Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #1

PMA sneak peak

Pentax is on the list.

http://www.pmai.org/pma_news.aspx?id=15520

02-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
AHA !!! as this is the only "OFFICIAL' press conference for introducing new products, maybe pentax have been prevented from issuing thier own press release and anouncements so far.. so whatever pentax have to release, it will be known on sunday afternoon...

cant help but also notice that CANON is absent from the list of companies presenting anything new.....

so monday morning next week i will know whether I am buying a 5DMkII or a brand new Pentax camera.....
02-26-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
cant help but also notice that CANON is absent from the list of companies presenting anything new.....
And Sony. But I guess that has been official for a while.
02-26-2009, 05:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh, that's interesting. I guess it gives journalists better access to companies and vice versa.

Although I wouldn't be totally surprised if any announcement from Pentax came on a day other than Sunday (later presumably) because maybe they'll get a touch swamped if everyone else from this event is releasing announcements on the day.

02-26-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mr.voigtlander Quote
Is there a kitchen sink on there.

It looks like everyone is on the list.
02-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #6

So does that mean Canon is riding this one out with just their tilt shift, or they just are skipping the preview and counting on getting plenty of press without it?
02-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
So does that mean Canon is riding this one out with just their tilt shift, or they just are skipping the preview and counting on getting plenty of press without it?
Don't think Canon has anything ready to rock at this point. The 50D is pretty new, as is the 5DII. I'd expect the 1D/1Ds Mk III to be replaced this fall or next spring, but really doubt it'll be before then. Considering the problems they had with the Mk III I suspect they will take their time with the next release or risk losing a lot of their professional customer base.

To the guy thinking about the 5DII: take a long hard look at both the 1Ds Mk II and the 1D Mk III. Both are coming down pretty low in price used and may be worthy of consideration depending on your needs.

02-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Don't know if this list means a company won't have an announcement or not. I know of one company (cough) that isn't on this list that does indeed have an announcement to make on 3-2. So that makes me suspicious as to whether or not that means they do or do not have any news.

C
02-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd guess Canon is overwhelmed with 5D Mark II backorders.

Canon screwed up, obviously. They should have priced the 5D Mark II much higher to curtail excessive demand. I've only seen it instock at B&H 2 times since Dec 24th 2008. I look every morning for it and a few other items that remain out of stock. Had I not done this morning coffee search then I would have never seen it instock. Once they even let me add my name to email list. Never heard a thing as i am too far down on the list I guess. Inspite of the common belief very few full frame dslrs get sold thesedays Canon cannot keep a supply lined filled to overfull with 5D2.

I'd guess no 60D from them, maybe a rebel. But why put your manufacturing effort into making a $700 dslr when you could make a $2700 one instead?

K20D is back instock at places I shop at so I am not certain it will get replaced either in next day or few days. But who knows, Pentax is a far tighter company now with hoya pulling the strings. Credible rumors concerning Pentax upcoming items no longer exist. Rumors on this forum are really want lists, assumptions, logical guesses & illogical guesses. Hoya has changed the classic pentax roadmap way of doing business.

Then again a TC 1.4x SDM is roadmapped huh? After 20+ years of offering autofocus glass I cannot imagine why making a fully functional 1.4x TC is so difficult for Pentax?

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Don't think Canon has anything ready to rock at this point. The 50D is pretty new, as is the 5DII. I'd expect the 1D/1Ds Mk III to be replaced this fall or next spring, but really doubt it'll be before then. Considering the problems they had with the Mk III I suspect they will take their time with the next release or risk losing a lot of their professional customer base.

To the guy thinking about the 5DII: take a long hard look at both the 1Ds Mk II and the 1D Mk III. Both are coming down pretty low in price used and may be worthy of consideration depending on your needs.
02-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Don't know if this list means a company won't have an announcement or not. I know of one company (cough) that isn't on this list that does indeed have an announcement to make on 3-2. So that makes me suspicious as to whether or not that means they do or do not have any news.

