Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is the Nikon from behind:

So, similar, but it's a new camera, not a photoshop job or a rebranding. Note also that the nikon is proportionally wider.

03-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Nikon P90 gains the pull out LCD screen. That Pentax Bridge camera is almost the same as the older Nikon P80.

I wish pentax just built something from scratch. Alot of these new bridge super zooms, the rebranded ones, don't function all that well and don't look as good.

So far imo only the Canon SX1/SX10 and the Panny FZ18/28 really hold their ground as a solid package.
03-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
What's up with the button?

Anyway, I'm interested if it's K mount.
Maybe it's "portrait mode" and this thing is the source of the square sensor rumor--a tiny square sensor.
03-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
Forum Member

My guess would be face detection.

03-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what?

QuoteOriginally posted by denisv Quote
Someone on the other forum spotted an editor error in the article:

Colorfoto, das Magazin für digitale Fotografie - colorfoto.de Olympus

A Pentax bridge camera with smaller sensor (?), EVF, fixed lens (macro button) and apparently no hotshoe.

I'm not excited. Bridge cameras like this are even dorkier than DSLRs.
For us slow witted non-German speaking types, or just simply slow-witted, am am I looking for some mention in an article on the Olympus e620? I see the "incorrect" image, but how did that morph into a "bridge camera" discussion? Sorry, I'm moving slowly this Sunday,
Brian
03-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #21
Ole
Administrator

Someone on the other forum spotted an editor error in the article:

Colorfoto, das Magazin für digitale Fotografie - colorfoto.de Olympus

A Pentax bridge camera with smaller sensor (?), EVF, fixed lens (macro button) and apparently no hotshoe.

I'm not excited. Bridge cameras like this are even dorkier than DSLRs.
I hope that this camera becomes for real. If Pentax can lure more entry level customers into the fold that's only a good thing. When they later upgrade to a DSLR they may be more likely to chose Pentax again. More marketshare means more revnenue and more money for development of new toys for all of us!

I only hope they show some restraint on the pixel count in the interest of image quality.
03-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

A tiny square sensor wouldn't be such a ridiculous idea, actually. One model of compact actually has a sensor that has empty space so that all the different formats it can shoot in have the exact same magnification.

Anyway, I like bridge cameras and am looking forward to seeing them really come of age. I like my Lumix FZ-7 (though the 8 is really improved, finderwise) and my sweetie is presently using the little guy a lot more than I, particularly today while we're having a rare-for-here snowstorm.

A weather-sealed bridge camera with a proper control wheel or two, (and hopefully a zoom ring: those toggles have a way of getting old) would be a lovely thing to see out there. And it's very doable.

They're a very useful companion, these. For beginners, as well as those who aren't really interested in 'serious' telephoto work, (It's kind of fun to basically have a 400mm lens in your pocket, reachwise. My sweetie is in the sciences, and there's a certain amount of call for the reach and macro, out in the field, we've found. (And I'm glad to see my little friend there still with a job to do. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-01-2009 at 12:18 PM.
03-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #23
Inactive Account

But without flash?
Pocketable ultrazoom for birders and other outdoorsy types; weather sealed, shake reduction, but no real use for flash and it (like the articulated screen) makes the weather sealing harder/more expensive.
03-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Is there anyy reason that a Pentax Bridge Camera would not have an APS-C sensor?

I know nothing about this market segment, and I'm curious.
03-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Yes, there is - the price and the difficulty of making a compact ultrazoom lens to put on it.
Stop dreaming, folks... a friendly advice
03-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Lack of a flash shoe is one thing not-so-cool about the Lumixes, but in practice it's really not too big a deal for me. Still, it'd be a good thing for a lot of people. The pop-up flashes can do most of the job, in my case, (My Lumix usually has the flash turned down a bit, actually, just gives a bit of fill) Articulated screens, I think, are a bit over-rated, (I think they fall into my 'nice but nothing to fuss over' category) when you can have screens that are just viewable from wider angles (or in the Lumix case, you can hit a button and use it for overhead shooting.)

I think it'll be interesting to see Pentax's take on the genre.
03-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Graydon Quote
Pocketable ultrazoom for birders and other outdoorsy types; weather sealed, shake reduction, but no real use for flash and it (like the articulated screen) makes the weather sealing harder/more expensive.
In my fantasy world, it would have a tiny built-in flash which would be able to act as a controller for wireless P-TTL. (Maybe even only as a controller.)
03-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Is there anyy reason that a Pentax Bridge Camera would not have an APS-C sensor?

I know nothing about this market segment, and I'm curious.
Its going to be a repackaged of other superzooms you see on the market right now. You likely won't see any Pentax input besides the menu layout. For example the Fujifilm version of these superzooms (s1000fd, not the s100sf) don't even have Fuji's SuperCCD.
03-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
Its going to be a repackaged of other superzooms you see on the market right now. You likely won't see any Pentax input besides the manu layout. For example the Fujifilm version of these superzooms (s1000fd, not the s100sf) don't even have Fuji's SuperCCD.
I love when people condemn others when they only saw a rear shape of an unanounced and unspecced product.
03-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Isn't that just a fake picture of the back of the K-m?