Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax X70 - full specs and image!

Versatile optical 24X zoom lens to accommodate a range of subjects
Within its compact, lightweight body, the X70 features a high-magnification optical 24-times zoom lens offering a focal-length coverage between 26mm wide angle to 624mm super telephoto (in the 35mm format). Coupled with the Intelligent Zoom function, the X70’s zoom range can be extended to approximately 150 times (for a focal length of an astonishing approximately 3900mm in the 35mm format) without compromising the optical performance of the zoom lens.

Reliable shake-reduction system for sharp, blur-free images
The X70 incorporates image-sensor-shift-type SR (Shake Reduction) system to assure sharply focused, blur-free images even under demanding photographic conditions prone to camera shake, such as when using a telephoto lens or when shooting a sunset or indoor scene using only incident light. By accurately detecting the amount of camera shake using a high-performance gyro sensor and shifting the CCD image sensor vertically and horizontally at high speed, the X70 offers an outstanding camera-shake compensation effect, equivalent to approximately three shutter steps.

High-speed continuous shooting to capture the decisive moment
The X70 lets the photographer capture the subject continuously at a maximum speed of approximately 11 images per second, and up to 21 images in succession.* Coupled with the Auto-Tracking AF mode that keeps a fast-moving subject in focus all the time, the X70 captures once-in-a-lifetime, decisive moments in sharp focus, even when the subject is an active child or unpredictable pet.

* When the continuous-shooting mode is selected, the image size is fixed at 5M (2592 x 1944 pixels).

High image quality
Thanks to the combination of approximately 12.0 megapixels, a high-performance imaging engine, and the high-quality PENTAX zoom lens, the X70 delivers super-clear, high-quality images. It even allows the photographer to choose the preferred finishing touch — Bright, Natural or Monochrome.

Movie shooting in high-definition TV image quality and with anti-shake protection
The X70 captures high-quality movie clips, equivalent in image quality to that of high-definition TV (1280 x 720 pixels). It also features the Movie SR mode,*** which effectively minimizes annoying camera shake during movie shooting through the use of exclusive software. As a result, the photographer enjoys high-quality, blur-free movie shooting with minimal effort.

** When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.

Multi-mode exposure system to accommodate different applications
The X70 offers a choice of four exposure modes: Programmed AE, in which the camera automatically selects the optimal combination of aperture and shutter speed for a given subject; and Aperture-Priority AE, Shutter-Priority AE and Metered Manual modes, in which photographers are free to select either or both aperture and shutter speed to express their creative intentions and personal touches.

Auto Picture mode for the automatic selection of seven different shooting modes
The X70 features the advanced Auto Picture mode, which automatically selects the most appropriate shooting mode for a given subject or scene by detecting the subject’s lighting and other conditions. This user-friendly mode not only makes the right mode choice for the photographer (from Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait, Flower, Sport and Standard modes), but also features an auto macro mode, which automatically switches the camera’s focus range to macro in close-range applications.

Super-fast Face Recognition AF&AE function to capture up to 32 faces in focus in approx. 0.03 seconds
The X70’s Face Recognition AF&AE function comes extremely handy for taking casual snapshots of people. It optimizes the focusing and exposure status of the subject — up to 32 faces in a single image — in approximately 0.03 seconds. The X70 also offers other user-friendly functions: a Smile Capture function that automatically releases the shutter the instant it detects the subject’s smile; and a Blinking Detection function that warns the photographer when the subject’s eyes close at the time of shutter release.

Auto sensitivity control, up to a super-high ISO 6400
The X70 comes equipped with an auto sensitivity control function, which automatically shifts the sensitivity level in relation to the subject’s lighting condition and the lens focal-length setting. This allows the photographer to use a high shutter speed in dimly lit locations, such as night scenes or indoor sports events, to effectively minimize camera shake and subject shake. The auto sensitivity control range can be set randomly between ISO 50 and super-high ISO 6400.

Large, easy-to-view 2.7-inch color LCD monitor
Despite its compact dimensions, the X70 features a large 2.7-inch high-brightness color LCD monitor with approximately 230,000 dots. Thanks to the AR (Anti-Reflection) coating, sunlight reflections are held to a minimum for comfortable outdoor viewing. The X70 also comes with an electronic viewfinder, which comes handy when shooting against intense backlight or when the photographer needs firmer grip of the camera.