C
I think this is just the 'sneak peek' list. As you mention, there are others - including Sony - who will be presenting _something_ that aren't on this list. It may be the case their announcements are not quite as ground shattering and will take the second wave of interest at the main show.
02-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Make that 3 times since Dec 24th. 5D Mark II is instock:

Its instock right now! Count the minutes or hours before the 5D2 goes out of stock and then tell me there is no demand, no real buyers for full frame dslrs ;^)

Canon | EOS 5D Mark II Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 2764B003

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Canon screwed up, obviously. They should have priced the 5D Mark II much higher to curtail excessive demand. I've only seen it instock at B&H 2 times since Dec 24th 2008. I look every morning for it and a few other items that remain out of stock. Had I not done this morning coffee search then I would have never seen it instock. Once they even let me add my name to email list. Never heard a thing as i am too far down on the list I guess. Inspite of the common belief very few full frame dslrs get sold thesedays Canon cannot keep a supply lined filled to overfull with 5D2.

I'd guess no 60D from them, maybe a rebel. But why put your manufacturing effort into making a $700 dslr when you could make a $2700 one instead?

K20D is back instock at places I shop at so I am not certain it will get replaced either in next day or few days. But who knows, Pentax is a far tighter company now with hoya pulling the strings. Credible rumors concerning Pentax upcoming items no longer exist. Rumors on this forum are really want lists, assumptions, logical guesses & illogical guesses. Hoya has changed the classic pentax roadmap way of doing business.

Then again a TC 1.4x SDM is roadmapped huh? After 20+ years of offering autofocus glass I cannot imagine why making a fully functional 1.4x TC is so difficult for Pentax?
02-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #12

Its instock right now! Count the minutes or hours before the 5D2 goes out of stock and then tell me there is no demand, no real buyers for full frame dslrs ;^)
Or maybe they are doing very little production runs, too busy with rebels
02-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sneak Peek is not a big deal. Yeah its a press event but its just a short overview of gear. Typically camera companies do not show their just announced DSLR there, Compacts yes, but they hold off till tues (first day of show) to unveil the big guns.
I will be attending Sneak Peek, and the ultra exclusive press event Digital Focus (editorial staff only) thats that evening in which Pentax will also be at and is said to be showing something new. Past that I have no clue.
Canon is not there because its a big CF (every blogger and their mom can show up really) and they dont need the extra attention, Nikon usualy isn't there either. (They both attend Digital Focus, not really associated with PMA, but "happens" to be at the same time, its a Private PR event really)
Sony is having a special press conff too so thats prob why they are not there.
Dont worry you can keep up to date via the site I work for (linked threw my blog) I will not post it here as I do not feel to give a free direct plug but will link if I find something big for Pentax
02-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is plenty of demand for *Canon* full-frame DSLRs - the issue is whether there would be any demand for *Pentax* full-frame DSLRs. BTW, I know a wedding photographer who's getting a 5DII primarily for the video capability, so don't underestimate that part of its appeal. He has a 5D, but prefers his 40D for most of his shooting.
02-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Ff dslr

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
There is plenty of demand for *Canon* full-frame DSLRs - the issue is whether there would be any demand for *Pentax* full-frame DSLRs. BTW, I know a wedding photographer who's getting a 5DII primarily for the video capability, so don't underestimate that part of its appeal. He has a 5D, but prefers his 40D for most of his shooting.

There's also the question of just how many 5D2's B & H is actually selling. Are they getting 500 a week and selling them out in one day, or are they getting 5 a week?

And, as for your question of why would you make a $700 camera when you can make a $2700 camera, the answer is simple. You can sell ten or twenty $700 cameras for each $2700 camera you sell. Even if the per-camera profit margin is higher for the $2700 camera, it is likely that you will make more total profit, especially in a tough economy, by selling the less expensive camera.