Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Oh, boy, you need to spend some time talking to Nikonians. BF/FF is their main complaint, even with the $1100 85 1.4, $1800 70-200 2.8 VR, etc...

It's silliness to say FF/BF is a Pentax thing - not even close.
To be completely honest: the one and only system where I never heard BF/FF issues of is Olympus 4/3's. Maybe I have not been looking close enough, but it really seems as if Oly has it together in that department. BF/FF issues with Pentax seems as frequent (or maybe more frequent, given the smaller user basis) as with Canon, Nikon, Sony...

03-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Back on topic: Innovation vs. implementation.

Pentax MZ-D was set to be the first FF SLR, but passed on it. Contax got the Kodak-made sensor, and look what happened? Just one example.

Run with it people
AFAIK, the Contax N used the same 'sh*tty' Philips sensor as the one which would use the MZ-D. The output was terrible, and Pentax pulled the plug while the Contax made it to production. The rest is history.
To my knowledge it was the first and final attempt of Philips producing a CCD sensor, and noone weeps about that...
03-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
To be completely honest: the one and only system where I never heard BF/FF issues of is Olympus 4/3's. Maybe I have not been looking close enough, but it really seems as if Oly has it together in that department. BF/FF issues with Pentax seems as frequent (or maybe more frequent, given the smaller user basis) as with Canon, Nikon, Sony...
Never looked very deep then:
Re: Back focus/Front focus Diagnostic?: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=28948424&q=backfocus&qf=m
I will admit that they seem a lot less. May have to do w/ the "near telecentric" lens design more than the AF "hardware" but just a guess...
03-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't read all comments on this topic, but I hope you don't mind that I kick in...

It's quite ironic to see that *the* company that was most innovative (Minolta - later Konica Minolta) threw in the towel and is longer no more. In fact I consider Minolta and Olympus to be the most innovative (wireless TTL flash and in body stabilisation was Minolta, live view and dust buster Olympus) and sometimes they invented things together (OTF TTL first introduced with the OM2, later adapted by Nikon and Pentax.) And from the look of things Oly isn't doing too well either.

On the other hand, the biggest contender (Canon) was at almost nothing innovative. All Canon does is adapting patents so they can use it in their system without paying loyalties (sth is widely common in Japanese electronics.) To be completely honest, I can only come up with two things that Canon introduced: DO and CMOS imagery. The first is a side note in photo history and the second, ironically, came from the 80's when Canon adopted CMOS to make imagery in order not to pay patents to Konica Minolta and Sony for the CCD imagery AF...

So I would say, if Pentax is not considered innovative (your call, I won't say it is or it isn't), it shouldn't be any problem to stay competitive in camera business...

03-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
4/3 do have a thicker DOF and lack of affordable fast lens.
03-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
- Optical IS in lens: Canon
You may be surprised if you do a bit more research on that
Hint; look for patents.