Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #1

k200d "sold out...end of line"

There was a recent thread about Digital Camera Warehouse in Australia that recently dropped the k200d from their website. This is one of the bigger online (and actual stores as well)places in Australia and is where I bought my k200d a few months ago.

I rang them today asking about the k200d and they replied that they can no longer place any more orders for it from Pentax as there is no more stock left. Apparently the only stock in Australia is what retailers have already bought.

Pentax Aus. have told them that there will be a replacement announced at PMA.

Dont know how this affects speculation for the k20d but its sounds as though there will be just as likely or more likely a replacement for the k200d....or both??

srp

02-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
cyg

This is actually also discussed in another thread further up (or down).
To repeat an earlier speculation:

Everybody on these forums seems to want a K20d replacement but it actually makes much more sense (*) to upgrade the k200d.

1. Both (k20 and k200) were introduced together last year, and the higher end models tend to have a longer cycles.

2. The k200 is weirdly placed at the moment and Pentax would probably want to lift their prices a bit.

3. A k300 at a higher price would interfere with the k20, but both are after different targets and many would choose newer+smaller over older+more features (as in K-m vs. k200).

4. Incidentally, Pentax recently introduced this new reabate scheme that apparently resulted in increased price for the k20. How convenient. ;-)

And 5. The new k300 (or whatever it is named) will look really cool in white.

All this guaranteed 100% baseless speculations of course.

(*) then again, this is Pentax...
02-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

EOL=end of life...
02-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I went in to get my K200D not knowing this yesterday, and my local Camerahouse only had the display left in stock. so i got that(i would have been nice to get a discount for buying the display though!). but the salesman said that Pentax will be replacing it with a smaller, higher priced body.

02-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And I thought the original poster was making a reference to the movie Tron.

End of Line.
02-18-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Actually, I have no idea why the K200D exists in the product line. It doesn't seem to have much to differentiate it. Why not simply buy the K20D?

The K-m I can understand, since it has more automated features for beginners. In fact I think it is well thought out.

If the K200D was replaced by something newer and better, the product line would make even less sense!
02-18-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I've been looking around as I am soon to buy a K20D and have noticed no K200D's anywhere but I was surprised to see the K-m on shelf's (what a neat little package that camera is - very easy to hold.)

Strangely though I have seen the K200D still available in JB Hi Fi - I am just wondering if JB Hi Fi are selling Grey market as they are the only ones to Market the K200D with the Pentax 18-55 lens exclusively - usually CRKennedy seem to like promoting the Pentax brand with a Sigma Lens Kit ( well it seems the norm in pretty much every camera shop in Perth.)

Anyone in the know on this?

02-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well over here (Toowoomba) Pentax is being phased out of all camera retailers altogether. Stockists that did have K100Ds and K200Ds no longer have any Pentax cams and say they won't bother stocking them again.

Couldn't really care less what the Aussie retailers do - but CRK needs a kick up the back side...
02-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #9

Yep, I had to go to a neighboring city to find my K200D. Ended up getting the last (new) one. They were out of the kit, but had the kit lens and body seperately. The sales guy at the first place told me that the K200D was listed as no longer in production in their system and that chances are they wouldn't be getting any more in. I was trying to wait until PMA to see if the price of the K200D would drop further if a K300D or equivalent was released. But the lack of stock made my decision a little "easier" I guess you could say.

I personally like the K200D in the product line-up. It's not perfect, but the addition of 11 (visible) AF points, weather sealing and the slightly bigger body (great ergonomics) were enough to push it above the KM for me. And although slightly redundant, I find the top LCD useful. This being my first DSLR, I couldn't justify the K20D, and the K200 seemed to have a fairly decent price to feature ratio compared to the competition.
02-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Actually, I have no idea why the K200D exists in the product line. It doesn't seem to have much to differentiate it. Why not simply buy the K20D?
Simple — the K20D was supposed to sell at $1200, leaving plenty of room for the "budget" K200D.
02-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Simple — the K20D was supposed to sell at $1200, leaving plenty of room for the "budget" K200D.
+1 ... my comment about the K200D fitting into the lineup was based on it being on sale and priced more closely to the Km.
02-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
But in reality now...

£299 K-m
£339 K200D
£539 K20D

(Sample prices from SRS.)

With only £240 between the entry-level and the top-of-the-line this is a closely packed line-up indeed.

I must agree that the K200D looks very good at this price.
02-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm not really shocked, anyway, wasn't the K200d based around the extra K10d sensors from before the Samsung affiliation, in the first place?

Presuming that affiliation is to be ongoing, I wouldn't think there's a surprise they would be about to change em.
02-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote

Strangely though I have seen the K200D still available in JB Hi Fi - I am just wondering if JB Hi Fi are selling Grey market as they are the only ones to Market the K200D with the Pentax 18-55 lens exclusively - usually CRKennedy seem to like promoting the Pentax brand with a Sigma Lens Kit ( well it seems the norm in pretty much every camera shop in Perth.)

Anyone in the know on this?
They aren't grey market and Office Works also sells the K200D with the single lens. The reason you see so many K200D kits with Sigma lenses is the price. They are much cheaper with the Sigma lenses then Pentax lenses. There are a lot of different packages you could get but the one with Sigma lenses was always the best value.

Working in retail I deal with CRK a lot. I find their service great. They are much much easier to get stock from or get problems sorted out than dealing with big comapnies like Canon or Sony.
They also won't give out any clues on any new slr's. I ask them all the time.
02-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ninja20 Quote
They aren't grey market and Office Works also sells the K200D with the single lens. The reason you see so many K200D kits with Sigma lenses is the price. They are much cheaper with the Sigma lenses then Pentax lenses. There are a lot of different packages you could get but the one with Sigma lenses was always the best value.

Working in retail I deal with CRK a lot. I find their service great. They are much much easier to get stock from or get problems sorted out than dealing with big companies like Canon or Sony.
They also won't give out any clues on any new slr's. I ask them all the time.
Strange thing is JB HiFi are selling the Pentax K200D with a Pentax lens cheaper than the camera shops were selling it with a Sigma Lens - perhaps people don't like to buy DSLR's from a discount chain store because in Perth the only place I have seen a K200D is JB Hi Fi - Even Dick Smith is out of stock and no longer promoting any Pentax camera.

What I am saying is that everyone else seems to be out of stock of the K200D and is now promoting the K-m yet JB Hi Fi still manage to promote and have stock of the K200D with the Pentax Lens and are not promoting the K-m at all.

Please note I am only talking about what I see in Perth.