Other features
1. Choice of image format, from proportions of 4:3, 3:2, 16:9 or 1:1
2. Shooting mode palette for easy selection of the most appropriate shooting mode from 20 different shooting modes, including a new Baby mode programmed to capture the healthy, lively face of a baby
3. Overexposure compensation function to prevent white-washed highlight areas
4. 1cm Macro mode can be used as close as one centimeter away from a subject for stunning close-up shots
5. Digital Wide function to composite one extra-wide-angle image (equivalent to an image taken with an approx. 20mm lens in 35mm format) from two images
6. World-time clock to display standard time in 75 cities in 28 time zones around the world, for an extra convenience on the road
7. Frame Composite function (with 90 frames stored in the camera) to shoot or compose images with decorative photo frames
8. Approx. 33.6MB built-in memory
9. Red-eye reduction function to correct annoying red eyes in recorded images during playback

Cytat:
Specifications
Number of Effective pixels approx. 12 megapixels
Image Sensor 1/2.33" CCD
Number of Recorded pixels Still 12M, 3:2, 16:9, 1:1, 7M, 5M, 3M, 1024, 640
Movie 1280, 848, 640, 320
Sensitivity (Standard Output Sensitivity) Auto, Fixed (ISO 50 - 6400)
Motion Blur Reduction Still CCD-Shift-Type (SR : Shake Reduction)
Hi-sensitivity anti-shake mode (Digital SR)
Movie Movie shake reduction mode (Movie SR)
Face recognition Face recognition AF&AE is available at all mode. 32 people at most.
Smile Capture. Blinking Detection.
Storage Media Built-in Memory (approx. 33.6MB), SD/SDHC Memory Card
White Balance Auto, Daylight, Shade, Tungsten light, Fluorescent light (W, D, N), Manual setting
Lens PENTAX zoom lens, 14 elements in 11 groups (4 aspherical elements, 3 ED elements)
Focal Length 4.6 - 110.4mm (approx. 26 - 624mm in 35mm format)
Aperture F2.8 (W) - F5.0 (T)
Zoom Optiocal Zoom 24X
Digital Zoom approx. 6.25X
Intelligent Zoom approx. 31.3X at 7M, approx. 150X at 640 (including optical zoom)
Display 2.7"LCD , approx. 230K dots, AR coating
Viewfinder Electronic Viewfinder, approx. 200K dots
Focus Type 9-point AF, Spot AF, Auto tracking AF
Focus Range
(From lense face) Standard: 0.4m - Infinity (at wide setting), 1.7m - Infinity (at tele setting), 1.31 ft. - Infinity (at wide setting), 5.6 ft. - Infinity (at tele setting)
Macro: 0.1 - 0.5m (middle zoom position), 0.33 - 1.64 ft. (middle zoom position)
1cm Macro: 0.01 - 0.3m (middle zoom position), 0.03 - 0.98 ft. (middle zoom position)
Infinity-landscape, Manual Focus, AF Point switching: available
Exposure Control Metering System Multi-segment metering, Center-weighted metering, Spot metering
Exposure Compensation ±2EV (1/3EV steps)
Scene mode Auto Picture, Sport, Digital SR, Movie, USER, Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Program, SCN(Landscape, Flower, Portrait, Backlight, Half-length Portrait, Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait, Stage Lighting, Surf & Snow, Baby, Kids, Pet, Food, Fireworks, Frame Composite, Party, Museum, Sunset, Digital Wide, Digital Panorama), Green
Playback modes Slideshow, Digital Filter(Color Filter(11 kinds), Soft Filter, Fisheye Filter, Brightness Filter), Frame Composite, Resize, Cropping, Image/Sound Copy, Image Rotation, Movie Edit, Red-eye Compensation, Voice Memo, Protect, DPOF, Image Recovery, Start-up Screen, Face close-up playback
Shutter Speed 1/4000 - 1/4 sec. 4 sec at most (Tv, Av, M, Night Scene mode setting)
Built-in flash Modes Flash-on and Flash-off modes. "Red-eye" reduction function employs a pre-discharge. Low-speed synchro, Low-speed synchro + Red-eye
Flash Range Wide: approx. 0.2 - 9.1m (ISO Auto), approx. 0.66 - 29.9 ft. (ISO Auto)
Tele: approx. 1.7 - 5.1m (ISO Auto), approx. 5.6 - 16.7 ft. (ISO Auto)
Drive Modes One shot, Continuous Shooting (L/M/H), Self-timer, 2 sec Self-timer, Interval Shooting, Auto Bracket
Power Source Rechargeable D-LI92 lithium-ion battery, Optional AC adapter kit is also available
Battery life Still*: Approx. 170 shots (Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery)
Playback**: Approx. 200 min. (Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery)
Interfaces USB2.0 (Hi-Speed), AV terminal, DC Input terminal
Dimensions approx. 110.5 (W) × 82.5 (H) × 89.5 (D)mm (excluding the operation parts and protrusion.)
approx. 4.4 (W) × 3.2 (H) × 3.9 (D) inches (excluding the operation parts and protrusion. )
Weight Body approx. 390g (without battery and SD memory card)
approx. 13.8 oz.
With battery & SD card approx. 410g (loaded and ready)
approx. 14.5 oz.

