Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
My theory is that Pentax decided to delay the launch of 14mp K300 so they contacted whoever is making the Nikon 24X bridgecam (could be Olympus or Cosina) to make a Pentax version.

BTW, I just put a certain person on ignore list. The dude is too annoying without any humor to his posts.
Well put

03-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
but as for me I still don't know if I should invest in the DAs. I don't think I will buy any new lenses any time soon. are they going for FF? or 4/3? or what? its really hard to build a camera bag with Pentax.
Pentax are going to stick with APS-C.
No sign of 24x36 and no sign of 4/3.
If Pentax goes to a "micro format", it will be micro mount K with APS-C sensor.
Samsung are going APS-C with their new micro mount camera. And according to earlier information from them, it will use the same 14.6Mp CMOS that the K20D is using.

So, Samsung invests in APS-C. And they make the sensors for Pentax...

QuoteQuote:
no new lenses what does that mean?
Come on now, the DA 15 f/4 Limited will be out shortly and so will the DA Star 60-250 f/4.
03-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #33

Missing the point

You are all missing the point here. Pentax needs to have a camera to sell to the masses so that they have cash flow. That is why the others do it. Camera manufactures cannot survive just producing for the serious user, and if they did the prices would be where we could not afford them. Be thankful that they are making a bridge unit to go along with the point and shoots. This makes it more affordable to the middle group between serious and snapshot photographers. Think about it, more cash flow more money for R&D more better models for the serious guys. I hate to bring things down to this point but cash flow makes R&D possible and in this economy...... Want a K30? Promote this one to all of the less then serious people you know and you will see what happens...I was going to say "Trust me" here but really trust me its about cash flow........
03-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i don't think this will make our buddy Ned "switch" from his LX-3/DL-4
This is exactly right! This is not enough for the President of Pentax imaging to give up his leisonic!.

So again, if the president of Pentax Imaging buys a leisonic, why should any of us by a Pentax point and shoot? Food for thought.

03-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #35

i kinda like this

its got some pretty nice features and like the poster above me says ... companies have to do this to appeal to the ultra-zoom loving, non-slr savvy, nuveau-riche clientele ...
03-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

well hopefully they will be coming out with more than just this.
Hopefully there is still a K30D in there someplace.
03-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
This is exactly right! This is not enough for the President of Pentax imaging to give up his leisonic!.

So again, if the president of Pentax Imaging buys a leisonic, why should any of us by a Pentax point and shoot? Food for thought.
If you need a president of any brand to show what you have to buy there's a problem somewhere IMO.

03-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The reason why Ned buys a Leica is because he's rich. Rich people buy Leicas because they're rich and because rich people have Leicas because that's the camera rich people use. If he had bought a compact camera to use as a photographer's tool, he would have bought the LX3.
03-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
The reason why Ned buys a Leica is because he's rich. Rich people buy Leicas because they're rich and because rich people have Leicas because that's the camera rich people use. If he had bought a compact camera to use as a photographer's tool, he would have bought the LX3.
Class envy much?
03-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timberspine Quote
its got some pretty nice features and like the poster above me says ... companies have to do this to appeal to the ultra-zoom loving, non-slr savvy, nuveau-riche clientele ...
I think they may need this kind of camera also for those that do not yet know that they actually want a DSLR. I don't know if there are any reliable polls on the upgrade paths of newbie DSLR users, but I wouldn't be surprised if many upgrade via "bridge cameras".
Cameras like the LX3 is for those who already perfectly well know what a DSLR is capable of, other DSLR upgraders (ignoring old farts like me who went directly from film SLR) come directly from either simple small P&S cameras, from bridge/super zoom cameras or from the "super compact zoom cameras" (e.g. Panasonic TZ-series).
03-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #41

I'm sure there must be some marketing sense in launching a bridge camera. If it works well for Pentax, so be it. Atleast it assures me that if they earn some good money, there could be promising developments towards FF or MF.

Is that an AF assist lamp in the front ? If it is, certainly it's a positive step..

Cheers
Nish
03-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I totally, Agree.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
I think this is actually a better move than a new DSLR

*ducks to avoid incoming flames*

Think about it.

In this economy, people will want to spend less and less, and so those who may have been looking at an entry level DSLR a year ago will probably look at something a bit less expensive, but still at least percieved to be offering comparable picture quality. A cheaper but capable bridge cam makes sense.

Think about it.

And it gets the Pentax name out too. When those people start shopping for their new bridge, and they hear about this 'Pentax', they'll be interested (assuming that they haven't heard of Pentax much, etc) and maybe buy. And when they buy it, when they're ready to move up to a DSLR (better economy, say) they'll probably buy Pentax. Which means more market share, more money for Pentax, more new DSLR models.

Think about it.

I bet we'll have our new DSLR in time. I bet 2009 will not pass without a new higher-end (at LEAST K20D, maybe pro) Pentax DSLR. I'm sure of it, so just hang on, be patient, and try to forgive Pentax for not announcing a DSLR at every stinking photo event. That's just not possible.

But this bridge makes sense to me and may yet prove to be a good idea.

Give it some time, and think about it.
In fact much of what you said was my first thought.

Does it have raw? If it did it would stand more of a chance to make an impression against Panasonic, Canon, and Sony.

C
03-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #43

well hopefully they will be coming out with more than just this.
Hopefully there is still a K30D in there someplace.
There is, in the none-too-distant future. There has to be.
03-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerhard Quote
One thing is for sure:

The Nik0n P90 has a bigger (3") display which can be tilted up and down.
Everything else seems to be exactly the same.

If it will be sold at the same price, who should buy the Pentax X70 ?
Yeah -- the Nikon P90, Pentax X70 and Kodak Z980 appear to share the same sensor and lens. It's pretty telling that if you look closely there are three letters missing from the picture of the Pentax X70... That's a "Pentax lens", not an "SMC Pentax lens". So most likely, not a Pentax lens at all (nor a "Nikkor", nor a "Schneider-Kreuznach")
03-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bnishanth Quote
I'm sure there must be some marketing sense in launching a bridge camera.
Pentax & marketing sense?
QuoteOriginally posted by bnishanth Quote
Atleast it assures me that if they earn some good money, there could be promising developments towards FF or MF.
Either that, or more superzooms. Between those, I think more superzooms is the likely result.