Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Innovation" for its own sake has a way of resulting in certain plateaus of tech never being really perfected: ...I wouldn't be upset if for once, camera makers would in general make *something* without any 'betaware' in it. Could be that that's where the real classics come from, in retrospect: there's always going to be progress, and new stuff, but what really usually counts, it seems to me, is being the model that took all the good stuff that's current, and which put it all together just right.

There's usually some compromises made to cram in some 'innovation' that may not be ready for prime time. I for one would be satisfied with Pentax's direction if they came out with "Here, kids, here's the K30. It's like the K20, only here's your faster AF, and it kicks butt at 1600 and 3200 ISO, and, we gave you a few extra buttons to configure. Bam." I don't think I'd be alone, there.

Of course, I'm considering myself quite-sufficiently technoshocked as it is, never mind jonesing for more 'innovation.' To me, a camera is not (supposed to be) a toy, ...it needs to *work,* and do so consistently and reliably, and preferably with the best viewing and handling characteristics optics can provide. And, come to think of it, this is a pretty classic profile of a 'Pentax person' attitude.

02-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #77
Veteran Member

1) Pentax made the first DSLR I ever owned because it was the best bang for the beginner buck at the time.

2) Pentax made the camera that captured the first picture of my newborn son.

3) Pentax made the camera that captured my first contest winning photo (and all of them since).

4) Pentax made the camera that helped me collect my first photography paycheck (and all of them since).

5) Pentax is the first tool I pick up on the way out the door every morning.

6) Pentax captured the first image that ever brought a tear to one of my client's eye.

7) Pentax is the first DSLR I ever fought with in public. I finally became a good enough photographer to admit that it was my fault but I will always remember that first fight. That's when I knew we had something special, because for the first time in my life I was fighting with a camera over something that really mattered to me... passionately!

You always remember your first with extra fondness. I'll have to admit that I find myself lusting after other bodies these days, but Pentax made the first body that really turned me on; For that, I'm greatful.

So yeah, to answer the O.P. sincerely, for me, Pentax has had some pretty significant firsts. I get the impression that maybe you and Pentax had a few laughs and now you've decided it's time to move on. It's ok to let it go, really. You don't always have to make it the other's fault when it's time to break it off and move on.

Just hop on the Olympus bus Gus... Become a new Canon man... Drop off the K10D Lee... and set yourself free!

Get a new date and go make some new firsts. You'll be glad you did.
02-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote

7) Pentax is the first DSLR I ever fought with in public. I finally became a good enough photographer to admit that it was my fault but I will always remember that first fight. That's when I knew we had something special, because for the first time in my life I was fighting with a camera over something that really mattered to me... passionately!
Heehee. I still think Canon's old brass&glass cameras are best for hand to hand combat. But that's a tale for another day.

*doubletake.* Wait a minute, the fight was about *how good a photographer you were?*

I was just talking about coldcocking random maniacs.

*hide.*

*brandishing FTb defensively. * I know how to use this, you bokeh junkie!

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-26-2009 at 09:18 PM.
02-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
WHO was the first -
In-camera stabilization - Minolta
Contrast AF and LV in DSRL - Olympus and then Nikon, Canon, Sony
AF adjustment - Canon
Video in DSLR - Canon and Nikon
The smallest DSLR - Olympus
Antidust (the most effective) - Olympus
In-camera RAW convertor - Olympus
The high dust and weather resist of DSLR and of lenses - Olympus
Fine AF adjustment (for zooms too) - Olympus

What can Pentax offer new in digital era?
Sv and Tav?

What else? :ugh:
<===(* YAWN *)

Who cares?

Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, and others came to the automotive game long after the big 3. Where are they now? World class competition that forced the big 3 to improve, re-design, re-tool, and modernize their offerings.

Think of Pentax as an element in the market that keeps the big boys honest & offering ever improving products. No matter where the market goes, Pentax will be there ready to snap up market share if they slip.

02-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
<===(* YAWN *)

Who cares?
And, how. Who gives a care who says they did what first, anyway? That talk's for boardrooms and stockbrokers and people trying to apologize for something. Who puts something useful in my *hands* is what counts.
02-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
*doubletake.* Wait a minute, the fight was about *how good a photographer you were?*

Ha, nope - no physical altercations - yet. I was fighting with the auto focus on a low-light shot that I really wanted to get perfect. It got ugly.
02-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
Ha, nope - no physical altercations - yet. I was fighting with the auto focus on a low-light shot that I really wanted to get perfect. It got ugly.
You boys. Always fighting with your tools. As long as they let you turn it off, the tech is your friend.

