02-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
its a good thing I havent gone out to shoot glaciers in this lifetime

02-25-2009, 02:52 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
I got my DS for AA and pentaprism. Now that I have K10D I'm even thinking of downgrading to K200D for AA support, but I'm not sure I wan't to give up the K10D's pentaprism.
I wouldn't want to give up the viewfinder. I shot a few shots with my daughter's K100D the other day, and the viewfinder difference really struck me. And I thought my K10D was lousy compared to my ME Super and LX...

Anyway, I agree that the AAs are really useful, but with one extra battery for my K10D I never worry about batteries. The only thing I've been thinking about, is to get a 12V car cigarette lighter-type charger, I could use that if I go for several days to my mother's old cabin, which only has 12V solar power. Are there any such chargers for the K10D batteries?
02-25-2009, 06:10 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
I also hate AA batteries with a passion.

Now back on topic. The problem of Olymous right now to me is not the sensor, the biggest problem is the 4/3 will leave the low end market soon.

Basically there won't be any 4/3 body to succeed the E420 and E520. OK the E620 is a follow up of the E520, but you can easily find two bodies from every other mount that have low spec than it.

I understand the 4/3 lenses focus very slowly, if they AF at all, on the micro 4/3 body.
I think a lot hinges on the E-30 and E-620 right now. If Olympus manages to move enough units of those two, they'd probably keep producing 4/3 cameras alongside m4/3 cameras. They're in a good position in that they can play in both traditional SLR design and, if m4/3 proves to be more popular in the future, they already have the basic R&D for that done.

What's interesting about 4/3 lenses is that they have their own firmware that can be upgraded. I believe Olympus mentioned that they'd be rolling out firmware updates to their existing 4/3 lenses to be able to work better with m4/3 cameras. The newer ones have no issues whatsoever with AF on m4/3 (at least the two kit lenses), as they were already developed with contrast focusing in mind. Of course, only having had a short time with Olympus, I may be wrong about these.
02-25-2009, 06:31 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Before the last Pro Shop in town closed,

I chatted with the olympus rep concerning their Micro 4/3. He said unlike G1 it would have attachable viewfinders for different focal lengths. I found this discouraging. For me, if I wanted a micro 4/3 camera I'd pick G1 over Olympus for easy use of abandonded mount lenses, like some Canon FD I still own. The idea I'd need to aquire attachable viewfinders is a deal killer for me. But for Olympus it would create numerous assessories to sell so I can see why they want to do this.

G1 is like a digital back for wide array of glass mounts and articulated too. Very handy. I don't own any cameras with an articulated viewscreen.

I read on micro 4/3 forums the next G1 from Panasonic will offer hd video. Which I don't need but if it launches before Oly's m4/3 I'd guess it will squash Oly's m4/3 with attachable rangerfinder outfitted offering. What do you think Vinzer?

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I think a lot hinges on the E-30 and E-620 right now. If Olympus manages to move enough units of those two, they'd probably keep producing 4/3 cameras alongside m4/3 cameras. They're in a good position in that they can play in both traditional SLR design and, if m4/3 proves to be more popular in the future, they already have the basic R&D for that done.

What's interesting about 4/3 lenses is that they have their own firmware that can be upgraded. I believe Olympus mentioned that they'd be rolling out firmware updates to their existing 4/3 lenses to be able to work better with m4/3 cameras. The newer ones have no issues whatsoever with AF on m4/3 (at least the two kit lenses), as they were already developed with contrast focusing in mind. Of course, only having had a short time with Olympus, I may be wrong about these.

02-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #80

I can understand people not preferring AA. I don't get the hostility toward them though. I've crunched the numbers a few different ways, and I can't see a significant difference advantage to either system except one: Replacement when you get screwed because you forgot something or are somewhere long than you expect. Seems to be the best compromise is to put the AA option in a seperate version of the external grip that people who want that option can buy. I'd think have two grip versions would be cheaper on the assembly line than two body versions.
02-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #81
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I wouldn't want to give up the viewfinder. I shot a few shots with my daughter's K100D the other day, and the viewfinder difference really struck me. And I thought my K10D was lousy compared to my ME Super and LX...

