in my tiny half million person sized county.

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
It's not a matter of strong arming the brick and mortar stores but offering them a way of making more profit and being competitive with the big online dealers. If played right, and that needs to be emphasized because of Pentax's poor marketing history, they can offer the brick and mortar store a much more profitable line of goods. With everybody selling at the price Pentax fixes the small dealer can make more than they can with any other brand. This could encourage them to not only stock but promote Pentax.

Granted, as customers. we will be paying 10-20% more than in the past but it could be good for Pentax. The two keys are will Pentax implement the plan correctly and can they come up with product that can be separated from other brands by unique features.
02-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think Wal-Mart is really that great a boon for Pentax to be worried about chasing. What do they have? If you're an amateur looking to pay six hundred for a Rebel XT on a chain, with no sales help in sight if they were useful, or the thing had power, they're your one-stop shopping extravaganza.

I don't think Pentax needs to be jockeying for position on the 'Hey, here's some ignoreable crap from Wal-Mart' counter.

Still, I'd agree that imposing minimums on smaller dealers doesn't seem to be a good way to go.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-06-2009 at 10:17 AM.
02-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #45
Veteran Member

there are more poor people than rich

i would rather have the photographer base be watered down with the few rich people trying out a new toy, than completely washed out with a typhoon of soccer moms and what not.

as for teaching poor kids, thats what the pawn shops, school inventory, and ebay are for.

and for the kids with slightly more scratch, entry level stuff.

back in the day, when someone started out with film, did they buy the most expensive colour slide film? NO, and did professional slide film ever drop in price? eh?

Besides Pentax already was the "cheaper" option, now its pretty much free!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I have to disagree, there: that's the kind of attitude, that, frankly, means a lot of people without talent can buy their way into business, simply if they have *money,* ...and with it, a lot of expectations that if you don't have the best gear, you mustn't be good enough, cause clearly you aren't making money. The price of gear shouldn't be the gatekeeper. I've taught too many kids who can't just run out and drop a few grand to think much of someone's ability just cause they can afford a bunch of expensive stuff. (Also, it's just the mentality that means Canon and Nikon can get people to shell out *for* the names, whatever the cameras can do at a given price point)

One of the reasons I bought *in* to Pentax gear is that they didn't seem to be holding back on the useful stuff in an affordable for the sake of 'forcing' purchases of more expensive models with whatever bells-and-whistles. 'Professional,' for what the term's worth, is making a profit, not meeting some class standard.

Presuming there's any truth to the bit of angry buzz about this maneuver from Pentax, well, here's a way to get that retail exposure everyone wants to see: if Pentax stuff is profitable to sell, then stores will sell it. If retail stores have to compete with the ongoing price-wars that eat their margin on things, they're going to want to sell volumes of the bigger brands and all the incentives those companies provide. If *all* the retailers are getting those prices, then they won't have to fight each other to the point the Pentax stuff isn't worth stocking.

I'd presume the idea of the rebates combined with the price controls is to get all this to happen without passing too much of it on to new customers.