*koff* Screen for fast lenses, Pentax* *koff.*

02-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #83
Veteran Member

You boys. Always fighting with your tools. As long as they let you turn it off, the tech is your friend.
Heeheee! I've noticed that little issue with tools, too! Good one, RML!

Now, as to the OP, I personally found Pentax innovative enough to bring me back after my initial digital foray with another brand. Even more than innovation, I appreciate Pentax's integration of tools (good bodies, many great lenses) into an affordable system that helps me produce satisfying pictures. I can't ask much more of a camera maker.

Last edited by christinelandon; 02-27-2009 at 01:02 AM.
02-27-2009, 03:52 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To say honest I never use Sv mode. And % of users who use Sv very often is very few.
Digital preview is useless and color adjustment too. Marketing. Help button - funny.... And it's not Pentax move.
Aren't you tired of the rubbish you write here
Do you really think it might change or help anything, except your mood?
02-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #85
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Relax, thibs and hush, dear, hush...
02-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Sv mode? Actually, I use it fairly frequently. Also, my 'User' setting is for me specifically for high-ISO work, as well. Next best thing to a dedicated ISO *dial.* (Call me old-school, but when I want a different ISO, that part of the camera is where my mind wants to look for it, controlswise.) Why not learn that from analog and stick a wheel for that on, ...some of us just aren't 'menu-driven' as a rule.

I keep wanting an accessory back or grip that'll give me graphic-equalizer-like sliders for all the JPeg settings and WB and all that stuff. (Could be a great thing to put on the other side of an unfoldey LCD screen, actually... Child O thee 80s, as my ideas of fancy go. )

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Heeheee! I've noticed that little issue with tools, too! Good one, RML!

Now, as to the OP, I personally found Pentax innovative enough to bring me back after my initial digital foray with another brand. Even more than innovation, I appreciate Pentax's integration of tools (good bodies, many great lenses) into an affordable system that helps me produce satisfying pictures. I can't ask much more of a camera maker.
Anyway, haha, Christine. It's like the comic cliche of guys that get in knots about fixing cars cause ego is at stake. I personally think it took the K10 to put Pentax even back on the scopes for me, (whatever else you can say about the *ist, stuff, silver paint on plastic cameras isn't going to attract the old respect everyone always had for the name, pretty or not as it might be. I can see where it comes from, in a way: there *was* a time when all the amateur stuff was black, and, oddly enough, the old chrome-bodied cameras that were all I had at the time actually registered as 'Old serious stuff' to passersby.

But, I think, for that silver-AF period, it just looked 'girly.' Which is probably something that a lot of guys wouldn't so much care for, and for the girls, yeah, just trying to show up somewhere with an 'Oh, isn't that cute' piece of *gear.*

Anyway, I could see going away for a while, but they really did come back, Pentax. I'm finding this K20 even makes a pretty good impression, which never hurts.
03-01-2009, 04:33 AM   #87
Veteran Member

WHO was the first -
In-camera stabilization - Minolta
Pentax has a patent from the late 80's for Espio zoom compact with built-in image stabilization.

QuoteQuote:
The smallest DSLR - Olympus
Before Olympus, the *ist DS and DL were the most compact.
Now the K-m is the smallest DSLR with built-in image stabilization.

QuoteQuote:
The high dust and weather resist of DSLR and of lenses - Olympus
Pentax was first with *affordable* weather sealing. Pentax brought it to the masses.

QuoteQuote:
What can Pentax offer new in digital era?
Sv and Tav?
What else? :ugh:
User selection of texture sharpening (Sharpness) and edge sharpening (Fine Sharpness) for JPEG's.

Image stabilization with Z-axis.
03-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #88
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Image stabilization with Z-axis.
far, far too many people overlook this.
03-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #89
Site Supporter

Heehee. I still think Canon's old brass&glass cameras are best for hand to hand combat. But that's a tale for another day.

*hide.*

*brandishing FTb defensively. * I know how to use this, you bokeh junkie!
Don't know anything about old Canon's.
I usually just have to show the SMC Pentax-A*135 f1.8 (865 g metal and glass) and they back off
03-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #90
Veteran Member

This thread is amusing.

And sad.