Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
per
Inactive Account

Samsung still makes their version of this lens, but it's kind of hard to find it.

02-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I am glad I have a FA35/2 it has become one of my favourite lenses. If I carry only one body, I usually put the 35 on. I did check some official Pentax sites, and they do not list the FA35 any more, so I think that indicates it is no more.
10-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #18
iht
Veteran Member

No, looks like it's still available:

PentaxWebstore smcP FA 35mm f/2.0 AL
10-23-2009, 12:42 AM   #19
Forum Member

Wow, now listing no longer available at Adorama...

10-23-2009, 06:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote

hmm... it seems like it came back from the dead at a higher price...

Great thing I had bought two copies when the rumors about it being discontinued appeared...

Great little beast...

Later!

BB
10-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote

I believe those are the old and remaining stocks that they have. probably the reason for the higher price tag on them as well.
10-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alan 2 Quote
B&H Photo has listed the FA 35/2.0 as discontinued. It's also not showing up on the Pentax U.S.A. site. If you want one Adorama is still listing it, at least for the moment. If you wanted to get one it may be a good idea to grab it while you can.

22190 Pentax SMCP-FA 35mm f/2.0 AL Wide Angle Auto Focus Lens
Unfortunate to see such a great piece of glass go, but it seems that Pentax is willingly discontinuing the FA series, as they now both have a DA 35mma and a DA 55mm. I don't know what this means for the potential full-frame future of Pentax, but I hope they think of something!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #23
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't know what this means for the potential full-frame future of Pentax, but I hope they think of something!
It means new FF biased lenses at a higher price point probably in LTD livery including WR.
10-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Guys!
Pentax FA lenses, in fact, "officially" were discounted long ago. But they were still produced. Even A 50/1.2 was! (with very low quantities).
We had thread about this on penta-club.ru couple of years ago.

PS: I hope they "really" canceled FA lenses cause they are making their replacement now - DFA for upcoming FF.
10-25-2009, 04:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Pentax looking for other ways to make money?

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin (Slovakia) Quote
I bought my FA35/2 cca 4 weeks ago from Prag. They told me that there is no FA35/2 within the Pentax Europe worehouses.
Well.... Errr. Emmmm. you want me, as a bachelor, to check this rumor???
10-25-2009, 05:06 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Are my DA LTD and DA*'s still be as good as it is when Pentax releases a FF? Will Pentax still continue to release quality APS-C bodies like the K-7 once they release FF? Or will they slowly release bodies similar to the K-m and K-x?

I'm afraid that once Pentax releases a FF, they will lower the quality of their APS-C bodies just like how Canikon has cheap APS-C bodies and quality FF bodies. Right now the one thing I love a lot about Pentax is their APS-C bodies have a build quality similar to FF bodies of other brands. (At least they did before, before the K-m and K-x. Hopefully these two entry-level bodies aren't signs of Pentax dumping quality for FF).

Even now that Sony started becoming more popular, they decided to release lower quality bodies and only quality FF bodies, the new A7xx that will replace the A700 will be anounced soon and we will see if Sony dumps the quality of the a700 replacement too just like they did to their new entry-level replacements like the a500/a550.
10-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Are my DA LTD and DA*'s still be as good as it is when Pentax releases a FF? Will Pentax still continue to release quality APS-C bodies like the K-7 once they release FF? Or will they slowly release bodies similar to the K-m and K-x?

I'm afraid that once Pentax releases a FF, they will lower the quality of their APS-C bodies just like how Canikon has cheap APS-C bodies and quality FF bodies. Right now the one thing I love a lot about Pentax is their APS-C bodies have a build quality similar to FF bodies of other brands. (At least they did before, before the K-m and K-x. Hopefully these two entry-level bodies aren't signs of Pentax dumping quality for FF).

Even now that Sony started becoming more popular, they decided to release lower quality bodies and only quality FF bodies, the new A7xx that will replace the A700 will be anounced soon and we will see if Sony dumps the quality of the a700 replacement too just like they did to their new entry-level replacements like the a500/a550.

Canon is definitely still releasing high end cropped sensor cameras (I saw a 7d the other day, it looked pretty good). At the moment, full frame sensors are pricey, so any camera they go into is going to be pricey as well.
Since full frame is being touted as the holy grail for professionals, it's really not surprising that the bodies are pro grade. When or if the price of big real estate sensors comes down, you will see low priced full frame bodies.
I don't think a full frame Pentax is going to ruin the quality of your present DA lens collection.
10-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, not discontinued, then, Jasvox? I'd had the impression it was, myself. It'd definitely be a good time for an update, I think, with the quick-shift focusing, at least. But it's good if that 35 is out there. Nice lens.
10-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
Guys!
PS: I hope they "really" canceled FA lenses cause they are making their replacement now - DFA for upcoming FF.
Seems like a likely scenario if a FF is on its way.

Or else, the 50/1.4 is discontinued to increase the sales of the 55/1.4 while the 35/2.0 sold instead of the 35 macro.

But I hope it's for the future FF. That would explain why we never saw the DA*30 other than on the road map. Hoya may have changed the original Pentax plan of going only aps-c and felt that the 35 macro "will do" as a normal for the crop cameras.

It could also explain the lack of lens road map. A planned series of D-FA would be quite a tell
10-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote

Cheap APS-C quality bodies from Canon or Nikon??!!

I wouldn't describe the D300s or 7D (or even D90 and 50D) as being low quality, but maybe my standards are too low...

In any case, the build quality of C&N FF looks the same as the one from their APS-C bodies to me... good or bad.

I don't think you have to worry about the quality of Pentax APS_C cameras going down, even if they release a FF.