Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
The rumors of an APS-H sensor for the K30D (1.3x crop factor) had me thinking. Would that explain why Pentax's ultrawide are not as wide as would be expected. If Pentax is planning on an APS-H sensor, it needs to keep its high end lenses to work with that sensor size.

All just thoughts, not even rumors.

Theres no such rumor. Just baseless speculation. In fact, and APS-H sensor is less likely than a 35mp K-mount Pentax for release next week.

02-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Has anyone gone through the DA lenses on full frame thread and checked which will work on 1.3x?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html
From my tests, at least the DA40 and DA70 would upgrade from + to +++.

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
There is a huge thread in xitek.com that documents all the DA lenses used on film cameras.
Thanks for the link. I merged the extra bit of info there into "our" thread above. Unfortunately, the Chinese sites seems to lack any resolution tests.

BTW, what is the OP's point?
Pentax has or plans 12-24mm, 14mm, 15mm (ignoring the fisheye). All of this exists for full frame as well. To match a full frame rectilinear 12mm (like the Sigma which is a wonderful lens) on APS-H, they would have to plan for a 9mm, or a 8mm for APS-C. Like 6mm for FourThirds and matched by Olympus 7mm zoom.

This would mean that Pentax never even planned for APS-C. Because they never announced anything near 8mm.

ADD-ON:
I checked the 35mm Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 vs. Olympus 7-14mm f/4. Both have similiar resolution and the Sigma is even a bit lighter while catching a bit more light (24/5.6= 4.3mm; 14/4=3.5mm). But the Olympus is more than twice the price. This makes it less obvious that a camera with the smaller sensor must result in the cheaper system. Not necessarily so. What I already tried to say in some of the other threads. And I don't favour any sensor size here!

Last edited by falconeye; 02-07-2009 at 05:21 PM.
02-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Canon APS-C lenses do not work on Full Frame or APS-H

Canon put themselves in a corner in changing the mount and pushing back the rear lens element on aps-c lenses. Nikon however does not have this problem. You can use aps-c nikon lenses on full frame but lets say you've got a 12mp D700, aps-c glass is only using 5mp of the sensor.

The theory is iF PENTAX offered a full frame they too would be able to use aps-c glass on a smaller part of the sensor like nikon does since they did not change their mount like canon did.

I've got a D700 and I am considering one aps-c lens. I think for people who own alot of aps-c glass its a nice feature in upgrading to full frame with a bag full of glass. Owning no aps-c nikon glass makes me wonder if I should add one?

The one lens I am considering is 4.5mm f2.8 Sigma which is like a 6.75mm f2.8 circular fisheye on crop format. But only via 5mp part of 12mp nikon sensor. See, if Sigma made this lens in K Mount I'd get that instead & use it on all of my 15mp K20D sensor. No hurries, I'd prefer Pentax mount for more sensor mp's, so I'll wait. plus the price is up $200 in last 4 months. Ouch.

Anyone know if Sigma is planning to issue 4.5mm f2.8 in Pentax mount?

Oooh, Sigma is showing pentax mount now on 4.5mm f2.8 specs:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3336&navigator=6

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I know what you mean re: Canon and Nikon. Especially with Canon because as I understand it Canon's 35mm digital lenses won't work on one of their APS-C cameras (Although I could be wrong)
02-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
ADD-ON:
I checked the 35mm Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 vs. Olympus 7-14mm f/4. Both have similiar resolution and the Sigma is even a bit lighter while catching a bit more light (24/5.6= 4.3mm; 14/4=3.5mm). But the Olympus is more than twice the price. This makes it less obvious that a camera with the smaller sensor must result in the cheaper system. Not necessarily so. What I already tried to say in some of the other threads. And I don't favour any sensor size here!

It's probably good to keep in mind that the Olympus is built like a tank and fully weathersealed. That doesn't fully explain the price disparity, of course, but Olympus has a tendency to overprice its high-end lenses. Question as to the resolution, does that include corners and sides as well as the center?

Another point is that the Olympus is near-telecentric, which in theory provides superior optical performance. The only near-telecentric FF ultrawide zoom that I know of is the Nikon 14-24, which is an excellent lens, but a good bit larger than the olympus and at least as expensive. I don't want to know what that sigma would be like if it were designed for telecentricity.

Lastly, you can slap that expensive Olympus on an E-420 that you bought for $350 new and get great ultrawide results. The sigma requires a FF body, none of which are less than $2000 new. That kind of redistributes some of the cost-value question.

What I really want to see from pentax is a 9-18mm f4.5 or so.

02-08-2009, 05:03 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
I'd be happy with a APS-H camera. Especially if they don't go beyond 16MP.
Amen to that. Focus on image quality not high MP!!!!
02-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote

What I really want to see from pentax is a 9-18mm f4.5 or so.
What the hell dude? They've got a 10-17mm f3.5-4.5. Close enough much?
02-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bentax Quote
What the hell dude? They've got a 10-17mm f3.5-4.5. Close enough much?
Rectilinear 9-18. Not a fisheye. Sure, you can defish the 10-17, but then it's not as wide as 10mm any more.
02-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
Oh well, here is the link if you just want to see the pictures

Pentax胶片机身+DA镜头俱乐部 - 无忌论坛
I did not see any pictures that showed lack of coverage on FF - is there a link on the page I'm missing?

