Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adnan EROL Quote
I'd prefer to wait for K-2 (Himalayan mountain)
K2 and K7 are both part of Karakoram (but the Karakoram range is often considered a part of Himalaya, although it's really "behind" Himalaya). K7 has a massive granite wall which was first climbed by japanese climbers. Nearby Trango Tower has an even more impressive wall.

02-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Which mountain

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
K-7 in France means K-sept, old media to store music. They could name it CD or better DVD with or wOut bluray, unless they need to go back to basics again.
As for the Mountain icon for the marketing push are they pushing UP or DOWN the mountain???

RuiC
Up the mountain. The original idea was to use the mountain logo and call the camera Sisyphus - first in a line of model names derived from Greek theology. Then they found someone who actually reads Western literature. He talked them out of it.

I have to go now. My manager has another boulder for me.
02-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
K-7 is a peak in the Karakoram range in Pakistan, about 7,000 meters in height and was conquered in 1984 by members of the Japan Ski Alpine club.

One of the team's younger members, Mr. Nagata, has had a very successful career at Hoya and has taken over camera marketing strategy. He wants to recognize the ascent and its 25th anniversary while using it as the cornerstone for the renewed Pentax emphasis on outdoors, all-weather photography.

The new K-7 will be the first of the rugged cameras aimed at adventurers and seekers of the wilderness. The mountain is the new icon for the marketing push. "Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints. And take your pictures with Pentax."

Not all of the above statements are entirely correct. Please feel free to take your pick.
Other than Billy, mountains don't move very quickly. Guess this means faster AF ain't coming with this model.
02-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #19

First MC Hammer, then K7 - what's next?

I may also add that "K7" is the name of a hip hop band/one-hit wonders from the 1990's. I hope that Pentax isn't releasing a camera in honor of them.

02-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Que 7 was an area of Vietnam marked by heavy fighting from 1968 - 1976, where photo-journalists earned their chops using Pentax Spotmatics and K's.

No. Wait.
02-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

K-7 is a peak in the Karakoram range in Pakistan, about 7,000 meters in height and was conquered in 1984 by members of the Japan Ski Alpine club.

One of the team's younger members, Mr. Nagata, has had a very successful career at Hoya and has taken over camera marketing strategy. He wants to recognize the ascent and its 25th anniversary while using it as the cornerstone for the renewed Pentax emphasis on outdoors, all-weather photography.

The new K-7 will be the first of the rugged cameras aimed at adventurers and seekers of the wilderness. The mountain is the new icon for the marketing push. "Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints. And take your pictures with Pentax."

Not all of the above statements are entirely correct. Please feel free to take your pick.

Ah. Well. K2 would have more name recognition out there in general, though it may imply membership in the 'last years' ' generation of Pentax cameras, which I assume such a model would not be.

'First of the rugged cameras,' though, that has to be impressive. You realize someone on this board launched a K10 into *space* with the *kit lens* (without a space suit) and then dropped it on Oklahoma? and got real good images?

I guess if someone wanted to name the next model after a particular mountain they have a personal attachment to, though, who am I to argue.
02-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about calling it K9, Pentax will be able to appeal to all the dog lovers of the world, not to mention police dog units, hmmm maybe even pet shops will get to sell it... Pentax, the best camera for your pooch shots

02-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #23

Nobody mentioned AMD K7? Am I too young for this forum?
02-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
How about calling it K9, Pentax will be able to appeal to all the dog lovers of the world, not to mention police dog units, hmmm maybe even pet shops will get to sell it... Pentax, the best camera for your pooch shots
All the Canikon Fora would just call it a dog.

Bad marketing decision.
02-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #25
ogl
Banned

More MP at APS-C - Oh, no...
I think that 14.6 is the limit. Smaller pixel size = worse colors.
02-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #26

You guys really know how to make a new member feel welcome, it's not like we have enough pentax users I don't care how his rumors are, how bout just a "Bienvenidos, amigo!" [sorry I don't speak french].
Happy Friday
02-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #27

Cool description, correct or not.

I really hope Pentax keep on pushing the ourdoors. rugged theme with their cameras. It's where Canon in particular is weak, and Nikon is inconsistent, so it gives Pentax a nice edge.

Olympus are pretty rugged too, but 4/3rds lets them down.
02-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chocolar Quote
You guys really know how to make a new member feel welcome, it's not like we have enough pentax users I don't care how his rumors are, how bout just a "Bienvenidos, amigo!" [sorry I don't speak french].
Happy Friday
Wrong particular thread, if you want to judge your camera system based on friendly.

*This* particular board is where random trolls try to undermine consumer confidence in alarmist ways. For friendly welcomes, try, well, anywhere else but 'News and Rumors.'

You'll actually get one.

Or are you working on some form of 'meta-trolling?'

It's... Some cameras. And lenses. And stuff.

Maybe you would like them. I mean, hey. There are a lot of nice people here. Also, some people who like Pentax are complete Neanderthals, in all the worst senses of the word.

I mean, hey, *anyone* might say they like Pentax. Complete dbags could feel they are advocating something here.

For the most part, though, well, when it comes down to making images or helping others to do so, ...well, if you find this community deficient in any way, compared to Sniugglynikonia.com or RememberWhatGoddessCanonIsNamedForLet'sBegood.org, or even ThisIsDestinyReally.Olympus.gov...

Go ahead and go there.

Good folks here.
02-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i can move mountains with my stare alone
Continuing with the music theme...

"Girl I stand up next to a mountain/and I chop it down, with the edge of my hand"

$5 imaginary goes to the first one to name the song
02-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Actually..this rumour is "almost" true. The new model is not K7....it's KY
box look down hip height viewfinder.....but disappointing size.....