Anyway, I agree that the AAs are really useful, but with one extra battery for my K10D I never worry about batteries. The only thing I've been thinking about, is to get a 12V car cigarette lighter-type charger, I could use that if I go for several days to my mother's old cabin, which only has 12V solar power. Are there any such chargers for the K10D batteries?
Buy a power inverter for your car. They are cheap. Plug into cigarette lighter slot and plug charger into it (has a household plug). Voila!

c[_]

P.S. You can use the power inverter for tonnes of things. Coffee maker, computer, cell phone charger (household one), etc. We use ours all the time. Great for camping
02-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I chatted with the olympus rep concerning their Micro 4/3. He said unlike G1 it would have attachable viewfinders for different focal lengths. I found this discouraging. For me, if I wanted a micro 4/3 camera I'd pick G1 over Olympus for easy use of abandonded mount lenses, like some Canon FD I still own.
I still don't buy that. Four-Thirds is a 2x crop. What FD lens worth viewing through a TV screen is going to be any use like that? Considering any adapter, assuming it works, is gonna cost a few hundred of itself, you may as well get a telephoto.

I mean, hey, maybe you could make a nice fast long tele package out of it, but what's the point? Bring a telephoto lens of any size anywhere, there's little point to sticking a weensy little TV camera on the back with a big adapter on the front. If someone made an FD-compatible digital camera, I'd be there, but Micro Four Thirds really isn't the way, if you asked me.

Same concept in APS-C, ... maybe. You could use your 24's and 50s that way. Otherwise, there's not much worth the exercise.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-26-2009 at 08:55 PM.
02-27-2009, 01:43 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Buy a power inverter for your car. They are cheap. Plug into cigarette lighter slot and plug charger into it (has a household plug). Voila!

P.S. You can use the power inverter for tonnes of things. Coffee maker, computer, cell phone charger (household one), etc. We use ours all the time. Great for camping
I've thought of that, but my impression was that they draw quite a lot of power even when idle, so they may drain a car battery (or the solar powered batteries of the cottage) quite fast. Using such a beast for e.g. a coffee maker (coffee is important to me too, although it's not part of my user id ) may be a good idea, but converting 12V to 230V (like we use over here, 110V is less of a loss, I guess) and back again to low voltage wastes a lot of energy.

02-27-2009, 06:29 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I chatted with the olympus rep concerning their Micro 4/3. He said unlike G1 it would have attachable viewfinders for different focal lengths. I found this discouraging. For me, if I wanted a micro 4/3 camera I'd pick G1 over Olympus for easy use of abandonded mount lenses, like some Canon FD I still own. The idea I'd need to aquire attachable viewfinders is a deal killer for me. But for Olympus it would create numerous assessories to sell so I can see why they want to do this.

G1 is like a digital back for wide array of glass mounts and articulated too. Very handy. I don't own any cameras with an articulated viewscreen.

I read on micro 4/3 forums the next G1 from Panasonic will offer hd video. Which I don't need but if it launches before Oly's m4/3 I'd guess it will squash Oly's m4/3 with attachable rangerfinder outfitted offering. What do you think Vinzer?
So Olympus plans to go at it rangefinder-style eh? Doesn't sound good to me. I mean, I like the rangefinder styling (discreet shooting works for me), but I agree with you that I don't want to pay extra just for a viewfinder that works only for certain focal lengths. I realize that's really how it was before with rangefinders having turret accessories and all, but would it kill Olympus to at least have a viewfinder built-in that has, I dunno, lighted crop lines that change depending on what lens is on (manually entered focal length if using old lenses)? Sure, it is a business, but die-hard rangefinder enthusiasts would probably be looking at an M8 or the new Epson R-D1x (well, basically a rehash of the R-D1), anyway, and people used to SLRs/DSLRs would find the need to *pay extra* for a viewfinder as a turn-off, though I'd be more forgiving if the viewfinder will be a one-off purchase and can work with all focal lengths, contrary to the Olympus rep's disclosure.

A G1 with HD video will definitely get more people interested in m4/3 onboard via Panasonic than Olympus, but I'm guessing there are those who'd still pick the Olympus model (though the G1 will probably outsell the Olympus m4/3 model). If I had to pick between the two, though, I'd also go with the G1 instead (at least for now). While I like the Olympus design, I'd feel restricted having to buy and switch between different viewfinders for different focal lengths. Just imagine how annoying it will be using zooms.

I guess I could simply rely on live view, but I've grown accustomed to shooting with the camera viewfinder to my eye, not to mention doing so is inherently less prone to introduce camera shake by the photographer as opposed to shooting at arm's length.

I'd be interested in HD video, if only because the only videocam I have here at home is a really old (but still takes good videos, albeit in standard definition) Panasonic 3-CCD miniDV camera.

Oh, by the way, in case anyone's interested to know about the Epson rehash, click here.

