Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good grief. I seriously hope Pentax goes along with Samsung and creates a hybrid camera. Seriously, shouldn't Samsung (jack-of-all-trades electronics company) be the one peddling this type of crap super zoom while Pentax, supposedly a serious photographers company, be working on cameras serious photographers actually would use? Yep, Pentax is no more niche then Canon is niche at this point. They are apparently content to make all the same cameras as everyone else, just without the marketing and sales numbers to go along with the generic cameras.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 03-02-2009 at 07:52 AM.
03-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
[QUOTE=MCR;509189]Coupled with the Auto-Tracking AF mode that keeps a fast-moving subject in focus all the time, the X70 captures once-in-a-lifetime, decisive moments in sharp focus, even when the subject is an active child or unpredictable petQUOTE]

Gotta see this to believe it, but with a P&S huge DOF, even the current DSLR AF-C probably works fine...

And no hotshoe, PC port or weathersealing? I don't get it...
03-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=kenyee;509308]
QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
Coupled with the Auto-Tracking AF mode that keeps a fast-moving subject in focus all the time, the X70 captures once-in-a-lifetime, decisive moments in sharp focus, even when the subject is an active child or unpredictable petQUOTE]

Gotta see this to believe it, but with a P&S huge DOF, even the current DSLR AF-C probably works fine...

And no hotshoe, PC port or weathersealing? I don't get it...
Especially when you see what Samsung is releasing.

What was that motto again?

"Be interesting" ????

Well, Pentax will release what looks to be the third incarnation of the P90 while Samsung will show the first micro-APS-C camera with what looks a lot like a super compact pancake lens... I am pretty sure I know which one is "interesting" to me but unfortunately, it's not the Pentax one.
03-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #19
wll
Veteran Member

I'm A Pentax Fan Boy, But This ?

IMHO this is a REAL KNOW WHERE camera. It is a me too.

Most importantly why would you buy this camera, when Nikon has a rotatable LCD ..... I don't get it !

The zoom sounds interesting, and so does the high ISO ... but we need to see the images using those features.

Looking at it in general, I'm disappointed.

wll

03-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I saw this I was hoping it used on of the better/bigger sensors. Bummer no.

No mention of stereo sound. That would be on my 'must have' list for a cross-over still/video camera.

Looks pretty nice tho and will fulfill the wants of a large number of potential customers in the world. Hope it does great and stacks up well against its rivals at the right price and is a success.

The extreme criticism is kinda ridiculous from you folks here. this camera is obviously not geared towards you. Heck, I was considering the Olympus or Panasonic equiv of this 2 years ago before deciding a D-SLR is what I really wanted and decided I'd pony up the significant extra coin for it and all the lenses. If Pentax can sell enough of these to aid in their viability I'm all for it!!!

Last edited by m8o; 03-02-2009 at 08:50 AM.
03-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
I think this is actually a better move than a new DSLR

*ducks to avoid incoming flames*

Think about it.
When it comes to new Pentax releases, I don't see much of that being done...
03-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #22
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm happy. I now know I can/should take advantage of the K20D price drop.

03-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you're all missing the main feature:
QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
The auto sensitivity control range can be set randomly between ISO 50 and super-high ISO 6400.
03-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Agreed, if they make this X70 a hybrid, I am happy...

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Good grief. I seriously hope Pentax goes along with Samsung and creates a hybrid camera. Seriously, shouldn't Samsung (jack-of-all-trades electronics company) be the one peddling this type of crap super zoom while Pentax, supposedly a serious photographers company, be working on cameras serious photographers actually would use? Yep, Pentax is no more niche then Canon is niche at this point. They are apparently content to make all the same cameras as everyone else, just without the marketing and sales numbers to go along with the generic cameras.
03-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Pentax obviously must have done some market research before embarking on their first prosumer bridge camera. Given the world economy in crisis that will take years to unravel, and the fact that many Pentax users are budget conscious (read penny pinching and cheap), this might be the ideal camera in terms of marketing demographics.

Pentax users must see this camera for what it is.
Pentax is throwing down the gauntlet for Pentax users to come up with interesting photographic images with a camera that has an economy of features that's bereft of the excessive bells and whistles we have all come to expect. To me that's an interesting and purist interpretation of the "Be Interesting" slogan. It's not what the camera can do for you but what you can do with the camera. What's the point of having a camera with the best features if one can't shoot for nuts?
With the X70, you got a camera that's enough to get by, much like the MX/K1000 in the days of film.

Anyway I reserve judgment on the X70 until a full and formal review but on-paper spec of 11 frames per second in nothing to pooh, pooh about.
03-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #26

My theory is that Pentax decided to delay the launch of 14mp K300 so they contacted whoever is making the Nikon 24X bridgecam (could be Olympus or Cosina) to make a Pentax version.

BTW, I just put a certain person on ignore list. The dude is too annoying without any humor to his posts.
03-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #27

This could have been interesting with a K-mount. Imagine using K-mount lenses with a sensor that has, what, 6X crop factor? A 50mm Macro lens becomes a 300mm Macro lens. An 18-250mm lens would effectively become a 100-1500 one. Beat that Bigma

As it is, I don't see the point of this camera. It doesn't have the articulated LCD screen that cameras like the Canon SX10 and Nikon P90 offer, and it doesn't have the hot-shoe which cameras like the SX10, Olympus SP570 and Kodak Z980 offer. Without these features, one might as well go for a semi-pocketable ultrazoom like Panasonic TZ7 or a Canon SX200. They're sure going to be nicer to carry around than the X70.

Prog.
03-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #28

Really disappointing... let's wait for other announcements and hope...
03-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
I think you're all missing the main feature:
QuoteOriginally posted by MCR:
The auto sensitivity control range can be set randomly between ISO 50 and super-high ISO 6400.
Hah! ... it's probably pseudo-random at best .
03-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #30
Veteran Member

advanced P&S camera from Pentax is good.

but as for me I still don't know if I should invest in the DAs. I don't think I will buy any new lenses any time soon.

are they going for FF? or 4/3? or what? its really hard to build a camera bag with Pentax.

no new lenses what does that mean?

can some one please explain or are you all as confuse as I am.