Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Aussie online store has dropped K200D

This may interest some other Aussies on here (certainly interests me) Digital Camera Warehouse one of the more prominent On line retailers is now only advertising the K20D on their site.
The K200D has been totally removed, which means on their home page Pentax is listed as from $1,225 which should scare off most first time and budget DSLR buyers.
I find this a pity as I believe the K200D has a lot going for it in its price range.

Anyone in the know on what is happening here? Perhaps it is a backlash to Teds receiving exclusivity on the Pentax K-M? Maybe they just weren't selling K200D's.

Here is the link to the now only Pentax K20D on the Pentax page.
Pentax Digital SLR Cameras - Buy CHEAP dSLR

02-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. I got my K20 from DCW mid last year for around $1200.
JB Hifi and Good Guys carry K200 but not K20.
Looks like Pentax is placing entry-level cameras in consumer electronic stores.
I think this is a good move to gain market share.
02-07-2009, 03:14 AM   #3

consumer electronic stores?

i've seen the K200D in Officeworks and Big-W. Big-W's always had some pentax stuff, but Officeworks????

Yeah, the DCW thing scared me too...hmm...

EDIT: i went to CRK on thursday afternoon to get my K200D fixed (K200D + Grip + Tammy 70-300 + 2X Teleconverter was too heavy for cheap inca QR plate ) , and in their little service area, they had the K20D and the K-m. no K200D, though one of the salesman there briefly mentioned the K200D. also, it's not exclusive to Teds anymore. I've seen the K-m at Michaels and Vanbar, though considerably more expensive than Teds. the Single lens Kit at Michaels was as expensive as the twin kit at Teds

Teds have always been a CRK supporter. so it's no suprise that they got exclusivity. I remember as a kit that the only SLRs being mentioned on TV were Ads from Teds for the MZ60

to me, it says more that the there's a K300D on the small horizon. Remember, we got the K20D and K200D fairly quickly after last year's PMA, and JB Hifi were selling them cheaper than HK

Last edited by nakey; 02-07-2009 at 03:55 AM.
02-07-2009, 05:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Roland Mabo, who is active in DPReview forum and often has some inside information, told a few weeks ago that K200D is not manufactured anymore. All shops just sell old stock.

It is very possible that CR Kennedy sold all their K200D stock and now they are waiting K300D to arrive.

BTW Camera Warehouse still have K200D for $600 http://www.camera-warehouse.com.au/p/pentax-k200d. Killer price. And $1225 for K20D is extremely attractive price.

02-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
the Single lens Kit at Michaels was as expensive as the twin kit at Teds
not strange for Michaels, they seem oblivious to the prices outside their store (I guess so do their customers?)

QuoteQuote:
Teds have always been a CRK supporter. so it's no suprise that they got exclusivity.
See I find that funny as the two times of late I have gone in their the salesman tries to talk me out of getting anything not made by his personal diety - CANON. And an ex staff member told me they are VERY canon focused.. They advertise a lot of other stuff, but it seems to me once you go in that city store they push canon down your throat, to the point I no longer even walk in their door.. YMMV I guess? maybe I just get the bad salesman? I admit, I have been to a non Melbourne city store and they weren't the same...

And WOW that K200d is really cheap... $599 BUT it is even cheaper at Vanbar, only $572 on their website....
02-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
not strange for Michaels, they seem oblivious to the prices outside their store (I guess so do their customers?)
Michaels, i can understand. but when Vanbar sell a K-m Body only (wtf?) for more than Teds for their 18-55 Kit, something's wrong there...

notibly, Vanbar also don't sell the DA L kit either. it's either body only or with DA 16-45

See I find that funny as the two times of late I have gone in their the salesman tries to talk me out of getting anything not made by his personal diety - CANON. And an ex staff member told me they are VERY canon focused.. They advertise a lot of other stuff, but it seems to me once you go in that city store they push canon down your throat, to the point I no longer even walk in their door.. YMMV I guess? maybe I just get the bad salesman? I admit, I have been to a non Melbourne city store and they weren't the same...
Nope, i agree. last time i walked into Teds to look at the K-m, the clueless lady there wasn't helpful at all.

Teds, as a company, have always been big CR K supporters. the staff in the shops, Canon users... I saw one girl try and convince a customer to buy a 1000D instead of a D90

(not that that succeeded, btw, the customer left the shop with a K20D )

It's fun to troll in their shops i specifically ask about pentax stuff, and i loudly correct then when they're wrong (as they're invariably are).

And WOW that K200d is really cheap... $599 BUT it is even cheaper at Vanbar, only $572 on their website....
Was 559 at DCW... 599+1 was how much i got mine back in july...
02-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Believe it or not they were selling a K200d kit on TVSN (TV Shopping Network, on Foxtel) last night, $695.oo with 1g card and bag.

Never thought would see the day

02-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangitata Quote
Believe it or not they were selling a K200d kit on TVSN (TV Shopping Network, on Foxtel) last night, $695.oo with 1g card and bag.

Never thought would see the day
I think the end of the world is nigh if Pentax gear is popping up on that
02-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I think the end of the world is nigh if Pentax gear is popping up on that
Pentax would appear in really strange places lately. I was shopping on Home Depot website a few days ago. Yep, the Home Depot - construction materials, etc. , when Pentax K20D popped out in my search.

I never new Home Depot sell SLR cameras, but not only they do , they sell Pentax DSLRs and lenses too.
Maybe this is one of the new visions about tough, small, whether proof cameras and prime lenses. You know, construction workers can use this DSLR while working on a roof or fixing your toilet, etc.
02-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

A$579 for a k200D at Camera House http://www.cameraaction.com.au/call1300-303-191/dept.asp?dept=18&brand=Pentax
02-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I'd say they aren't selling the k200d because the supplier is out of stock. I work for a retailer in Australia and we can't get any more stock of the k200d. Same with K20d twin kits.
There is no backlash against Pentax at all.
02-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nakey, I even saw TV advertising from office works promoting the sale of the 200d at a discount price. They still sell here.