Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually, if you want the best camera for the least money hunt out a refurbished K100D Super.

02-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There has been a lot of doom and gloom on the interwebs recently about the possble direction that Hoya will take with Pentax, including shutting it down due to low market share. Well, that is one strategy. But why would Hoya buy Pentax to shut it down?

My argument is that they got a great brand-name with decent technology portfolio at a very good price. When a brand has low market-share it has very little market value...and it's a great time to buy it.

I don't know much about the photo industry, but in my industry I have been directly involved in revamping/relaunching/re-relevant'ized(*) brand-names that had had past-glory but had crappy current sales. The new owners injected fresh life into those old brands, and they went to the top of their niches. New management, marketing and product-development did wonders for those brands. For better or worse, good management and marketing matter more than products.

(Fortunately, Hoya's job of revamping Pentax is a lot easier because they already have some good products to start with (particularly on the lens side).)

What Hoya really needs to do now is revamp the DSLR body line and focus on selling bodies. They don't really need to add more lenses.

What does Pentax have that Olympus and Panasonic have in the DSLR market? The answer is an installed user-base. One reason that Pentax has such a low market share is that most of us are spend our money on used lenses. Pentax users probably spend a as much or more every year on gear as users of Olympus, Panasonic and Sony. It's just that Pentax doesn't benefit from our revenue.

And, I would say that Pentax users have more lenses on a per-user basis than any other brand.

The thing is, because we already have so many lenses, we put up with whatever mediocre bodies that Pentax puts out. But on the other hand, the bodies are so mediocre that we don't upgrade them very often.

So, Hoya needs to be pushing new bodies with killer new features and prices and doing it every 12 months and also be keeping up with the Jonses.

'Cause you cheap lazy asses collectively ain't (1) buying enough new lenses nor (2) buying enough new bodies!!!

Therefore, I very much hope and expect that we will see a steady stream of new bodies. K200-Super or K220D or K300D, whatever it is, it needs to be lighter, cheaper and faster than the K200D. I don't expect there will be a resolution upgrade, but maybe a CMOS sensor, better AF, better Live-View with some form of video, faster FPS and expanded EDR (E2DR).

And using a lot of the weight-saving tricks from the K-m:
http://pentaxplus.jp/k-m/english/story/002/index.html
http://pentaxplus.jp/k-m/english/story/003/index.html

I think the K-m is a real portend. Check out the detailed special K-m website they launched at the Japan site, that's a sign of the new marketing direction: http://pentaxplus.jp/k-m/english/

-Dave

(*) new word, trademarks applied for

Last edited by dave9t5; 02-20-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added some exta points
02-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dave9t5 Quote
There has been a lot of doom and gloom on the interwebs recently about the possble direction that Hoya will take with Pentax, including shutting it down due to low market share. Well, that is one strategy. But why would Hoya buy Pentax to shut it down?

My argument is that they got a great brand-name with decent technology portfolio at a very good price. When a brand has low market-share it has very little market value...and it's a great time to buy it.

I don't know much about the photo industry, but in my industry I have been directly involved in revamping/relaunching/re-relevant'ized(*) brand-names that had had past-glory but had crappy current sales. The new owners injected fresh life into those old brands, and they went to the top of their niches. New management, marketing and product-development did wonders for those brands. For better or worse, good management and marketing matter more than products.

(Fortunately, Hoya's job of revamping Pentax is a lot easier because they already have some good products to start with (particularly on the lens side).)

What Hoya really needs to do now is revamp the DSLR body line and focus on selling bodies. They don't really need to add more lenses.

What does Pentax have that Olympus and Panasonic have in the DSLR market? The answer is an installed user-base. One reason that Pentax has such a low market share is that most of us are spend our money on used lenses. Pentax users probably spend a as much or more every year on gear as users of Olympus, Panasonic and Sony. It's just that Pentax doesn't benefit from our revenue.

And, I would say that Pentax users have more lenses on a per-user basis than any other brand.

The thing is, because we already have so many lenses, we put up with whatever mediocre bodies that Pentax puts out. But on the other hand, the bodies are so mediocre that we don't upgrade them very often.

So, Hoya needs to be pushing new bodies with killer new features and prices and doing it every 12 months and also be keeping up with the Jonses.

'Cause you cheap lazy asses collectively ain't (1) buying enough new lenses nor (2) buying enough new bodies!!!

Therefore, I very much hope and expect that we will see a steady stream of new bodies. K200-Super or K220D or K300D, whatever it is, it needs to be lighter, cheaper and faster than the K200D. I don't expect there will be a resolution upgrade, but maybe a CMOS sensor, better AF, better Live-View with some form of video, faster FPS and expanded EDR (E2DR).

And using a lot of the weight-saving tricks from the K-m:
PENTAX K-m SPECIAL SITE / Designer's Story / 02 Tetsuo Hosokawa <1>
PENTAX K-m SPECIAL SITE / Designer's Story / 03 Kiyoshi Yamamoto <1>

I think the K-m is a real portend. Check out the detailed special K-m website they launched at the Japan site, that's a sign of the new marketing direction: PENTAX K-m SPECIAL SITE | Pentax+

-Dave

(*) new word, trademarks applied for
Well said - you are right on the money IMHO.
02-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #34
Kei

K200d being discontinued or not I can't lose. Bought the camera back in June and I love everything about it. I will be happy if the K200d still being available, if not then probably an improved model is coming up. By then I can either pick up another k200d for cheap or pay the regular price for the newer and better model.

02-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I think the fact is that *until* there's some motion in another product line, *right now* it's hard to ask six hundred for a K200 and sevenish for a K20 at the same time.

Not that there's anything wrong with a K200 for what it is, (A few months ago, I would have been glad to have one, if gladder of a K10.) Seemed to me the idea of the K200 was *always* about using some extra K10d sensors till the K-M came out. Are they even affiliated with who made those?

Really, it's like, 'No more K200s? Boo hoo, I'll just have to settle for what I in fact got. I mean, when a K20 cost a grand or more, yes, they needed something more accessible, but now you can have *this.* This is *good!* This is a *happy* thing!
03-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, I think the fact is that *until* there's some motion in another product line, *right now* it's hard to ask six hundred for a K200 and sevenish for a K20 at the same time.

Not that there's anything wrong with a K200 for what it is, (A few months ago, I would have been glad to have one, if gladder of a K10.) Seemed to me the idea of the K200 was *always* about using some extra K10d sensors till the K-M came out. Are they even affiliated with who made those?

Really, it's like, 'No more K200s? Boo hoo, I'll just have to settle for what I in fact got. I mean, when a K20 cost a grand or more, yes, they needed something more accessible, but now you can have *this.* This is *good!* This is a *happy* thing!

Actually, Pentax USA still shows it.

PentaxWebstore K2000 w/18-55 Lens and AF200FG Flash Kit

The Webstore currently has it , the white K2000 and black k2000 as in stock.