Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crud, I was hoping to see a DA* 30/1.4 or something like it. Not that I'd buy one NOW but that'd be an awesome lens.

03-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
They do have a replacement: the DA★ 50-135mm.
That is one thing that really bugs me.. is that they replaced some old lenses with equivalent FOV ones when I care more about the magnification.

The other thing is that a 70-200 is very useful for sports and the 50-135 by all accounts is one of the slower focusing lenses making it less then ideal. So for me they missed on not only the focal length but the focusing speed.

Back to the roadmap.. not having the TC on the roadmap is very disappointing. I feel lucky that I have a Kenko TC that works with SDM but I was really hoping for a weather sealed version that maybe registered the new focal length back to the body.

John
03-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I wonder, perhaps, if there's a technical reason for that, which made the development of such a thing not seem feasible right now. No one else seems to have pulled it off very well, after all. (presuming we're talking about a 1.4 or something) Or if they're just not messing with us. .
I doubt there's a technical reason -- Canon's had their full frame 35/1.4L for quite a while, and Sigma their 30/1.4. Both are nice performers.
03-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I doubt there's a technical reason -- Canon's had their full frame 35/1.4L for quite a while, and Sigma their 30/1.4. Both are nice performers.
Well, I'd heard differently about the Sigma, ...if you don't mind little details like, Lack of corner-to-corner sharpness and general underwhelmingness is all I've heard, though it's nice wide open in just the center. Could be a handy thing, but it's still not what I'd call a top-flight normal lens. The L-series... Nice, but if I had that kind of money *I'd* be shooting full frame. What's that run?

(*checking* Yeah, that's a beast up there in 1200 dollar territory. Some problems, of course, money and bulk can solve, though that's nothing new. )

Pentax *could,* I figure, though, reissue the 35 f/2 in a new skin, and baddabing, have a real nice 'normal' where until recently Nikon had a huge gap in their lines for people not pulling in the big paychecks. (or wanting to lug around big lenses just to have the speed.)

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-02-2009 at 02:47 PM.
03-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
And no fast standard lens?
Sheesh, I want some of what they are smoking.
My thinking as well: what is clearly missing is a fast standard lens. I wish they make something like DA 33/1.7. That is, a "regular" DA (like DA 14/2.8) not a Limited or a "Star" DA. Just one good fast normal for the masses @ ~$200 comparable to good old 50/1.7, and I'll be first in line to get one!
03-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
My thinking as well: what is clearly missing is a fast standard lens. I wish they make something like DA 33/1.7. That is, a "regular" DA (like DA 14/2.8) not a Limited or a "Star" DA. Just one good fast normal for the masses @ ~$200 comparable to good old 50/1.7, and I'll be first in line to get one!
Like Nikon's new lens, yeah.

Ideally, there'd be both the non-★ and the ★ version.
03-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
I second that, but as my fav lady on this forum just pointed out, a FA35/2 in new skin would be good enough.

Also very necessary if they are going to continue the weather/dust-protection-outdoor-niching, they need an affordable weatherproofed normal range zoom to put on the K20D/K200D and their successors. Seriously. Everyone can't buy the DA*16-50/2.8. Weatherseal the DA18-55 and the DA50-200!

03-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd like an explanation for the box in the lower right that says:

DA Super Telephoto
03-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, I'd heard differently about the Sigma, ...if you don't mind little details like, Lack of corner-to-corner sharpness and general underwhelmingness is all I've heard, though it's nice wide open in just the center.
Well, coming from somebody who's actually owned one I'd beg to differ. It's an excellent lens (assuming you get a good copy, and that's a QC issue rather than a design one). It's wicked sharp wide open and while the corners aren't tack sharp neither will they be in focus due to the very very shallow depth of field. Stopped down for normal picture taking it's just fine everywhere. In other words, it's "deficiencies" are such that they'd really only show up in res tests. If shooting newspapers or doing copy work wide open is your thing, sure, it probably isn't for you. For everyday use it makes for a wonderful "normal" on crop sensor cameras however.

QuoteQuote:
Could be a handy thing, but it's still not what I'd call a top-flight normal lens. The L-series... Nice, but if I had that kind of money *I'd* be shooting full frame. What's that run?
Around $1200. Not cheap, but the Pentax 31/1.8 is $800 and 2/3 stop slower.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax *could,* I figure, though, reissue the 35 f/2 in a new skin, and baddabing, have a real nice 'normal' where until recently Nikon had a huge gap in their lines for people not pulling in the big paychecks. (or wanting to lug around big lenses just to have the speed.)
Anything in particular wrong with the Nikon 35/2? Granted, the cheaper D40/D40x/D60 bodies do not autofocus it, but any serious hobbyist would most likely pick up a used D50/D70/D100 instead.
03-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Believe me NOW....?

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Cool. No DA*30, no TC and no any news about supertele
What did you expect? A pro camera in this market...we'll be lucky if there's not ANOTHER buyout, this time of Hoya itself...

These are tough times - Pentax is NOT in a good postition right now...

Cameron
03-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #41
RaduA

Anything in particular wrong with the Nikon 35/2? Granted, the cheaper D40/D40x/D60 bodies do not autofocus it, but any serious hobbyist would most likely pick up a used D50/D70/D100 instead.
Actually besides being f1.8 instead of f2 and having internal motor so any N body will AF with it I don't see something wrong with this lens. Especially if one has also a camera to put it on

Radu
03-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Actually besides being f1.8 instead of f2 and having internal motor so any N body will AF with it I don't see something wrong with this lens. Especially if one has also a camera to put it on

Radu
Not sure if you're joking, but I was referring to the older 35/2 which has been around for a while.
03-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
What did you expect? A pro camera in this market...we'll be lucky if there's not ANOTHER buyout, this time of Hoya itself...
And in those difficult times who can afford to buy Hoya?

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!
Ridiculous. But, what can I expect?
03-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #44
RaduA

Not sure if you're joking, but I was referring to the older 35/2 which has been around for a while.
Sorry, I misunderstood the context of what you said! IMO a revised FA35/2 is desirable instead of putting money and time in another completely new design which will interfere also with DA35/2.8 Macro

Radu
03-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #45
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote

These are tough times - Pentax is NOT in a good postition right now...

Cameron
Why the sorrow, Cameron? Aren't you the one who insisted for a Pentax superzoom in the first place? Oh, yes now I remember you wanted a WHITE one didn't you?

In a more serious note though Hoya's behavior at this PMA could be a very strong indicator for the future. If they continue to shut down any communication then people will sooner or latter fear that they have nothing to show for. I HOPE that they will show something good at least under glass and engage the Pentaxian community with some real hints about their strategy. I emphasis this: it's illogical to ask them for products that are competing with the current range thus jeopardizing sales but it's IMO at least as illogical for them not to show the higher end stuff that anyway will be priced way over K20D. And something else seems obvious from the last 6 months actions: Hoya put all their efforts in the entry level zone in hope of attracting new people into K mount system. So the ones that hope "a full frame camera to go with my 30 years lens" I guess will have a rude awakening from Hoya. They kind of need you to buy some new stuff I am affraid!

Radu