Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
But why put your manufacturing effort into making a $700 dslr when you could make a $2700 one instead?
Are you serious there? The Rebel outsells the 5D (Mark I & II combined) something like 20-to-1 or more (and thats a conservative estimate). I don't know what the profit margin is on each, but I assume they make decent profit off of the Rebel. Plus it brings in 20x more users into the EOS system. Which means more lens sales, more matching camera bags, extra batteries, flashes, etc..

The success of the Rebel (as well as the Powershot P&S's) is what allows them to make cameras like the 5D Mk II.

02-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Its instock right now! Count the minutes or hours before the 5D2 goes out of stock and then tell me there is no demand, no real buyers for full frame dslrs ;^)

Canon | EOS 5D Mark II Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 2764B003
I saw the link and just ordered one, now I'm a 5D 2 owner with no lenses.
02-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #18
Pentaxian

To see or not to see ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ted1212 Quote
Lens withdrawal is tough, particularly if you have Pentax lenses lying about that you can no longer use. I have an idea about that ........
02-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Its instock right now! Count the minutes or hours before the 5D2 goes out of stock and then tell me there is no demand, no real buyers for full frame dslrs ;^)
That's like saying "everyone has a Mac" when you see lots of em with hipsters typing on them at coffee shops. The market share for Apple tells a different story.
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
There's also the question of just how many 5D2's B & H is actually selling. Are they getting 500 a week and selling them out in one day, or are they getting 5 a week?

And, as for your question of why would you make a $700 camera when you can make a $2700 camera, the answer is simple. You can sell ten or twenty $700 cameras for each $2700 camera you sell. Even if the per-camera profit margin is higher for the $2700 camera, it is likely that you will make more total profit, especially in a tough economy, by selling the less expensive camera.
Well said, on both points.

The one time I signed up for a B&H "in stock" email, I got it, went to the site, sold out already. That was for the 1 penny Rosco gel pack...ya can't tell me they don't get hundreds at a time...cause they're 1 cent, not a couple grand.
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Lens withdrawal is tough, particularly if you have Pentax lenses lying about that you can no longer use. I have an idea about that ........
There is a PK -> EF adapter available...you just have to do something about that pesky aperture lever on the PK lens

02-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Cool! You are ahead of me

I got lured to the Darkside 6 weeks ago and got a D700 to go with my old tech 5D to beat the well advertised nikon system price increases. Well and to drive some old Nikon glass I already owned and adapted to canon mount. I had three eos lenses I used with my film body when I added my 5D last May. You should have alot of fun deciding what lens to get first, unless you've got something thats adaptable. Pentax is adaptable to 5D but you must cut off the aperture lever and shield, which I think is crazy. Congrats on your new full frame dslr! You've proven that $2700 is a fair price to pay in 2009 for full frame dslr without a single lens inhand. Hopefully pentax at somepoint sooner than later offers up a full frame at a similar price point.

Yeah, I suppose canon makes more on 20 rebel sales than one 5D2 considering the added assessory sales too. I know of some canon shooters locally who've never bought a single additional canon made item:

Sigma this, Tamron and Quantray that. Sure some 3rd party lenses are fantastic, but its not the "Cult Classics" they're using.

It just passed 3&1/2 hours and 5D2 is still in stock. Impressive. I posted link here here instead of a couple canon forums I visit. I am curious how long it stays available. Eventually I may get me one, especially if I total out a 5D so I can have something to drive eos lenses I own. I Still cannot wrap my head around 21mp and those crazy large files. I find 12mp for full frame is fine. Well my K20D has what 15mp, which fills my needs perfectly & hopefully is big enough for pentax? Maybe more frames per second & articulated viewscreen is on their roadmap instead of 20+mp?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ted1212 Quote
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Psssttt... Buy M42 lenses, just like me!
02-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #22
Inactive Account

It just passed 3&1/2 hours and 5D2 is still in stock. Impressive. I posted link here here instead of a couple canon forums I visit. I am curious how long it stays available. Eventually I may get me one, especially if I total out a 5D so I can have something to drive eos lenses I own. I Still cannot wrap my head around 21mp and those crazy large files. I find 12mp for full frame is fine. Well my K20D has what 15mp, which fills my needs perfectly & hopefully is big enough for pentax? Maybe more frames per second & articulated viewscreen is on their roadmap instead of 20+mp?
I sure hope so.

