03-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If a 645 come, the name most be XL.

03-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I heard the same rumor on a french forum (for french readers:
Rumeurs et élucubrations diverses (K30d et k3d)
page 21 and 22).
The rumor says that the next DSLR would be called "K7" as a tribute to Pentax 60th anniversary (I fail to see the logic here).
Pentax 60th anniversary... wasn't that the LX about 30 years ago?
I remember reading somewhere that Pentax started around 1919 as the Asahi Optical Co.
04-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I remember reading somewhere that Pentax started around 1919 as the Asahi Optical Co.
That is correct.

A little history just for fun.

PENTAX started out as the Asahi Optical Company (AOC) In 1919.
Through the 1930’s AOC was a leading lens manufacturer for Japanese camera and optical instrument manufacturers, thanks to the company’s superb lens polishing skills.
In 1952 Asahi Optical Company introduced the world’s first 35mm single lens reflex camera – the Asahiflex I.
In 1954 the Asahiflex II camera is introduced which incorporates the world’s first instant return mirror system. This system solved the problem of viewfinder blackout and paved the way for major progress in SLR camera development.
In 1957 Asahi Optical Company introduced one of the first SLR cameras to incorporate a pentaprism viewfinder for upright eye-level and laterally correct viewing and framing. This camera was called the “Asahi PENTAX” and the name “PENTAX” was born.
The name PENTAX comes from two words:
PENTAprism and refleX mirror = PENTAX
In 2002 Asahi Optical Company, officially changes its name to PENTAX CORPORATION.
04-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
If a 645 come, the name most be XL.
As long as they don't call it the Big-K. I can hear the "blue-light specials" jokes already.

04-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #65
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dorianb Quote
That is correct.

Through the 1930’s AOC was a leading lens manufacturer for Japanese camera and optical instrument manufacturers, thanks to the company’s superb lens polishing skills.
In 1952 Asahi Optical Company introduced the world’s first 35mm single lens reflex camera – the Asahiflex I.
In 1954 the Asahiflex II camera is introduced which incorporates the world’s first instant return mirror system. This system solved the problem of viewfinder blackout and paved the way for major progress in SLR camera development.
In 1957 Asahi Optical Company introduced one of the first SLR cameras to incorporate a pentaprism viewfinder for upright eye-level and laterally correct viewing and framing. This camera was called the “Asahi PENTAX” and the name “PENTAX” was born.
The name PENTAX comes from two words:
PENTAprism and refleX mirror = PENTAX
In 2002 Asahi Optical Company, officially changes its name to PENTAX CORPORATION.
PENTAX digiich
Strange
04-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
What is strange?
04-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #67
Zav
Pentaxian

Oups, nothing is strange! My mistake ^^

04-16-2009, 02:18 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Just a little voice of reason...

*If* Pentax were to name the new DSLR K7, that just means they are aligning the numbering of their entire setup, incl the Optio P&S cameras. Nothing more to it in my opinion...

Wim
04-16-2009, 03:22 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Just a little voice of reason...

*If* Pentax were to name the new DSLR K7, that just means they are aligning the numbering of their entire setup, incl the Optio P&S cameras. Nothing more to it in my opinion...

Wim
Mmm dunno.. after al the P&S serie is updated Two times per year (almost) and DSLR every year and a half. I don't see the point of aligning in such conditions.
04-16-2009, 03:50 AM   #70
Inactive Account

XC reasoning!
(If it turns out to be true, you're a hero, else we forget... .)

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
If they are tired of the K names they wont name it LX something. LX = 60 (L=50 and X=10) for the 60-years anniversary in 1979 (though it was not sold until 1980). There were never a LX-2 or LX-II or even a LX-A (when the A contacts came just three years after the LX), so why should they do that now?

But Pentax has always been anniversary freaks who liked to release special versions of cameras when they had any sort of thing to celebrate...

Let me present the new high end model:

Pentax XC

XC for eXCellent
XC = 90 (X = -10 and C = 100) for Pentax 90-years anniversary

A think it would be a pitty if they didn't use this name since it has a nice double meaning.

The LX was released right in the middle of the M-serie so they could very well do the same, stick in a XC and still continue the K**D serie.

It is fun to speculate!
04-16-2009, 04:20 AM   #71
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andreas Quote
XC reasoning!
(If it turns out to be true, you're a hero, else we forget... .)
XC-D (eXCeeD) would also be nice I think!
04-16-2009, 04:28 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dorianb Quote
That is correct.

Asahiflex I was Japan's first..., but Contax S was first in 1949 with a SLR and pentaprism. Pentax "AP" came with pentaprism in 1957...
First SLR was a 6X6 Rolleiflex 1929 by Francke & Heidecke, but only with a fixed lens.
04-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
XC for eXCellent
XC = 90 (X = -10 and C = 100) for Pentax 90-years anniversary

A think it would be a pitty if they didn't use this name since it has a nice double meaning.
Can we hope it's good enough to produce lots of eX-Canikon users?

04-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #74
Forum Member

Please keep in mind that starting from the K-m / K2000, Pentax got rid of the "D" in model number. I think it's fairly obvious that all future Pentax SLRs will be digital ones, now that even the 645NII and 67 will be discontinued. So I won't be at all surprised to see all future model numbers go without a "D".
04-18-2009, 11:50 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Fang Quote
Please keep in mind that starting from the K-m / K2000, Pentax got rid of the "D" in model number. I think it's fairly obvious that all future Pentax SLRs will be digital ones, now that even the 645NII and 67 will be discontinued. So I won't be at all surprised to see all future model numbers go without a "D".
There numbers never make sense, (I never tracked the logic of the Zx series.) But K-2 has been used in a much loved (by me anyway) film body, and I wouldn't want to see a digital K2.