03-02-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One more mediocrity in the line of mediocrities.
03-02-2009, 06:31 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
One more mediocrity in the line of mediocrities.
Apparently you missed the killer-feature:
"It even allows the photographer to choose the preferred finishing touch — Bright, Natural or Monochrome."

03-02-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
Image Sensor 1/2.33" CCD
i appreciate the update, but really, this is all that needs to be said unfortunately
i don't think this will make our buddy Ned "switch" from his LX-3/DL-4

03-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

And to think I passed on the K20D £100 rebate for this .....
03-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is even better than the white K20D I was expecting!
03-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
ogl
Banned

Samsung will make us happy!

03-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #8

I think this is actually a better move than a new DSLR

*ducks to avoid incoming flames*

Think about it.

In this economy, people will want to spend less and less, and so those who may have been looking at an entry level DSLR a year ago will probably look at something a bit less expensive, but still at least percieved to be offering comparable picture quality. A cheaper but capable bridge cam makes sense.

Think about it.

And it gets the Pentax name out too. When those people start shopping for their new bridge, and they hear about this 'Pentax', they'll be interested (assuming that they haven't heard of Pentax much, etc) and maybe buy. And when they buy it, when they're ready to move up to a DSLR (better economy, say) they'll probably buy Pentax. Which means more market share, more money for Pentax, more new DSLR models.

Think about it.

I bet we'll have our new DSLR in time. I bet 2009 will not pass without a new higher-end (at LEAST K20D, maybe pro) Pentax DSLR. I'm sure of it, so just hang on, be patient, and try to forgive Pentax for not announcing a DSLR at every stinking photo event. That's just not possible.

But this bridge makes sense to me and may yet prove to be a good idea.

Give it some time, and think about it.
03-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote

and to think I passed on a 5D for this.................. maybe i still have the guys number.
03-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
In this economy, people will want to spend less and less, and so those who may have been looking at an entry level DSLR a year ago will probably look at something a bit less expensive, but still at least percieved to be offering comparable picture quality. A cheaper but capable bridge cam makes sense.

Think about it.

And it gets the Pentax name out too. When those people start shopping for their new bridge, and they hear about this 'Pentax', they'll be interested (assuming that they haven't heard of Pentax much, etc) and maybe buy. And when they buy it, when they're ready to move up to a DSLR (better economy, say) they'll probably buy Pentax. Which means more market share, more money for Pentax, more new DSLR models.
The problem is that there are already at least two other bridge cameras with the exact same sensor & lens, from arguably better know names: Nikon (Coolpix P90) & Kodak (Easyshare Z980). We need to wait for the official release to be sure, but so far it looks like the Pentax has nothing much to differentiate it from its clones (it does not even seem to have the articulated back LCD, and there is not mention of weather-sealing in the leaked litteratute).

We'll see, but I'm not impressed so far.
03-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
and to think I passed on a 5D for this.................. maybe i still have the guys number.

And to think I sold my family into slavery to fund the purchase of impending K30D with a rumored FF sensor (8FPS) and a slider-switch to change it to Medium Format (6FPS)!!! I wonder if I can still file a missing person's report with no hard feelings!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
I think this is actually a better move than a new DSLR

*ducks to avoid incoming flames*

Think about it.

Think about it.

Think about it.

I bet we'll have our new DSLR in time. I bet 2009 will not pass without a new higher-end (at LEAST K20D, maybe pro) Pentax DSLR. I'm sure of it, so just hang on, be patient, and try to forgive Pentax for not announcing a DSLR at every stinking photo event. That's just not possible.

But this bridge makes sense to me and may yet prove to be a good idea.

Give it some time, and think about it.

Stop making me think about it!!!

Last edited by jsherman999; 03-02-2009 at 07:21 AM.
03-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Stop making me think about it!!!
Why? It doesn't seem to me that anyone else is...
03-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Image Sensor 1/2.33" CCD
why not 1/2.5"
03-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #14

One thing is for sure:

The Nik0n P90 has a bigger (3") display which can be tilted up and down.
Everything else seems to be exactly the same.

If it will be sold at the same price, who should buy the Pentax X70 ?

Last edited by Gerhard; 03-02-2009 at 07:53 AM.
03-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The price seems to be aet at $400... I personally was hoping for something more in the lines of a Nikon 6000 or Canon G10. As well as something to compete with Ned's new favorite P&S... oh well. I hope that there is still more to come because this is sort of a let down.