Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #46
Veteran Member

So how is Pentax, with its limited reach at retail outlets (at least in the USA), going to make serious money selling a camera that's much like everyone else's?

I'm holding out a bit of hope for a camera/system that's different (and better) enough that the retailers will turn again to Pentax.

No retailer wants to stock up on slow-selling gear when times are tough and credit to buy inventory is hard to get. That's when the product lines get pruned.

I hear snipping ....

03-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From DPr we’re told that the sensor is APS-C size in the Samsung model. If the lens accompanying this camera is up for it, then it is almost too good to be true.

11 fps, I would love something like this in a K3 top DSLR cam

26 – 600 mm, with Aperture F2.8 - F5.0.
ISO 50 and super-high ISO 6400.
And the Samsung model is seriously compact :

It sounds a little too promising, but then this is the rumour subforum.

What we know for sure, is that the Samsung bridge cam, is a big sensor. Same size as in the DSLRs, but much smaller form factor.
Samsung unveils new NX series camera system: Digital Photography Review
This is genius of Ned, first create a stir, and now have a competitor in the segment

If the Pentax model is indeed small sensor, then it could just to be a way to move forward; leaving P&S segment behind, (except for few models). But then I don't think this camera will have much interest for me.

Last edited by Buddha Jones; 03-03-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: USE THE WIDE!!!
03-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
If you need a president of any brand to show what you have to buy there's a problem somewhere IMO.
This is exactly right. This is why I will never buy a ''pentax'' point and shoot. If they are not good enough for the president of Pentax, then they are not good enough for me. I will gladly stick with my Canon and Fuji point and shoots.
03-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
There is, in the none-too-distant future. There has to be.
I hope so!.

03-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #50
Inactive Account

The new Pentax Bridge not only seems to share the lens with nikon but also with the funny new Kodak with that additonal Portrait-Grip. So in fact it seems to be simply a me-too-Product, bougt cheaply in China. Can't be a big misstake, for it's no big invest.

The new Samsung EVIL on the other Hand is no good news for K-Mount-users like us. There is no indication, that it should support K-Mount-Lenses in any way (and I don't think, it ever will). Looks defitively like the end of the Samsung-Pentax-Cooperation. If not instantly, then in the near future.
03-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #51

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The X70 may have been developed for the Walmart shopper. It well look nice on isle 5 As a fuji 6900 owner I feel they are a little late to the market for those stepping out of film.
03-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #52
Pentaxian

First thing I noticed was the lamp on the front - hopefully to help AF and hopefully to be included on any new DSLRs.

03-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
can some one please explain or are you all as confuse as I am.
One of the many joys of being a Pentaxian. Welcome!
03-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Yup, this X70 looks to be a rebadge. I thought they might offer something to differentiate it (weather-sealing, *wink* *wink*). But I won't lose too much sleep over it. Even other manufacturers release ho-hum models if they think it'll sell and help the bottom line. I certainly wouldn't denigrate Pentax just for this, same as how I don't denigrate Nikon for making Coolpixes that also don't sell as much.

Early returns so far from PMA, at least for me, show Olympus generating the most buzz for the E-620, followed by Canon with their tilt-shift lenses and the waterproof D10 (I'd like to think of it as an Olympus mju minus the xD card, replaced with SD ).
03-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #55
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
This is genius of Ned, first create a stir, and now have a competitor in the segment
This, I didn't understand. What's the connection b'twn Ned & Samsung's new micro-4/3rds plans?
03-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, that new samsung cam (the NX) looks great. I might be in line for one if it is weatherproof and the EV is decent. Oly, eat your heart out with the µ4/3's!

<Rant follows>
As for the 2.33". For goodness sake. Get some of the S10 compact 1.67" sensors. Absolute bollocks. Screw the zoom range and give us a bridge camera with a G6 style F2.0 lens wide open and limit at 3.5 at the zoom range (200mm or so).
Very, very disappointed.
03-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #57
Veteran Member

What happened to rugged and weather sealed?

The X70 appears to be an OK camera and I hope it sells well, however I remember Pentax saying they were going to differentiate themselves by creating rugged weather sealed cameras at good value. So now we have the K2000 and X70, neither of which have weather sealing. I'm not sure what happened to the vision and I don't see anything that really stands out with the X70 that would steer me into buying one over the competition.

Of course the things that differentiate a camera may end up pushing the price point beyond what they think the current market would accept.
03-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
This is exactly right. This is why I will never buy a ''pentax'' point and shoot. If they are not good enough for the president of Pentax, then they are not good enough for me. I will gladly stick with my Canon and Fuji point and shoots.
That's pretty silly. Leica's bigger-sensor point and shoot is nothing like the megazoom teeny-sensor bridge camera, anyway. Nor with an EVF interchangeable lens mini-SLR-ish thing.

As for the cooperation thing, well, I suppose we'll see. Certainly that unlabeled lens looks... Kind of "limitedish' if you know what I mean.

Anyway, there's no reason to panic about an EVF camera you'd need to stick an adapter on and make effectively as big as a K-M to use a K-mount lens on *anyway* ...not being a K-mount. Some rather basic laws of physics dictate you *can't* use an SLR lens on such a camera without making the lens fit up further away, *anyway.*
03-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #59
Inactive Account

A previous poster suggested that creating a bridge camera may be a good move for Pentax as there is a market for superzooms, but if Pentax wants to compete in the superzoom arena, they should have have included an articulating lcd screen. What's the point of being able to record video and having live view if you don't have an articulating screen? Also, IMHO Pentax should have also added a hot-shoe. Prior to buying my white Pentax K-m, I had a Canon S5 and man it was a truly versatile. I miss the camera (sold it), but I wanted something with better low-light performance and so I got a dslr. It seems Pentax is one step behind the competition. I know a lot of people on this forum are eagerly awaiting a FF dslr. I doubt I will ever buy a FF as I'm just a hobbyist, but it's nice to have options. However, I love my K-m and enjoying it immensely. Now if only I could take some pictures that are good enough to post. Must work on my technique.
03-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner0427 Quote
A previous poster suggested that creating a bridge camera may be a good move for Pentax as there is a market for superzooms, but if Pentax wants to compete in the superzoom arena, they should have have included an articulating lcd screen. What's the point of being able to record video and having live view if you don't have an articulating screen?
Never really missed it. My lil Lumix had a high-angle feature that pretty much covered my needs, without moisture-vulnerable case penetrations, extra bulk, expense that could probably have gone to something else, like a control, or hinges to break. With bridge cameras in general, you want to be using the EVF for the long lens stuff that distinguishes them to most consumers, anyway.

Just cause it may have been used to kind of string the DSLR crowd along with promises of a 'new release' doesn't mean a bridge camera basically does the same sort fof thing, does the same sort of thing, does the same sort of thing, subject to certain laws of physics.

They're all pretty impressive in those ways, but obviously this isn't a model Pentax is putting forth with big fanfare saying 'Look what we can do!'

Their first word in bridges, maybe it'll do all the stuff bridge cameras can do, nice and well, (Remember 'Doing the basics well?') Maybe it's some marketing thing to keep in the market.

It's not like discriminating photogs need to be wedded to a bridge camera as a system, should this type even be a concern.

(edit) Though, they really could have put the O-rings in. Such you put a tube over the lens, screw a filter on, baddabing: Not even a lens mount to worry about, you just gasket over the buttons and o-ring the doors and you're about there.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-02-2009 at 11:19 PM.