Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #91
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Well, seems to me they're shoring up the gaps in both FF and APS-C lines, which is good for Alpha users. I'll keep a close eye on pricing, though. The 28-75/2.8 sounds eerily familiar to the Tamron 28-75 I love, so that might be a simple rebadge.

The 18-55 looks to be a replacement of the 18-70 lens that's been panned by a lot of people.

The 50/1.8 was probably spurred on by people clamoring for a lower-cost fast fifty. Why they didn't bother to make it FF, though, eludes me.

I'm as interested in you with comparisons between the 30/2.8 and Pentax's 35/2.8.

And finally, the super telephoto lens looks *huge*. I'm not an expert on judging focal lengths by simply looking at them, but that looks to be a 400mm or greater lens. It might be in-lens stabilized, looking at the myriad of switches on the mock-up. I do hope Sony isn't slowly abandoning in-body stabilization, that's one of the better technologies they got from Minolta.

Oh, a quick question: how does the A900 handle DT lenses? Same as Nikon, with a crop mode? Or is it something like Canon's EF-S lenses, which harms FF cameras?

Yeah, 50 in APS only is odd. Makes me quietly hope the Zeiss Planar 50 will find its way into ZA, eventually.

Speculation is that 28-70/2.8 is a late addition as a kit lens for the A900. The 18-55 and 55-200 replacement kits for the APCs. You might be right about Tamron rebadging for all of these, Sony own a majority share in that company. Easy way to bring things to market I suppose.

I put my fiances 18-70 on my A900 and it automatically adjusts to use it in APS-C mode (11 mp). There is also an APS-C mode bypass control in the menu I assume is to use the lens as it is, vignette and all. There are APS markings in the viewfinder to frame with, but I'm told the Nikon actually greys out the unused portion of the viewfinder, which seems more intuitive. I wasn't aware of the Canon deficiency in this regard, a bit surprising actually. Wonder why it won't work for them.

K.

03-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I wasn't aware of the Canon deficiency in this regard, a bit surprising actually. Wonder why it won't work for them.

K.
From how I understand it, when EF-S lenses are mounted on EF-only cameras, the rear part of the lens blocks the mirror's movement, thus causing damage to either lens or camera. Others could probably explain this better than I can, though.
03-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Oh, a quick question: how does the A900 handle DT lenses? Same as Nikon, with a crop mode? Or is it something like Canon's EF-S lenses, which harms FF cameras?
They don't harm them, they flat out won't mount.
03-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #94

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
What? That's dumb. I didn't know this. So Sony APS lense can't be used on Minolta film bodies?

03-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
What? That's dumb. I didn't know this. So Sony APS lense can't be used on Minolta film bodies?
Talking about the Canon EF-S lenses. They will not mount on an EF body unless you modify the mount. Not dumb in this case, just a different design.
03-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #96
Veteran Member

No, Sony/Minolta APS-C lenses work fine on Sony/Minolta FF/Film cameras.
03-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #97

Talking about the Canon EF-S lenses. They will not mount on an EF body unless you modify the mount. Not dumb in this case, just a different design.
Oh, in that case. I believe you can, but the rear element of the Canon APS lens will block/knock the 5D mirror off.
03-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #98
Veteran Member

There you go. Thanks for the clarification.

03-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Oh, in that case. I believe you can, but the rear element of the Canon APS lens will block/knock the 5D mirror off.
No, it won't mount unless you take a hacksaw (literally) to it. And then, yes, it will likely interfere with the mirror and damage things.