Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Ordered one at the local camera shop the other day for my D80

Regarding Pentax - weren't there rampant rumours of K20D sightings and advanced user reports months before PMA last year?

Makes me wonder if no new body will be announced, or at least not ready until fall.

Maybe you could consider posting a comparison between the D80+35mm f/1.8 and the K20D+35mm f/2 combo when you get it? I would be very interested to see how they stack up against each other. My brother owns a D80, but only has the 18-135 zoom, so I may buy the 35mm lens for him to use in low-light situations (and to give him some sweet LBA for other lenses as well ).

02-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote
Everybody on these forums seems to want a K20d replacement but it actually makes much more sense (*) to upgrade the k200d.

1. Both (k20 and k200) were introduced together last year, and the higher end models tend to have a longer cycles.

2. The k200 is weirdly placed at the moment and Pentax would probably want to lift their prices a bit.

3. A k300 at a higher price would interfere with the k20, but both are after different targets and many would choose newer+smaller over older+more features (as in K-m vs. k200).

4. Incidentally, Pentax recently introduced this new reabate scheme that apparently resulted in increased price for the k20. How convenient. ;-)

And 5. The new k300 (or whatever it is named) will look really cool in white.

All this guaranteed 100% baseless speculations of course.

(*) then again, this is Pentax...
I think that the K200D might get update but if they do that I think they either have to:

A) Basically put a K200D plus 14.6mp into a K-M body wih enhance live-view

or

B) Also upgrade the K20D because otherwise there will be very little to differentiate the two models.
02-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #33

The only upgrade to the K20d that would make me want to buy is a FF camera. Apparently not gonna happen anytime soon, but i would really like to put my FF compatible lens to good (hopefully) use. Maybe Samsung FF????
02-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ltdstar Quote
The only upgrade to the K20d that would make me want to buy is a FF camera. Apparently not gonna happen anytime soon, but i would really like to put my FF compatible lens to good (hopefully) use. Maybe Samsung FF????
I expect Samsung to go the other direction: small like Micro 4/3rds. If they do, I hope they can find a way to make it K-mount compatable.

02-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

The new product announcements have begun:

Dpreview has begun coverage of new product roll outs:

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
I expect Samsung to go the other direction: small like Micro 4/3rds. If they do, I hope they can find a way to make it K-mount compatable.
02-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Well, for me, I only wanna know what Pentax has in store for the rest of the year. Announcements and prototypes very much welcome, even if it takes 3 months or more for it to be released.

I've started saving up for a next body purchase, and I do want the full plethora of choices out on the table. I'm looking at the K20D now, but I'm perfectly happy with a K300D with the 14MP sensor in there if they do make it and it'll come in cheaper than the K20D.
02-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Seems likely

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
There's an outside chance that Nikon will intro or at least preview the D400 - if not at PMA then soon after. There are handbooks available for pre-order (similar to what happened before the D90 was released) that will ship around June/July.

It seems that this summer is shaping up to have a lot of dSLR releases and updates.
For a summer release, I doubt Nikon will do anything at PMA, maybe..... another lens release, but I think its going to be vewwwy vewwwwy qwiet.

I think PMA would have normally been pretty busy yet the world climate has alot of companies so busy restructuring it just doesnt make sense to be "celebrating" at this time. A lot of companies are hopeful that the 3rd and 4th quarter will be the start of an upturn therefore, do a summer announcement after they are done licking wounds.

My thoughts are we wont see any significant change in the economy this year, another year of suffering yet the decline will continue to slow. 2010 could be a year for a start for a slow upturn but times will just continue to remain lean until the world and this country in particular can learn to quit spending more than the GDP brings in.

I for one am disgusted and tired of this country spending money it doesn't have.

Carl

02-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #38
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
A) Basically put a K200D plus 14.6mp into a K-M body wih enhance live-view
Another reason to update the k200d first: using a sensor than can do live view.

(and a frame slightly larger than the K-m to accomodate weather sealing)

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
B) Also upgrade the K20D because otherwise there will be very little to differentiate the two models.
Even with the same sensor and close to the same price, the k20d can surely last another 6 months before an upgrade...

Anyways -- in about 2 weeks all will be revealed ;-)
02-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Wow, 17mm f4 Rotational Tilt Shift lens announced...

Canon updated their 1991 24mm T&S lens and added a 17mm Tilt shift for full frame.

Canon introduces 17mm & 24mm TS-E lenses: Digital Photography Review

I've seen a pic in a rumour site where nikon has a 10-18mm aps-c to launch at PMA.

AF-S Nikkor 10-18mm f/4 G ED N | Nikon Rumors

Inspite of current recession innovative products are beginning to emerge at 2009 PMA.

Pricey? Indeed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
02-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Canon updated their 1991 24mm T&S lens and added a 17mm Tilt shift for full frame.

Canon introduces 17mm & 24mm TS-E lenses: Digital Photography Review

I've seen a pic in a rumour site where nikon has a 10-18mm aps-c to launch at PMA.

AF-S Nikkor 10-18mm f/4 G ED N | Nikon Rumors

Inspite of current recession innovative products are beginning to emerge at 2009 PMA.

Pricey? Indeed.
I didn't understand the logic that designers would buckle down because of the recession. Maybe it's counter intuitive, but I'd expect MORE out of this PMA because the makers need to give you compelling reasons to spend cash. Boomtimes is when people buy small upgrades, recession is when you need to be convinced.
02-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I didn't understand the logic that designers would buckle down because of the recession. Maybe it's counter intuitive, but I'd expect MORE out of this PMA because the makers need to give you compelling reasons to spend cash. Boomtimes is when people buy small upgrades, recession is when you need to be convinced.

Eh, they're all squirrely about committing resources anywhere, much less employing people to make things. Whether this would mean it does any *good* to withhold announcements about what they're doing would be another matter, I guess. But I doubt the financial and marketing maneuverings really relate to the photography.
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Man it's been nuts with all of the point and shoot releases the last couple of days. Pentax hasn't even thrown their hat in that ring so far. No new DSLRs from anyone... yet.
02-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Maybe you could consider posting a comparison between the D80+35mm f/1.8 and the K20D+35mm f/2 combo when you get it? I would be very interested to see how they stack up against each other. My brother owns a D80, but only has the 18-135 zoom, so I may buy the 35mm lens for him to use in low-light situations (and to give him some sweet LBA for other lenses as well ).

Will do!

02-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I'd guess the canon tilt shift glass is in response to Nikon medium format

Nikon MX has been rumoured for a couple years now. Nikon even issued pix with supersized mount maybe 6 months ago. 2 Years is likely the time its taken for canon to come up with a unique 17mm T&S and 24mm T&S upgrade and both rotate too. I haven't read this but the rumors concerning these say the two preserve metadata tilt and shift info. If so that would be even more thought provoking. I've yet to read this is verified specs, so we'll see if tilt and shift metadata is preserved when they launch in May 09.

Nikon was supposed to launch D400 their $2,000 D300 aps-c upgrade.

Theres still plenty of time for Pentax to jump in with something to Be Interesting with prior to March Event. This show occurs in the 11th month since Hoya became pentax' owner: April 1st 2008.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
02-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Lenses are one of the few things that will not lose value, nor are they perishable. Canon and Nikon had probably had these designs slated for some time and the amount of money they had invested in creating them out-weighed the cost of producing them. They will sell eventually. As far as dSLR's, things are different. They are more in line with computer technologies that change in whole every 18 months. A wrong move now could be very costly. Companies are holding their breath right now with technology. Eventually someone's going to have to come up for air. As far as who's going to make it? It is probably going to be more related to timing and marketing than price and value.