Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #46
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
E620 is very strong camera on paper for 699 USD body.
Yes, the Oly E-620 seems like a fine little camera ... looks like Oly is on the move and stealing some of Pentax's thunder.

Lets hope that Pentax has a articulating LCD in a small package and that is for the K300D, The new K30D, I hope is a knock out ..... look at the competition, Pentax needs major innovation to stay in the game.

BTW, did I say that new Oly sure looks good on paper :-)

wll

02-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
did I say that new Oly sure looks good on paper
Too bad it does not look as good in print. The issue I've always had with Olympus cameras is no matter how much of an improvement they make in image quality, I could never like the IQ above ISO 200. Their noise reduction leaves the images with a point & shoot feel to them. Too bad since Olympus has a few interesting lenses. This is a large part of the reason why I sold all my Olympus gear a while ago.
02-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was very impressed with the large prints of some pros that use Olympus here. I honestly really like the Oly system as well, I was deciding between the Oly E-3 and the K20D. Fantastic weather-sealed zoom lenses with ultra-fast AF. But as you mentioned, high ISO isn't their strongest suit.

Amazing that they were able to give that articulating LCD to an affordable DSLR. This looks exciting for the next gen of cameras, competition is a good thing so I hope Pentax gives us something great!
02-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I handled the EOS 1DMkII and it's AF is really good (blistering fast!). So can I assume the 1000D have a very good AF as well?
Yes, the E3 is fast - but we're talking about the E620 here; I wasn't impressed by entry level Olympus DSLRs so far. So, can we wait before jumping to conclusions?
That's such a huge difference, so okay I'll compare to the E-520. E-520's AF is a lot faster than the K20D's. So can I assume it's better if not the same as the E-520?

And my observation is that things from the higher-end bodies trickle down to the lower bodies after a year or so i.e. A lot of the D200's features went to the D80, as the D3's went to the D300/700.

Anyway enough about Oly, anything about Pentax yet?

02-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Yes, the Oly E-620 seems like a fine little camera ... looks like Oly is on the move and stealing some of Pentax's thunder.
What thunder? Pentax hasn't made any thunder in the market since the K10D. Oly is fighting for the scraps left behind by Canon, Nikon and Sony. Two years ago this body might have done wonders for them, but I don't see the E-620 doing much more than keeping the Oly faithful happy. If it had a movie mode there would be much more market potential here. Their real future lies with Micro 4/3rds anyway, assuming they have a future.

QuoteQuote:
Lets hope that Pentax has a articulating LCD in a small package and that is for the K300D, The new K30D, I hope is a knock out ..... look at the competition, Pentax needs major innovation to stay in the game.
A small body like this from Pentax would be great with the DA Limiteds. Unfortunately Oly doesn't have much of a prime lens lineup, so they're not of much interest to me. Their nicer glass is expensive, and large. I saw an E-420 with the 12-60 on it, and it looked like a heavy package for a small body. If you're going to go big, you might as well go full-frame.
02-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #51
Pentaxian

The grass on the other side of the fence MUST be greener
I just wonder if the same people lust for the olympus AND see only a future for Pentax in a 35mm-sensor At least, noone put the smaller sensor on the CON-side.
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Anyway enough about Oly, anything about Pentax yet?
I would suggest to stay calm. Infos from german dealers indicate, that there won't be a new cam from Pentax at PMA. But a K30 can be expected before summer, and the price tag (features set?) seems to be slight above the K20.
But beside that some new things are going to be there.

Just in case someones high expectations are in danger to become the basis of at least as high dissapointments.

Best regards,
dan
02-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #52

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Olympus or Pentax?
Supposedly Pentax, no distinct info, just that time of year when their new stock gets loaded in the system. The message that was passed to me was "several new lenses".
Sorry, I don't have anything more than that.

Last edited by opfor; 02-24-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo
02-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
That's such a huge difference, so okay I'll compare to the E-520. E-520's AF is a lot faster than the K20D's. So can I assume it's better if not the same as the E-520?
Well, I'm not interested in Olympus so I couldn't be bothered to compare the two cameras.
I've tried a E-420 some time ago (CeBit 2008) and I wasn't impressed; the E3 was another story. Maybe the E-520 is much faster (PopPhoto disagrees, btw - but I don't trust them anyway).
02-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
but look how Oly can adjust AF (in a consumer level camera) and compare it w/ Pentax... nice job, Oly !
I don't want to adjust focus, I want it to work properly. I still have not managed to figure out why there is a problem. Surely the camera should be able to adjust itself somehow. WHy don't the camera chack the sharpness achieved when a photo has been taken, and slightly adjusts the lens for that focal length and distance? Things work well from start, and after using a lens for a while, it will be perfectly accurate on all focal lengths and distances. THAT would be advanced, not for me as a user to program the camera for them... (Being able to write my own programs for the camera would be cool, but not professional ) ;-)
02-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #55
Veteran Member

This is the camera Pentax should have delevired and we've been SCREAMING for for god knows how long.

It is packed to the gills with useful features and doesn't weigh a ton, nor does it need a massive bag to carry it around. It's designed for advanced amatures, not entry level hacks.

Imagine that exact same body with an APS sensor and some limiteds to play with. FFS Pentax, why are you always asleep at the friggin switch??
02-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #56
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
This is the camera Pentax should have delevired and we've been SCREAMING for for god knows how long.
Yep.

Same type of camera with Pentax's exisiting viewfinder, 11 point AF, weather sealing and SD card.

Possibly trade a bit of size/weight for AAs.

Now that would be pretty sweet.
02-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #57
Veteran Member

No f@#$ing AA's. just heavy and awkward to load and desired by people with no sense to carry a freakin spare Li-Ion that is lighter, easier to load, easier to carry more reliable and lasts an age
02-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Dslr that use AA's are stupid

When Pentax sells a AA battery camera you receive no Charger, and no rechargable batteries. I think the Li-Ion is great & AA battery option is a stupid feature. Sure Pentax makes more money on AA dslrs without suppling a recharger and batteries but I will never buy one (again). I'd rather handle one battery instead of 4 and One Li-Ion battery weighs less than 4 AA and the charger is smaller to pack too.

I never understand all the hoopla over wanting Pentax to make AA powered dslrs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
No f@#$ing AA's. just heavy and awkward to load and desired by people with no sense to carry a freakin spare Li-Ion that is lighter, easier to load, easier to carry more reliable and lasts an age
02-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Bifocals or Trifocals?

_ _ _

QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
not an "official" rumour, but... There are several new lens coming into their system in the next two weeks.
- - -
02-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I think the Li-Ion is great & AA battery option is a stupid feature.
I guess I must be stupid then, because I like the AA battery option, it was one of the selling points that got me to buy the K200D and the *istDS before it. With Energizer AA lithiums in the camera and a couple of spare sets in the bag, I never have to worry about carrying a charger around, and my camera is always ready to go. Just one less thing to worry about especially when travelling.