Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #16
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
If there is a K300D coming out then how will it not tread all over the K20D?
Controls: one wheel vs. two
VF: Pentamirror vs prism
Size: Smaller vs. bigger

I don't understand why people are so fixated on the sensor: The entire Oly line is 10Mp apart from the recent E-30; Canon had a 10Mp 400D at the same time as the 8Mp 30D for about a year; Nikon had the same sensor from the D40x to the D200 for some time...

Really, a future k300d could improve over the k200d without killing the k20d.

02-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh no! My K200D is only 2 weeks old! I must say that I love it and feel lucky that I was able to get one before they disappear.

I look forward to tromping around this most beautiful neck of the Canadian woods as soon as the snow gets less than arse deep. And I can't wait to try out my 37 year-old screw mount lenses that I bought with my two Spotmatics in the 70s (1.8/55mm and 3.5/135mm both SMC Takumars).
02-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
Good day all,
Well I ordered a K200D on monday from Vistek here in Edmonton Canada. They had to bring the lens in from another city. While I am waiting for it I have read a few threads stating this model is not being made any longer.. I e-mailed Pentax Canada in regards to this rumor. I got the official reply from them stating that indeed this model has stopped being produced and if I wanted a current model I should look at the K-M or K20
Should I cancel my order? Is there something that wrong with this camera that they had to pull it so soon? It only hit the market in 2008 if I am correct. It seems that every time I decide on a product this kind of thing happens.
You're (unwittingly, perhaps?) doing exactly what I did: I liked the *istDS and waited for it to come down in price (drastically) when the K10D was released. Saved me a bundle on a new camera (first I'd ever bought new) and nearly three years later I still use it every day.

FWIW, I imagine that the person at Pentax you contacted you has a flip-book or HTML document urging buyers to go with the newer model cos they're bringing in more $.
02-20-2009, 02:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote
Controls: one wheel vs. two
VF: Pentamirror vs prism
Size: Smaller vs. bigger
I think that in the market that will be very little to distinguish them. Especially as we can expect a K200D replacement to have an improved sensor and other tweaks from the K-m.

02-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #20
Site Supporter

How is it "Officially Canceled" if Pentax hasn't official announced it as canceled? Nor has it been removed from the Pentax Imaging site.

Digital SLR Cameras - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
02-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian

If this camera is within your budget and meets all your shooting needs, then have no fears over your purchase decision; now you must start thinking about your lense collection, the lenses you choose will most likely be still in your bag whilst the body they're put on will most likely change during your life span.
02-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Next year we'll probably be talking about what the k40 and k400d will be like. Enjoy the camera ya got now, if you worry about not having "the latest and greatest" all the time, your not really using your camera but just trying "to keep up with the Jone's" and isn't that foolish?
02-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The folks here are right. If you wanna take pictures, buy the K200D now. Its selling for a far better price than when I bought mine @ $599CAN body only from henrys.

That model maybe discontinued but think about those opportunities you will miss by gambling your chances on a future K300D model (if there is one in the works). Cameras come and go but those photographs are timeless.

02-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I think the biggest reason is Pentax doesn't have the manufacturing capability to produce both the KM and the K200D. Also, the KM, an entry level camera, seems to be priced higher than the better K200D was selling for and and they would have had to raise the price which would put it close to the street price of the K20D or lower the price of the KM.
02-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #25
Inactive Account

When Pentax came out with the K200d, I sold my semi-used k100d I got off Ebay and almost broke even after buying the k200d, I only wish Pentax had kept the 3200 ISO setting but I assume they figured most people would prefer the lower 100 ISO instead, I would liked both but I can live 100 ISO since I now have the DA 50mm 1.4 lens.
02-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
Good day all,
Well I ordered a K200D on monday from Vistek here in Edmonton Canada. They had to bring the lens in from another city. While I am waiting for it I have read a few threads stating this model is not being made any longer.. I e-mailed Pentax Canada in regards to this rumor. I got the official reply from them stating that indeed this model has stopped being produced and if I wanted a current model I should look at the K-M or K20
Should I cancel my order? Is there something that wrong with this camera that they had to pull it so soon? It only hit the market in 2008 if I am correct. It seems that every time I decide on a product this kind of thing happens.
With the move to digital, cameras are now affected by Moore's Law.

While film cameras could remain on the market for a long time and remain competitive, the digital camera industry is, as others have been saying, moving towards a 12-month or so product cycle as sensor/image processing capabilities steadily improve.

What's surprising is that the K200D was discontinued before a successor was announced.
02-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

The K200D is not discontinued as it still appears on the manufacturer's website.
02-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good day all,
When I posted that the K200 was discontinued I was not intending to start a rumor mill but rather passing on the exact wording of the e-mail replied to me by Pentax Canada. And yes he did say "officialy discontinued". I called the camera store where I am waiting for the lens to come in for the camera I bought and asked management the same question and he also confirmed it. So what can I say?
You guys are right about playing the waiting game for the next one etc... when does it end. I was just amazed at the short life span of this model so I thought maybe it was a problamatic camera.
Any way can't wait to get it. All is good !
02-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
I've been shooting with my discontinued K10D for a year now (or so) and every day I remark to myself how much I love it. You still see people remarking how much they live their *ist and various others. Heck, I recently threw some film through an old SV and it worked as good as day one!

- Andrew
My WAY discontinued, obsolete, old school, old news *istD's are still making great pictures!

I might get something newer, I have been checking out the K200D, But it hasn't been out of production long enough for me.
02-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #30

My guess

is that both will be replaced purty soon.

But both are great cameras (can only speak about the K20D personally, K200 from what I read) and quite capable.

Many want the latest (not necessarily the greatest) equipment.

C