Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New Tokina 12-24 covers full frame

Sorry, as Tommy states below, the new Tokina just handles the DX-crop on D3. My mistake. Wishful reading I suppose

I haven't seen this before, but a FF 12-24 Tokina was shown on a swedish foto show this weekend. Please see 1/3 down on this page: Fotomässa 2009 - Göteborg - Fotosidan.se:s Prylblogg - Fotosidan.
It shows the old and the new version on a D3. I didn't see it myself but the author is reliable. The images without further explaination:

Maybe some fuel for the FF speculations? If Tokina can, Pentax could do it

Last edited by Supernaut; 02-24-2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: I was wrong...
02-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
aren't many Pentax lenses often re-skined/re-branded Tokina lenses?
p.s. the two photos are taken @ different zooms levels as well; not saying new isn't better, but should obviously compare two images of the same focal length.
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Not FF

The page says that the new version can handle the DX-crop on Nikon FX-cameras.
If you mount a lens designed for APS-C on a Nikon FF camera, the camera detects that it has to crop the image to get a clean image. As I understand it, Nikons FF-cameras can not detect that the old Tokina is designed for APS-C and didn't bother to crop the image. With the new version, the image is croped. Also, if it would have been FF, the lens would have been much bigger.

/Tommy
02-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
aren't many Pentax lenses often re-skined/re-branded Tokina lenses?
p.s. the two photos are taken @ different zooms levels as well; not saying new isn't better, but should obviously compare two images of the same focal length.
No.
All of the manufacturers do co-development work on optics, and sometimes this ends up with first party and third party lenses with the same optical formula. However, if it doesn't say Pentax on the nameplate, it doesn't enjoy Pentax SMC coatings, and there may well be other internal build differences.

02-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Todd K.

It may not say Pentax but

The Tokina Lenses my not say Pentax or have SMC coating, but without the SDM motors, they are more reliable.
02-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Dan
Pentaxian

No SDM in the Pentax 12-24

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd K. Quote
The Tokina Lenses my not say Pentax or have SMC coating, but without the SDM motors, they are more reliable.
The Pentax 12-24mm lens does NOT have an SDM motor. It has the good old-fashioned super-reliable screw drive. The build quality is very high in every other respect as well. I wish all Pentax zooms were built as well.

Dan
02-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is great news given the similarities between the Tokina and DA 12-24mm lenses. This opens up the possibility for the lens designers to redesign the rear group to cover a wider image circle for other lenses.

That means the DA range of lenses can be revamped to cover a FF image circle (rename it it DA II or whatever) Not as impossible as it seems looking forward. If it can be done on a wide angle zoom, it is technically feasible to do it for other current DA lenses.

02-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As per the Swedish text the lens is not full frame but DX which is equal to APS-C. So it is the old lens with an upgraded chip, so that, in Nikon mount, it can tell the camera to crop down to APS-C.
02-24-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry guys! I got too excited I guess. It's still for crop sensors
Just a recognition chip and new multicoating.
02-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
The Pentax 12-24mm lens does NOT have an SDM motor. It has the good old-fashioned super-reliable screw drive. The build quality is very high in every other respect as well. I wish all Pentax zooms were built as well.

Dan
Oh my God...after years of "we want ultrasonic motors too" whining, now starts the "give us back ye ol' faithful screw drive" one!

It's tough being Pentax.
02-24-2009, 03:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

They were probably just showing the version II one which adds in lens motor..

Actually I think in the first pic the model on the left is screw drive and on the right is the in-lens motor..
02-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
Oh my God...after years of "we want ultrasonic motors too" whining, now starts the "give us back ye ol' faithful screw drive" one!
It's tough being Pentax.
Users wanted an ultrasonic ring motor, Pentax gave them a micro-ultrasonic motor. It's easy being Pentax. Just listen!
02-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote

It's tough being Pentax.
This is because what they gave us isn't an improvement over what they had.