Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
then its a joke lens, wtf, only proves pentax is aiming at the "compact" market.
aps-c is not compact if I would need a compact camera (and I need one) I would get Olympus/ Panasonic.

my 31mm on my k20D giving me less bokeh then my 50mm f2 on my k1000. I always have to add DOF in PP
I don't need a FF the K20D have great resolution and I don't mind adding bokeh in photo shop. what I do need is a good mid range fast zoom.
the 16-50 2.8? perfect but its a lens for rent and not for buying as I will be renting it for 3-4 years until the world will move to FF and I will have to toss it away.
my wish is for Pentax to give me fast 24-70 and 70-300 in addition the the amazing 31, 43, 77 and 50 and all my worries about my Pentax gear will go away and I could love my Pentax for ever. and have better lenses than canon and nikon have

02-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #17
Pentaxian

"joke lens"? What are you talking about?
A FF 15mm f/4 lens would be big/heavy/expensive. The Pentax 15mm f/3.5 lenses were exactly like this.
I can't blame them for making a compact ultrawide limited, only for APS-C. It it's optically good and not very expensive, I'd say everything is OK.
02-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"joke lens"? What are you talking about?
A FF 15mm f/4 lens would be big/heavy/expensive. The Pentax 15mm f/3.5 lenses were exactly like this.
I can't blame them for making a compact ultrawide limited, only for APS-C. It it's optically good and not very expensive, I'd say everything is OK.
exactly!

its not a serious lens, small, slow, compact, gets the job done. So boring.
02-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

So any small, compact lens that gets the job done is "a joke"? OK, I've learned something new
Both directions: small, compact, affordable lenses with good quality and big premium lenses should be pursued, as there is nothing wrong with either approach - in fact that's a requirement for having a complete lens line. My 2 (euro)cents.

02-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FF sensors are much more expensive to make than APS-C and may not be necessary with the new sensor technology that is being developed:

Fujifilm UK - Press centre

Pentax would do well to develop ideas like those on the new Fuji CCD EXR sensors. This way they could produce an outstanding product with lower production costs than Canikons. We would win by being able to use all Pentax lenses to their fullest.
02-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why all the fuss?

there have been for years, lenses for full frame cameras that do not cover the entire film frame, but which offer a circular or semi circular image.

they are called fish eye lenses.

If I had a full frame DSLR, all I would want, is that that camera take what ever image was projected on to the sensor. If I put an ASP-C spefified lens on it, I would want the option to have either a circular full frame image or a cropped to ASP C image.

after all, if I put my only ASP-C lens (sigma 10-20) on my PZ-1, it works just fine except for vignetting below 13 mm, but I would hapily accept what ever image I got with it, scan it and decide in post processing what I would do
02-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Pentax would do well to develop ideas like those on the new Fuji CCD EXR sensors.
The EXR technique sounds good in concept, but you really have to check how it performs in the real world.
Folks in the Fuji DPR forum (including me) think it's still 1 stop less performance than our old Fuji F3x P&S cameras. The K10D was 1-1.5 stops better but images were sharper because of the lenses. Other P&S cameras were 2-3 stops less performance than the F3x...

So I still stick w/ my "big photosites = better high iso performance" mantra...

02-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #23
axl
Veteran Member

then its a joke lens, wtf, only proves pentax is aiming at the "compact" market.
?!? then I suppose that DA40/2.8 would be joke for compact market too!!!
sorry gooshin, but you coulnd't be more wrong...

exactly!

its not a serious lens, small, slow, compact, gets the job done. So boring.
Again, I will draw comparison to DA40. Let's assume that new DA15 will render as good as 40 (and 21 and 70 for that matter). It has metal built, excellent optics, offers decent coverage (FOV), and is very small coparing to other offerings.
You call that boring? well if you're bored feel free and jump the ship, and then when you will get arthritis from carrying around those lupms of L glass...

personaly I don't think there is anything wrong with building up a set of ltds. If you want big and heavy and faster, go for DA*s. But it's nic to have an option so one can choose. Not everybody needs/wants/can pay for DA* !
BR
02-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

like i mentioned before, i want shallow depth of field

the current pentax line up is very good for the casual photographer, or one that doesnt care about depth of field

Ben has been having excellent results with the DA lineup, but you should check out his exif info once in awhile.

i want shallow depth of field, pentax's new offering does not deliver, thats all i'm saying.
02-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
axl
Veteran Member

Yes, it's true I'm not too concerned about shallow DOF, I like it big..
but now 55/1.4 is coming out, hopefuly soon 30/1.4 and I don't think it's going to stop there...
02-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
like i mentioned before, i want shallow depth of field
If you really want DOF, grab a Nikon D700 and the 200/2. That's one drool worthy lens
02-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
If you really want DOF, grab a Nikon D700 and the 200/2. That's one drool worthy lens
I'm currently armed with an MZ-S and some takumar primes, good for now.
02-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Gooshin, there is nothing wrong with what you want.
But others want different kind of lenses; I am thinking the 15mm Limited is perfect for what I need (of course, I'll have to see how well it perform and the price). So, please understand why the raised eyebrows when you call such lens "a joke".
For other lenses, i.e. longer focal lengths, I'd also like a fast aperture, FF compatibility just in case and so on.
02-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

i am reflecting more on the original topic of this thread.

people are hypothesising for full frame, yet pentax's lens strategy is leading to believe otherwise.
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Well, Nikon just launched a DX prime lens - the 35mm f/1.8.
You can't draw any conclusion from this; IMO regardless if Pentax will launch (in the near future) a FF camera or not, the 15mm Limited was needed.
OTOH, the DA* 55mm seems to cover FF. So Pentax is not blindly cut their way to a FF system