Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

CIPA Global Dslrs numbers for 2008 are out & forcasts 2009-2011

Don't know if link will work. The CIPA dslr and attached lens digital camera numbers are out. Total sales for everyone combined. We're still a month away from Pentax and Nikon and Canon and Olympus ect totals for 2008. You know the global numbers for each manufacturer. Millions of dslrs being sold annually thesedays. Anybody know of a link that has total full frame dslr production numbers for maybe 2007 or 2008 ? I've never seen that data.

Heres the CIPA data, if it links?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NPICS1/cipa.press090127_e.pdf

02-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting resource. Thanks for posting.

For later reference, I would like to extract some rounded info from the resource:

P&S: ~100 million units, not growing
DSLR: ~10 million units, annual growth about 7.5% (record growth 2008: 30%)
Lens: ~ 15 million units, annual growth about 7%

DSLR market shares:
Europe: 37%
Asia: 31% (incl. Japan: 13%)
North America: 30%
Others: 2%
02-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Very interesting resource. Thanks for posting.

For later reference, I would like to extract some rounded info from the resource:

P&S: ~100 million units, not growing
DSLR: ~10 million units, annual growth about 7.5% (record growth 2008: 30%)
Lens: ~ 15 million units, annual growth about 7%

DSLR market shares:
Europe: 37%
Asia: 31% (incl. Japan: 13%)
North America: 30%
Others: 2%
Please read the last paragraph.

These numbers are mad fantasy. Even Nikon are expecting a contraction in all markets. Growth? Are you kidding?

Hence they will revisit these numbers during 1Q09 (that April-Jun) when the trends have emerged.
02-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Total $'s from Sales versus Unit Sales.

Always two ways to look at these stats. Total sales versus Unit sales. This link is # of unit sales. Nikon has four dslrs above $1299. Canon has three. Olympus has one and Pentax has none.

Predictions in a recession that could become a depression is likely hard to predict.

I still find the 2008 data intersting in that unit sales were dramamtically up even though usa was in recession all of 2008 and didn't we drag alot of you all down with us?

Every dslr you place in a buyers hands is a potentional lens and assessory sale too. Theres far more assessories & add ons with each dslr sale, now and in future and not so much on point and shoot sales. What, maybe an extra battery or typically pityful optics wide angle or telephoto clamp on lens.

I can see it both ways:

The CIPA guidance is spot on, or Yen GROWS even stronger against the world and imaging equiptment sales really tank due numerous exchange rate price increases thru 2011 guidance date. Manufactures compete with each other and US TOO. Prices get crazy high on new stuff and maybe I'll sell off a couple lenses I could live without for what I paid new or maybe more. 4/5's of my canon and Nikon lenses I bought brand new in 2008 are $160 to $300 higher. None are lower. A couple are the same.

In a month we'll have total unit sales broken down by manufacturer. I still wish i could come up with unit sales data of full frame dslrs & medium format digitals too. You know, just to know. What the heck.

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Please read the last paragraph.

These numbers are mad fantasy. Even Nikon are expecting a contraction in all markets. Growth? Are you kidding?

Hence they will revisit these numbers during 1Q09 (that April-Jun) when the trends have emerged.

02-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't say I'm encouraging *anyone* to buy stock in any camera companies, right now, ...someone near and dear just watched their supposedly-safe 401K end up worth a quarter what it was supposed to be by now from five years ago.

Corporate balance sheets? Pentax not big enough? Are you *serious?*

I'm thinking a DSLR is in deep enough for me, thanks very much.

People quoting these kinds of figures like it meant you could buy a car or keep your house got us *into* this mess.

Maybe I'd buy some Hoya stock if I had some mad money to bet while things blow, but, well. Limited glass still exists when bubbles are admitted to have burst.

The companies with the big numbers in any major durable goods or financial or health care or insurance industry claimed just the same number made them 'safe.'

Even Toyota's losing money.

Yaknow?

Boo hoo.

I don't care if they make it in a tin-roofed *shack* as long as they make it, and they do it without making a cut-rate sweatshop of it.

I don't care if it has 40whachimaggogit video to be watched on some TV I don't have and anyone who does got it repossessed, made in sweatshops by people I dunno so some stock or sales figure can go big by people who leverage marketing figures and stock prices paid by a bunch of idiots who never had to get focus in their lives to claim that they're 'winning' and therefore must somehow be making a better product.....

Maybe it's too Yankee of me, but I bet there's a number of folks out there who'd just as soon be doing it right for some kind of fair pay.

Rich people can pay for name recognition, like their banks.