PENTAX, give me a K10D with an updated sensor, but keep it bellow 16MP.

If I were to buy a camera right now I'd go for a Noink D700 with a couple of expensive fixed focal length lenses. But since that would be throwing money out the window right now I'll wait for PMA and what Pentax has to offer.
02-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thats true, and easier to use huh?

Pentax m42 are great on all canon dslr in that you buy an adapter for each lens thus no more screw'n & unscrew'n to make a lens change. I think I paid $7.50 each delivered on my m42 to eos adapters out of China. or was it $9.50 a pop? I forget.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Psssttt... Buy M42 lenses, just like me!

02-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Pentax m42 are great on all canon dslr in that you buy an adapter for each lens thus no more screw'n & unscrew'n to make a lens change. I think I paid $7.50 each delivered on my m42 to eos adapters out of China. or was it $9.50 a pop? I forget.
Do you get AF confirm? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to M42 glass on my Canon, but the concept of sticking the 50/1.4 SMC Takumar on there is intriguing... and the focusing screen (EC-b I think) actually is pretty decent to manual focus on!

And I do need the adapter for my M42 mount Lensbaby either way.
02-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
PENTAX, give me a K10D with an updated sensor, but keep it bellow 16MP.
The K20D fits the description perfectly
02-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #26
Inactive Account

@Kunzite
Yes it does but still lacks the integrity the K10D offers. My thought about the D700 was not meant to sound like "If Pentax doesn't deliver I'll go Noink" ... it was meant to sound like "If I was buying a new DSLR and didn't have a digital body yet, I'd go Noink D700".

A perfectly reasonable move for me would be "If I don't like the K20D successor I'll buy a K20D."
02-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #27
Pentaxian

What do you mean, lacks the integrity?
Well if you're happy with the K10D it makes sense to wait and (probably) skip a generation, i.e. the K20D.
02-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I don't use focus confirmation chip'd adapters with 5D

I've never owned a screw mount pentax film body. Did these full frame screw mount film cameras have a focus confirmation feature? If not, then how did people in the 1960's and 1970's focus without a glowing dot?

I've been using 4 Nikon AiS lenses with my D700 and inspite of the fact the lenses have no electric connection to the dslr I get focus confirmation. And better yet I get a right or left arrow telling me which way to rotate the focus ring to make the focus dot glow.

On the 5D I did add their D screen for manual focus adapted slow lenses, or fast lenses stopped down. When installed it really helps focus at f8 and f11... I added their S screen for f2.8 and faster glass too. Well worth the $35 they get as opposed to something like a katzeye for $100+. Screens designed for certain speed glass is a handy feature.

The D700 does not have a removeable screen but it works exceptionally well with old manual focus glass too. Being full frame & almost full size is why I added full frame dslrs to my system:

So I could see again like I still can with film bodies.

D700 isn't 100% but its close. Neither is 5D or 5DII 100% viewfinder but again close. D3 is 100% viewfinder, but then you're at $4350. Too much for a 100% viewfinder for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Do you get AF confirm? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to M42 glass on my Canon, but the concept of sticking the 50/1.4 SMC Takumar on there is intriguing... and the focusing screen (EC-b I think) actually is pretty decent to manual focus on!

And I do need the adapter for my M42 mount Lensbaby either way.
02-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #29
Inactive Account

@ Kunzite
The K20D to me feels a bit unfinished. The poor live view (that I don't like to use anyway), too many useless features which I'll never use ... like presets for developing RAW, etc.
The K10D is a great tool for taking pictures, can't they just stay in that realm and trim off all the useless features of P&S cameras. These cameras are becoming Swiss army knifes, maybe the next generation will have a bottle opener on the grip and shoot confetti.

Sorry for ranting, I needed to get that out of my system ... it's been building up since they introduced the K20D which wasn't quite what I expected.
02-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
@ Kunzite
The K20D to me feels a bit unfinished. The poor live view (that I don't like to use anyway), too many useless features which I'll never use ... like presets for developing RAW, etc.
The K10D is a great tool for taking pictures, can't they just stay in that realm and trim off all the useless features of P&S cameras. These cameras are becoming Swiss army knifes, maybe the next generation will have a bottle opener on the grip and shoot confetti.
That's funny to me — I have and really like the K10D, but it's all the little feature improvements in the K20D that make me a bit jealous. Not much of what's added seems to fall in the realm of "useless features of P&S cameras" to me.