A quick photo of the admittedly cool-looking thing:

I don't have any rangefinder lenses at all, but I still dig this one. *drool*
02-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Well, such products are available here, in Romania. Incarcator pentru acumulatori Li-Ion Konica-Minolta tip NP 400.(cod AVP400). - Incarcator pentru acumulatori Li-Ion Konica-Minolta tip NP 400.(cod AVP400). Incarcator rapid inteligent (cu procesor pentru verificarea nivelului de incarcare a acumulato
The page is in Romanian, but I'll give you a short description: it's a 3rd-party (cheap, so don't have high expectations) charger for Minolta NP-400/Pentax D-Li50 batteries, and can be used with standard E.U. 220V or 12V cigarette lighter power outlets.
Less than 15 euros, as well.

P.S. I hope it's OK to give the link - after all, I doubt many would jump to buy products from that site. In fact, I bet that all the Romanians here knows about that store already

L.E. I forgot about bhphotovideo - they have an Impact brand charger with the same capabilities: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/574067-REG/Impact_CMDLI50_CM_DLI50_Min...C_Battery.html
Problem solved

Last edited by Kunzite; 02-27-2009 at 07:34 AM.
02-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Inverters and Battery Drain

[QUOTE=gazonk;505276]I've thought of that, but my impression was that they draw quite a lot of power even when idle, so they may drain a car battery <snip> QUOTE]

If the car is running, no worries. If the inverter and device are left on when the car is off, the two will begin to draw the battery down.

But .... good inverters will have low/high voltage safety mechanisms. The inverter will shut itself down when the voltage gets to 10V or so, preventing the battery from draining and therefore unable to start the car again.

I'd be careful with that in cold weather as you may need all the power you have just to turn the car over long enough to start. I would not worry about summer, but here we can count on winter nights with lows of -10 to -20 F, occasionally lower. Not the right situation to draw the battery down!
02-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
L.E. I forgot about bhphotovideo - they have an Impact brand charger with the same capabilities: Impact | CM-DLI50 Mini AC/DC Battery Charger | CMDLI50 | B&H
Problem solved
Ah, thanks :-)
02-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Ah, thanks :-)
Hama seems to have a good solution, too, with adapter for lots of batteries:
hama.de | :
03-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #89
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I've been bouncing between forums looking for news and it seems Sony's announcement is out - translated Translated version of http://www.sony.co.jp/SonyInfo/News/Press/200903/09-031/index.html

(1) Super Telephoto Lens
(2)DT 50mm F1.8
(3)DT 30mm F2.8 Macro
(4)DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
(5)DT 55-200mm F4-5.6
(6)28-75mm F2.8

DT is their APS-C line. Looks like they are shoring up their ground level offerings with new kit lenses among other things. It will be interesting to see how the 30/2.8 macro compares to the DA35.

I was hoping some of the Carl Zeiss lens rumours were going to be true (large aperture wide prime and 200mm macro). Perhaps they will announce that seperately.

K.
03-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I've been bouncing between forums looking for news and it seems Sony's announcement is out - translated Translated version of http://www.sony.co.jp/SonyInfo/News/Press/200903/09-031/index.html

(1) Super Telephoto Lens
(2)DT 50mm F1.8
(3)DT 30mm F2.8 Macro
(4)DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
(5)DT 55-200mm F4-5.6
(6)28-75mm F2.8

DT is their APS-C line. Looks like they are shoring up their ground level offerings with new kit lenses among other things. It will be interesting to see how the 30/2.8 macro compares to the DA35.

I was hoping some of the Carl Zeiss lens rumours were going to be true (large aperture wide prime and 200mm macro). Perhaps they will announce that seperately.

K.
Well, seems to me they're shoring up the gaps in both FF and APS-C lines, which is good for Alpha users. I'll keep a close eye on pricing, though. The 28-75/2.8 sounds eerily familiar to the Tamron 28-75 I love, so that might be a simple rebadge.

The 18-55 looks to be a replacement of the 18-70 lens that's been panned by a lot of people.

The 50/1.8 was probably spurred on by people clamoring for a lower-cost fast fifty. Why they didn't bother to make it FF, though, eludes me.

I'm as interested in you with comparisons between the 30/2.8 and Pentax's 35/2.8.

And finally, the super telephoto lens looks *huge*. I'm not an expert on judging focal lengths by simply looking at them, but that looks to be a 400mm or greater lens. It might be in-lens stabilized, looking at the myriad of switches on the mock-up. I do hope Sony isn't slowly abandoning in-body stabilization, that's one of the better technologies they got from Minolta.

Oh, a quick question: how does the A900 handle DT lenses? Same as Nikon, with a crop mode? Or is it something like Canon's EF-S lenses, which harms FF cameras?