Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm not really shocked, anyway, wasn't the K200d based around the extra K10d sensors from before the Samsung affiliation, in the first place?

Presuming that affiliation is to be ongoing, I wouldn't think there's a surprise they would be about to change em.
Doesn't the k-m still use that same Sony-sourced CCD though?

02-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i bought my K200D + 18-55 from JB Hifi in Bris, was on a special (was the only JB store with it at that price in fact) which made it way cheaper than anywhere else.
02-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Doesn't the k-m still use that same Sony-sourced CCD though?
It's the same sensor as the K200D. Improved AF and burst rates plus auto-mode selection, improved menu, help button and extended ISO. On the downside: one wheel, no weather-sealing, non-selectable AF points (except centre) and no top LCD. Hard decision, but it's more a sideways choice than an upgrade choice IMO.

I have full details on this camera in Your First DSLR: The Pentax K-m.
02-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #19
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It's the same sensor as the K200D. Improved AF and burst rates plus auto-mode selection, improved menu, help button and extended ISO. On the downside: one wheel, no weather-sealing, non-selectable AF points (except centre) and no top LCD. Hard decision, but it's more a sideways choice than an upgrade choice IMO.

I have full details on this camera in Your First DSLR: The Pentax K-m.
Of course, the K200D has also one wheel.

Radu

02-19-2009, 01:42 AM   #20
Inactive Account

K200D is not an entry level camera (it's more a Canon 450D competitor but cheaper and with more features at least from my puoit of view). K2000/K-m is , although it is a little less equipped than Sony A200 but better than Nikon D60.
Personally I like better the K200D than the K2000/K-m. I like even more my K100D than the Pentax's entry level camera having more features (top LCD, selectable 11 AF points, DOF preview - and all these are important for me). Size is almost the same especially because the K-m has also a grip like the othet Pentax cameras, not being used the Oly E-400/410/420 shape for the camera body or a digital version of the latest Pentax film camera, the *ist (without D).
So, I hope if K200D goes out of production the replacement will carry all its features (weather sealed body, DOF preview, top lcd, at least 11 AF point, and selectable with at least 9 cross type, available vertical grip, AA /R6 batteries... etc.) and ads more (maybe the CMOS sensor from K20D, PC sync, etc. ... or LV for who cares about it)
02-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Actually, I have no idea why the K200D exists in the product line. It doesn't seem to have much to differentiate it. Why not simply buy the K20D?
If the K200D was replaced by something newer and better, the product line would make even less sense!
Until, of course, the introduction of the newer and better replacement for the K20D.
02-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #22

Actually, I have no idea why the K200D exists in the product line. It doesn't seem to have much to differentiate it. Why not simply buy the K20D?
and we're all made of money...

i paid less than half for my K200D body in July (600), than it costs to get a K20D now (1227 @ DCW)

90% for less than 50%. i think that's a good choice, don't you?

02-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Here (Romania) the price of the K200D represents about ~65% of the price of the K20D so it's good for one with less money or who wants to buy for the difference an extra lens. The K-m has about ~75% of the price of K200D . It would result that it's more wise, from my point of view of course, to buy the K200D than the K-m (more features for less money).
02-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #24

K200D New owner.

Hi Guys, Well I'm a new owner and totally new to DSLR as of 2 days ago. I've only ever owned one other camera in my life and that was a Canon powershot 430 that I got about 2 year ago.

I bought from JB, I shopped around. Left my run a bit late and only just got one. I had to settle for one from the glass cabnet also. But I knew it had only been in there a few days as we saw the last box'ed one go out recently. So hopefully it hadn't been F'd with too much before I got it! hehe.

I got it for $615 with a new sealed in the box SMC Pentax DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II Lens.

So far I'm really impressed with it but I've got a lot to learn. (I have taken many black pictures. hehe). I really wasn't ready to buy, but I was so disappointed with the K-M that I decided to grab the K200D while I could, and I'm glad I did.

The 18-55mm lens for me doesn't have enough zoom. So I'm now on the look out for a new SMC Pentax DA 50-200mm F4-5.8 ED Lens. If anyone can help with some good deals please let me know. I'm Ipswich / Brisbane .AU area.

Best price I have seen so far is $246.50 + $19.95 postage. But if I could buy one local for say $300 or better I'd rather support local business. (Except Ted's they have been a waste of time so far).

Anyhow, Google tells me that there is in fact a K300D coming out, and that there are even some leaked information on features. So hopefully this is a good sign.
Perhaps by the time they are discounting those I'll be ready to buy again. hehe.

.-.-.
02-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #25
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
Anyhow, Google tells me that there is in fact a K300D coming out, and that there are even some leaked information on features.
By all mean, tell us where you found this information!

And congratulations on the new k200d. Must be quite a step up from the powershot.
02-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote
By all mean, tell us where you found this information!

And congratulations on the new k200d. Must be quite a step up from the powershot.
Not sure where he is finding information on the k300d that has any kind of reliability, but a VERY reliable site has a list of features in the k30d.
02-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #27

Re: K300d

No, nothing reliable. Just when I was googling stuff different links came up with some info. I barely browsed it. 14 mega pixels and other stuff.

Anyhow, yep I'm really wrapped in the K200D, please let me know if anyone can help out with a place to buy the second lens from.

.-.-.
02-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #28
cyg

Not sure how much that helps from down under, but it's available for 146$ (Canadian) from The Camera Store.

Products: Lenses, Pentax | TheCameraStore.com
02-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #29
Veteran Member

its not really close to you, given you are in ipswich, but ive found photo continental at mt gravatt to have pricing better than most online only stores (seriously)

so give them a go!
02-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #30

Thanks, Yes, actually I was going to go for a drive to there tonight (They are open late on Fridays). I did email them but they haven't replied as of yet. The others have. I tried to ring them for Thursday night shopping and was prepared to drive there last night if they gave me a decent price. They have elected not to answer their phone for late night shopping. This is a shame as the distance really requires confirmation before the travel.

Anyhow, Ted's is a waste of time and so that only really leaves Photo Continental in the area.

I'll try again this arvo. And hopefully get to do a trip in and pick up.

Otherwise I give up and will just order via EBay and get direct from Hong Kong.

But Thanks for the info.

.-.-.