Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax square format sensor -- or is it Nikon?

There's lots of buzz about Nikon (maybe) introducing a digital MF, square format camera at tonight's WPPI event. Some folks are going so far as to predict details (yes, KR!) Nikon MX System

Does this mean that we've all been talking about a Pentax K3D square format camera to no avail? Has there been a halo from the new Nikon camera that makes us dream about a top Pentax model? Or will Pentax step up and take their rightful place with a new 645D.

Sometimes I get disappointed that Pentax doesn't take advantage of their leadership in developing cameras. The never-released Pentax MZ-D would have been one of the first full-frame cameras. The (to date) never-released 645D would have beat Leica (S2) and Nikon (MX) to the punch by years.

I don't disagree with the need for cameras like the Pentax K-m. I think it's a brilliant camera and will sell like hotcakes. I just wish there was a model that would regain Pentax's role for many wedding, portrait, fashion and landscape photographers.

02-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
There's lots of buzz about Nikon (maybe) introducing a digital MF, square format camera at tonight's WPPI event. Some folks are going so far as to predict details (yes, KR!) Nikon MX System

Does this mean that we've all been talking about a Pentax K3D square format camera to no avail? Has there been a halo from the new Nikon camera that makes us dream about a top Pentax model? Or will Pentax step up and take their rightful place with a new 645D.

Sometimes I get disappointed that Pentax doesn't take advantage of their leadership in developing cameras. The never-released Pentax MZ-D would have been one of the first full-frame cameras. The (to date) never-released 645D would have beat Leica (S2) and Nikon (MX) to the punch by years.

I don't disagree with the need for cameras like the Pentax K-m. I think it's a brilliant camera and will sell like hotcakes. I just wish there was a model that would regain Pentax's role for many wedding, portrait, fashion and landscape photographers.
Naah... just a concert (so far)
http://www.wppionline.com/tradeshow/show2009/WPPI_2009_program_11-21.pdf
We told you something BIG is coming to WPPI! Something so BIG that we had to rent out the
MGM Grand Arena. We promised—and we delivered. Please join us for a private WPPI performance
by the Grammy Award Winning Band Blues Traveler!
This is a free concert to all WPPI attendees. Just one shameless flash of your WPPI attendee badge gets you
access to this one-of-a-kind event brought to you by Nikon, WPPI, WHCC and Mitsubishi Electric.
Don’t miss out on your chance to rock out with one of America’s premier performances by the Grammy
Award-winning band, Blues Traveler. Doors open for the Blues Traveler performance at 9:30 p.m.
02-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #3

The 645 format isn't square!!
02-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wonder if the concert was a last minute change of plans.

Maybe Nikon decided not to release the MX until people have money to spend.

The only reason I say this is that the "BIG" promo material and ads do not match or foreshadow a concert.

Conspiracy therory, what? me?

02-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
The 645 format isn't square!!
Neither is the 35mm-sized MZ-D!

The 645D and MZ-D are just examples of Pentax market-leading products that never saw the market.

The square format Pentax that everyone is speculating about is a "K3D" -- see other threads in the Rumours section. These are truly rumours, noone has seen anything. Unlike the 645D and MZ-D.
02-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I wonder if the concert was a last minute change of plans.

Maybe Nikon decided not to release the MX until people have money to spend.

The only reason I say this is that the "BIG" promo material and ads do not match or foreshadow a concert.

Conspiracy therory, what? me?

I think you're right. 5 months of promotion for... a tradeshow concert by a b-list band?

I think Nikon has caught Pentax-itis! cough... we have this great product... cough... well, the timing isn't right... cough... not now...