02-25-2009, 06:34 AM   #46
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's important here?
Who's first in this and that?

or

What kind of results do you get with your gear?
Are you happy with them?

02-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #47
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Dear friends, I like Pentax and Pentax lenses and I have no any problems that Pentax is not number 1 now.
But, I want...^)
02-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #48
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What's important here?

or

Are you happy with them?
to some it is painfully apparent that its the former...
02-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #49
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why do you want "....^)"? - whatever that means...
Use what you have to the best of your abilities - if it's not good enough to do the job for you, your decision is simple...

Pentax is not #1 FOR YOU. Does it have to be?

Last edited by Ash; 02-25-2009 at 07:53 AM.
02-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Olympus E-1 had RAW convertor.
Olympus E-1 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Nikon (semi-pro) has dual motor lenses.
Pentax SDM - is slowest system in the world
Wireless flash control in cheap cameras - ??? Which camera do you mean?

Green button -
Nikon Semi pro what, you seem to know. what semi pro lens from Nikon has screw drive and SDM/Equivalent.
K200D. and K-M/K2000D have wireless flash control built in.

Don't mock the green button. Its very useful.
If you are in Manual mode and want to quickly shoot something you might miss. green button is your friend. If you want to reset exposure compensation. green button.
02-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What's important here?

or

Are you happy with them?

I couldn't agree with this a statement more.

Jason
02-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I feel like I shouldn't add to the mess, as I agree with the "who cares who did it first" approach, and it's about taking good shots and whether a given brand is the best tool for your budget to do that. For me, Pentax is and the rest doesn't matter.

But I can't resist a couple...
To say honest I never use Sv mode. And % of users who use Sv very often is very few.
Funny how you go silent on who uses TAv. Now I do use Sv on the odd occasion when I know that light is scare and want to match sensitivity to my tolerance level while being lazy about the rest. But I really appreciate TAv when I want manual control but know the ISO will be within a tolerable range and don't want to fiddle over the little shifts in light levels. Very useful. And when I upgraded to the K10D the availability of TAv was a big plus for me and was remarked on by reviewers as a major innovation offered by Pentax the other brands (and their most serious users) were jealous of.

Olympus has very good compatibility with old lenses, even better than Pentax.
WTF???? Any time I get ideas about picking up an Oly body + OM adapter to start using my old OM lenses again, I revisit this:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_files/mf1instcomp.pdf

Look at the crippling, and the narrow range of useable apertures is absurd! Fast 50's aren't recommended wider than f/2.8! What's the point? And some lenses are reduced to 2 or 3 f-stops. KA mounting on Pentax is far superior, and even for older glass I'll take the GREEN BUTTON any day! Or Av wide open (wide open? with OM adapter? not recommended!).

02-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #53
Veteran Member

hi, this is my 1 post
well do not attack Ogl for creating this thread, because, it's just such time, when everybody is waiting for some news from Pentax, and all the topics, are somehow already drained.. so Ogl decided to create something to debate and discuss..

and you all came up with a conclusion, that doesn't really matter who came first with what.. what matters is how a company refines that feature.. and make it usable in their models..

however another interesting innovative unique feature in Pentax cameras is lower and upper limits in ISO.. which is to my mind very useful feature.

so hi to all of you senior members of this forum..
i was a long time reader and today decided to join the community.. however the lack of any news is painfull
have a good day all of you.
02-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #54
Banned

QuoteQuote:
well do not attack Ogl for creating this thread, because, it's just such time, when everybody is waiting for some news from Pentax, and all the topics, are somehow already drained.. so Ogl decided to create something to debate and discuss..
first off. welcome to the forums. Mystic. since you are new here, you do not know about ogl's habits. he starts these kind of threads just before news from Pentax before trade shows or other predicted announcements. always has an air of anti-pentax. very vaguely putting down pentax and its hardware, while claiming to like Pentax. its obvious to those of us who have encountered his posts and reasoning, that his goal with these threads is to drum up bad feelings and arguments against Pentax. all of his threads are negative, and like this one have no real relevance, other than to again make pentax look bad, point out only its flaws and focus on them. he doesn't participate in this forum very often other than in these situations and times (ie: just before and certainly just after PMA). its tiring and ridiculous to those who have encountered it before. nobody has a problem with debating flaws within the Pentax system, but thats all he cares about (at least from my experience). this thread is a perfect example of what I mean.
02-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #55
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
hi, this is my 1 post

and you all came up with a conclusion, that doesn't really matter who came first with what.. what matters is how a company refines that feature.. and make it usable in their models..

however another interesting innovative unique feature in Pentax cameras is lower and upper limits in ISO.. which is to my mind very useful feature.

so hi to all of you senior members of this forum..
i was a long time reader and today decided to join the community.. however the lack of any news is painfull
have a good day all of you.
Thank you. You are right, dear friend.
02-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #56
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
first off. welcome to the forums. Mystic. since you are new here, you do not know about ogl's habits.
I've been using Pentax for a long time and my answer to you are my lenses.
I have no any plan to change my system and plan to buy DA15 limited.

But I know zoom users who switched to another brand because of BF/FF of Pentax zooms at various focus range.
02-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But I know zoom users who switched to another brand because of BF/FF of Pentax zooms at various focus range.
OK so you find Pentax' quality primes offer more reason to stay than any lack of innovation in DSLR bodies gives as reason to go.

But you're concerned that other people may be leaving Pentax because of QC issues with zooms (and other brands don't have QC issues, I suppose?).

So what is this thread on innovation for, exactly?

This is nuts. Mystic, it would indeed have been nice if this thread had actually been about discussing DSLR innovations, but ogl seems determined to sour it into "whatever Pentax did doesn't count" nay-saying. I knew I shouldn't have let myself get drawn in, and I won't be back.
02-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Oh, boy, you need to spend some time talking to Nikonians. BF/FF is their main complaint, even with the $1100 85 1.4, $1800 70-200 2.8 VR, etc...

It's silliness to say FF/BF is a Pentax thing - not even close.
02-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #59
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
OK so you find Pentax' quality primes offer more reason to stay than any lack of innovation in DSLR bodies gives as reason to go.

But you're concerned that other people may be leaving Pentax because of QC issues with zooms (and other brands don't have QC issues, I suppose?).

So what is this thread on innovation for, exactly?

This is nuts. Mystic, it would indeed have been nice if this thread had actually been about discussing DSLR innovations, but ogl seems determined to sour it into "whatever Pentax did doesn't count" nay-saying. I knew I shouldn't have let myself get drawn in, and I won't be back.
thank you for making my point. even if you don't read this.
02-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
thankfully though it doesn't come up too often. like ricehigh these days...
Should we get ol' RH in here? This should do the trick:
On another forum, I know someone who is returning a Canon 70-200 f/4L because he thinks it's defective.

Now that's some bait

Back on topic: Innovation vs. implementation.

Pentax MZ-D was set to be the first FF SLR, but passed on it. Contax got the Kodak-made sensor, and look what happened? Just one example.

Run with it people