Reason Toyota got a good rep wasn't from trying to make giant SUVs cause that was what the 'Invisible hand of the market' said was the only way to get financed to speculate to overextend as the only way to 'make big money.'

They got their name from making cars you could get that didn't break too much and were fixible, and, actually drove pretty good.

Actually, in Toyota's case, they made their money and reputation here in America by selling trustworthy things when the 'news' was saying they shouldn't, yaknow?

Which is to say.

Basics.

Then you get fancy.

Not the other way around.
02-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Say it like it is, girl!

Boy that coffee smells good. Think it'll wake me right up....

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Can't say I'm encouraging *anyone* to buy stock in any camera companies, right now, ...someone near and dear just watched their supposedly-safe 401K end up worth a quarter what it was supposed to be by now from five years ago.

Corporate balance sheets? Pentax not big enough? Are you *serious?*

I'm thinking a DSLR is in deep enough for me, thanks very much.

People quoting these kinds of figures like it meant you could buy a car or keep your house got us *into* this mess.

Maybe I'd buy some Hoya stock if I had some mad money to bet while things blow, but, well. Limited glass still exists when bubbles are admitted to have burst.

The companies with the big numbers in any major durable goods or financial or health care or insurance industry claimed just the same number made them 'safe.'

Yaknow?

Boo hoo.

I don't care if they make it in a tin-roofed *shack* as long as they make it, and they do it without making a cut-rate sweatshop of it.

I don't care if it has 40whachimaggogit video to be watched on some TV I don't have and anyone who does got it repossessed, made in sweatshops by people I dunno so some stock or sales figure can go big by people who leverage marketing figures and stock prices paid by a bunch of idiots who never had to get focus in their lives to claim that they're 'winning' and therefore must somehow be making a better product.....

Maybe it's too Yankee of me, but I bet there's a number of folks out there who'd just as soon be doing it right for some kind of fair pay.

Rich people can pay for name recognition, like their banks.

Reason Toyota got a good rep wasn't from trying to make giant SUVs cause that was what the 'Invisible hand of the market' said was the only way to get financed to speculate to overextend as the only way to 'make big money.'

They got their name from making cars you could get that didn't break too much and were fixible, and, actually drove pretty good.

Actually, in Toyota's case, they made their money and reputation here in America by selling trustworthy things when the 'news' was saying they shouldn't, yaknow?

Which is to say.

Basics.

Then you get fancy.

Not the other way around.
02-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
They aren't actually loosing money, their profits just didn't increase as much as they expected.
02-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
=
I still find the 2008 data intersting in that unit sales were dramamtically up even though usa was in recession all of 2008 and didn't we drag alot of you all down with us?
Americans continued to spend like drunken sailors through much of 2008. The "recession" wasn't really realized by the masses and reflected in lower spending until Q4.

02-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's some insight into nikon's last Q of 2008 sales and their outlook:

I'm adding this link to give an idea to whats happening in imaging marketplace from nikon point of view from one of their fans. I may add other brand links as the info emerges in these internets including Pentax unit numbers , total sales & outlook. I think Hoya is due to publish/release something soon, if I recall correctly?

Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide

Don't know if link will work. The CIPA dslr and attached lens digital camera numbers are out. Total sales for everyone combined. We're still a month away from Pentax and Nikon and Canon and Olympus ect totals for 2008. You know the global numbers for each manufacturer. Millions of dslrs being sold annually thesedays. Anybody know of a link that has total full frame dslr production numbers for maybe 2007 or 2008 ? I've never seen that data.

Heres the CIPA data, if it links?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NPICS1/cipa.press090127_e.pdf
02-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #10

I think Hoya is due to publish/release something soon, if I recall correctly?
This is the "translation" they provide on their website for the 3 month ended 12/31/08. They released earnings on 2/5. In a nutshell: Pentax sales were down 36% in Q4 as compared to the previous year. On a positive note, Hoya is still profitable.

here's the link: HOYA CORPORATION|Investor Relations

3. Pentax
As for the medical endoscope of PENTAX, sales decreased in comparison to the same period of the
previous year due to an appreciaion of the Yen, in spite of the favorable trend of a new endoscope
system compatible with mega-pixel imaging in overseas markets. For digital cameras, sales
decreased due to sales decline in compact cameras, and also single lens reflex cameras recorded
negative growth because of the fierce price competition in th market.
This section has been implementing a structural reorganization in view of future growth, and recorded
operating loss in this quarter under review, posting expenses for reviewing business strategies,
organizational changes, as well as revaluation of assets, etc., in addition of goodwill amortization
generated upon integration. As a result, sales in this section amounted to Yen 30,643 million and
recorded operating loss of Yen 1,433 million.