DP Review modifies K2000 Review

K2000 review revised: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Increases jpg's by 1 point

02-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Just found this while looking over the review again:

02-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Maybe they just discovered that the sharpness of the output Jpeg pictures can be modified as the photographer want's it
02-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

DPR used to list the K20D sensor as a CCD

take everything DPR says with a grain of salt, cuz they went to shit lately.

02-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I found this post a real eye-opener:

How do you evaluate quality of JPEGs?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

This post with examples really shows WHY the light meter of our Pentaxes are underexposing a little: to preserve blown highlights and -in this case- preserving detail/textures in the whites.

Give me a Pentax any day...
02-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
Maybe they just discovered that the sharpness of the output Jpeg pictures can be modified as the photographer want's it
From the post linked to above, written by the reviewer:

I was disappointed to see us being accused of only testing the default settings, having spent a considerable amount of time trying to adjust the sharpness settings to get best out of the JPEGs (shown on page 22 of the review).
I still think their overall conclusion is a bit unfair given their tendency to give everything high marks (with "recommended" being diluted to the point of being a negative rating.)

Part of the problem is over-emphasis of image quality factors which can be easily converted into numbers — pixel-peeping sharpness and "detail" being ideal. And the fact is these factors are, on an absolute scale, virtually identical on all decent modern cameras in the same price range. This means that trivial differences get blown into big deals in order to make the review seem like it's technically thorough. (Never mind what the actual photographs look like.)

That said, some of their functional complaints are legitimate. Not showing where the focus points are means it's pointless to have more than just the center point. And leaving out the rotation sensor is gratuitous cost-cutting which removes a very practical feature simply because it doesn't show up high in feature checklists. (Honestly, I think my K100D-to-K10D upgrade paid for itself in time saved rotating photos alone.)

Last edited by mattdm; 02-05-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: speling typo
02-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
That said, some of their functional complaints are legitimate. Not showing where the focus points are means it's pointless to have more than just the center point. And leaving out the rotation sensor is gratuitous cost-cutting which removes a very practical feature simply because it doesn't show up high in feature checklists. (Honestly, I think my K100D-to-K10D upgrade paid for itself in time saved rotating photos alone.)
I agree with you, Matt in the sense that the "old Pentax" - K-m was their last product at least in the approved blueprint had a very strange way to "cheapen" a nice product with really petty economies such as the 4 frame jpg buffer for the K200D (about 5 in K-m) and those two you mentioned.

Let's see what Hoya can do ...
Radu
02-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Just found this while looking over the review again:

And it seems the monetary conversion is questionable throughout. In some cases a £10 difference is anywhere from $12 to $72.

02-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
And it seems the monetary conversion is questionable throughout. In some cases a £10 difference is anywhere from $12 to $72.
I don't think they're converting the same number into two different currencies. I think they're getting separate US and UK price information from two different data sources.

At least I hope so, because just converting at the exchange rate wouldn't reflect reality very well.