This thread had some interesting pictures. It looks like there are a number of lenses that would not work FF, but would probably work APS-H

02-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Doesn't the M8 use an APS-H?
Yes -- the M8 is a 1.33x "crop-factor."
02-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Rectilinear 9-18. Not a fisheye. Sure, you can defish the 10-17, but then it's not as wide as 10mm any more.
the widest pentax ever made THEN, was 15mm

AFAIK nikon has a 13mm, you dont want to check the price on that.....

http://www.findlens.info/Images/Original/3017cbc5-b271-43f4-a74d-0b49e87ffe52.jpg

remind me again where you get off asking for a 9mm rectilinear full frame?

not that its impossible, but i doubt anyone here would be able to afford one.

Last edited by Gooshin; 02-09-2009 at 02:01 PM.
02-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Heres a 7mm-14mm Oly Zoom

Oly is 2x so this is like a 14mm-28mm:

Olympus | 7-14mm f/4.0 Zuiko ED Zoom Lens | 261009 | B&H Photo

I own a tamron 14mm pentax af mount lens. I found it superior to my old 15mm SMC. Sold SMC, kept the Tamron. If Pentax ever goes full frame it will become a 14mm again, instead of 21mm f2.8 on aps-c.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

http://www.findlens.info/Images/Original/3017cbc5-b271-43f4-a74d-0b49e87ffe52.jpg

02-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

building short focal length lenses for cropped sensors is easy cheese.

i would like to see a consumer priced 9mm rectilinear lens that covers a 36X24 mm sensor/film.

also you said you sold your SMC, did you shoot it on film and compare it to the tamron as well? Many lenses that cover a FF circle are actually ass in real life exploitation, cropped sensors hide alot of their flaws.

Last edited by Gooshin; 02-09-2009 at 04:36 PM.
02-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Could you point out where I said it would be for full frame? Given, I did reference the Nikon 14-24, which is for FF, but I also referenced the Olympus 7-14, which is for 4/3, even smaller than APS-C.

Naturally for FF they're not going to go much wider than 13-14mm, if that. I am not interested in such lenses because I'm more likely to own an APS-C body, given the costs involved, in which case such a lens would be a medium-wide-angle. Rather I am interested in a lens starting in the 9-10mm range, for APS-C. I'd like to call it 9, just so they have something no other APS-C range has.

If they made a 9mm rectilinear FF lens I suspect it would be the size of a garbage can lid.
02-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I did use 15mm SMC on film body and then others too....

Yes, I've shot film with both. In fact I still have the ZX-L film body I bought 7 years ago new. I am not a fan of non A Aperture setting pentax lenses, but the 15mm pentax was my very first rectilinear. I bought it locally and owned no pentax body. Like new it ran me $265 with tax. A year later I got the ZX-L for the wife and to drive the 15mm f3.5. After that I bought a 14mm 2.8L FD Canon lens to use with my F-1 film bodies. After that I bought another identical 14mm 2.8 Tamron for Eos mount. Then a few months later I bought a Eos-3 film body to drive the second stellar rectilinear tamron. Both tamron 14mm 2.8 were better than both Pentax & Canon FD. Which shouldn't be so hard to believe. The Pentax design dates back to screwmount 1975 and the Canon FD dated back to 1981. Tamron are 1990 technology. An interesting observation I made is the Nikon 14mm 2.8 af lens elements are IDENTICAL to tamron and Nikon logo'd 14mm 2.8 came out a year after Tamron. I asked the tamron rep about this and he confirmed Tamron and Nikon collaborated on the 14mm 2.8 and this is why they are identical designs.

Nowdays I still own the two 14mm Tamron and last month I added 14-24mm f2.8 Nikon lens & D700 to drive it. The Nikon is THE BEST 14mm/15mm rectilinear I've owned: #5. And best of all its sharp across all focal lengths:

AMAZING Recilinear Zoom LENS!

I may or may not sell off the tamron eos mount 14mm to recoup some of the costs on Nikon lens and full frame D700 addition to my bag. I plan to do some head to head tests before I part with the tamron. I'll likely keep the 14mm Tamron for Pentax af for wife to use on K20D & Pentax ZX-L film body.

building short focal length lenses for cropped sensors is easy cheese.

i would like to see a consumer priced 9mm rectilinear lens that covers a 36X24 mm sensor/film.

also you said you sold your SMC, did you shoot it on film and compare it to the tamron as well? Many lenses that cover a FF circle are actually ass in real life exploitation, cropped sensors hide alot of their flaws.
02-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Doesn't the M8 use an APS-H?

[conspiracy theory hat]

And Ned publicly lauded Leica on his blog. Hmm...

K30d w/APS-H sensor, Pentax also announces an M-K adapter and the K30d essentially becomes the "low end" Leica interchangeable lens camera.

[/conspiracy theory hat]
M-K adapter? where did you hear this?