Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #121

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Only if you shoot with your lens off.

But now I understand why Pentax has put a new accessory on their Japanese web site: A blender / food processor with a K-mount bayonet where the knives ought to be. So, they must be serious about it!
Actually no, a whirling sensor like that would be the ultimate in "in body stabilization". With enough weight to it, it'd have a gyroscopic effect of resisting any movement, making it stabilization that actually stabilized the body!

02-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #122

Photos: Gallery
Not a bad idea at all

I'm a little surprised that the obvious point about the square having to be less than 23x23 to fit in the circle didn't come up earlier. Maybe worried
But let's not forget that the square picture would not be the only output. There would be at least three formats to choose from without flipping the camera, I can easily see how there could be five. Or six – why not have a circle? Fisheyes have been doing those all the time.
I could also see that at least a raw shooter would have the option to choose the format while post processing.
If you combine this with probably doing away with the pentaprism entirely and thus not having to worry about the bigger mirror etc – I think it looks quite feasible. If it has an improved AF-system I will get one.
02-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
I'm a little surprised that the obvious point about the square having to be less than 23x23 to fit in the circle didn't come up earlier. Maybe worried
But let's not forget that the square picture would not be the only output. There would be at least three formats to choose from without flipping the camera, I can easily see how there could be five. Or six – why not have a circle? Fisheyes have been doing those all the time.
I could also see that at least a raw shooter would have the option to choose the format while post processing.
If you combine this with probably doing away with the pentaprism entirely and thus not having to worry about the bigger mirror etc – I think it looks quite feasible. If it has an improved AF-system I will get one.
IMHO using anything less than the entire sensor is doing yourself a disservice. It's like the stupid APS cameras where the 'panoramic' mode did nothing but crop out useful negative area.
02-23-2009, 01:34 AM   #124
Veteran Member

I'm so confused, is this still a current rumor or not?

02-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I'm so confused, is this still a current rumor or not?
I don't think it was ever a rumor, just somebody's wish.
02-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #126

Square sensor

This is my first post, but I have to chime in on this. I think a square sensor would be horrible. Square format is boring, less dynamic than rectangular. If all of your photos were in square.. you would soon be cropping them to some for of a rectangle to produce a more dynamic image. Go to an art gallery, tell me how man paintings you see that are a perfect square? There is a reason for that..
02-27-2009, 12:49 AM   #127

From a square

QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
If all of your photos were in square.. you would soon be cropping them
Yes, but the sensor could nevertheless be square. Throwing away some of the pixels is no worse than throwing away some of the image circle. The advantage would be the possibility to switch to portrait without flipping the camera.
A whole lot of the most demanding pictures for magazines and private customers too are in portrait format. To be able to get them with the camera in the most practical position would be great.
And if you think this would be a terrible feature to have, you could just never use it

02-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
Go to an art gallery, tell me how man paintings you see that are a perfect square? There is a reason for that..
on the other side, go to a photography gallery, you'll see a lots of perfect square photos. there is a reason for that - the most of medium format cameras are shooting in square 6×6 cm format.
02-27-2009, 02:06 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Yes, but the sensor could nevertheless be square. Throwing away some of the pixels is no worse than throwing away some of the image circle. The advantage would be the possibility to switch to portrait without flipping the camera.
Sure, but the problem is that you have to pay for a portion of the sensor that gets no use.
02-27-2009, 02:28 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Heard there would be at least a new camera to update K20D in the Summer, but probably won't be called as K30D
02-27-2009, 02:48 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Heard there would be at least a new camera to update K20D in the Summer, but probably won't be called as K30D
Well, if they add video, better AF, and slightly better ISO performance, I'm not sure if that would warrant a new name - it's like a K20 Super
02-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Well, if they add video, better AF, and slightly better ISO performance, I'm not sure if that would warrant a new name - it's like a K20 Super
If it includes an upgraded sensor, new AF chips and video functions, it's is very worthy of the K30D moniker.
02-27-2009, 03:32 AM   #133
Veteran Member

I sure hope they add:

1. Better LCD like the ones being used in the new Samsung P&S cameras
2. HDMI output for studio work
3. Maybe a faster output for shooting tethered? It's so slow when I shoot with the Pentax Remote Assistant
4. Backlit buttons. That's such an outdoor thing, perfect for Pentax. If they can do it on the E-620 I believe a K30D should have it.
5. Usual stuff: Faster AF, FPS, Better ISO
6. More responsive user interface. While it's a small thing, taking 3-4 seconds after a shot to see the shot on the LCD is a big thing when shooting hundreds of portraits
7. Better Flash sync speed
8. Bigger VF please (big VFs are just awesome)

I personally wouldn't mind skipping video to keep the cost down, but video would be very neat.
02-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #134

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Nikon is over to the right of Panasonic...
Square sensor...hmmmmm

Where is the PMA? Is it in WI?
02-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Las Vegas NV

PMA | Home