Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think they are still collaborating. Look at the little things comparing the X70 with the NX. The mode knob is very similar, the power switch is similar, the focus-assist lamp is similar. These are all new things to both company's cameras and yet they designed them separately? As far as the lens goes, that's a very small front element regardless of the focal length. Remember we're still talking about DX and not 4/3rds. I've got a P&S pocket size (1/2.33 sensor) with a front element bigger than that and it has an equivalent focal length of 24mm. If it truly is a lens, it's got to be as slow as X-Mas. If you've got a teleconverter, pull it out and look at it - it's very similar to what is on the front of the NX less the contacts. I think it's an optical converter to mount a current lens line shown without the contacts.

03-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #77

I don't know if it has been posted, but here there are some more pictures with also zoom lenses:

Samsung NX : APS-C, objectif interchangeable, visée électronique - Focus Numérique

The camera will be available in black, silver and red colors.

The article is alledging the end of the marriage between Pentax and Samsung as far as concerning this camera.

The lenses *seems* not to be a K-mount or at least not Pentax made since they have optical stabilization switches (and so far as I know Pentax does not have any experience in optical stabilized lenses)... who knows if there will be adapter to fit K-mount lenses...

...again, I feel this PMA has been a disappointment, being Sigma's news the most interesting for Pentax users (well, DA15 is nice but it has been announced a while ago)

Last edited by soalle; 03-03-2009 at 09:00 AM.
03-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Looking at the news at DPReview and the picture of the NX's mounted with zooms on them makes me wonder if they haven't made a deal with Sigma. The design is very Sigma looking and the fact that they're releasing four lenses that are HSM and OIS for most major brands makes me wonder. This could be a departure while keeping the K mount only in SDM and leaving them with an option for an adapter for legacy glass.
03-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #79

you're right... they are Sigma-like...

... well, I hope the camera will mount Pentax lenses though... I might think to sell my Pentax camera to get this one if it has a good IQ, a good viewfinder and if Pentax will not come out with anything interesting soon...

03-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soalle Quote
you're right... they are Sigma-like...

... well, I hope the camera will mount Pentax lenses though... I might think to sell my Pentax camera to get this one if it has a good IQ, a good viewfinder and if Pentax will not come out with anything interesting soon...
I'm curious why you wouldn't just get a K20d. The IQ of the K20d will likely be better, and you'll have a proper viewfinder. Is it a size thing?
03-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #81

Yep... basically size, with pro and cons that comes with it... and plus I don't mind having video capability. I mean I wouldn't base my choice on this, but if it has also video, it does not hurt. I guess I would trade weather sealing, but anyhow I don't have any weather sealed lens (too expensive for me as of now)
03-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #82

An extract from August 2008 Samsung Techwin Executive Vice President interview:

"Samsung will introduce a new hybrid system that will be small and light like a bridge type camera, but with interchangeable Samsung-made lenses"

later in the text:

"We have extensive experience in lens manufacturing from other areas of Samsung's business, as well as from our compact camera ranges, and we have been manufacturing camera bodies since the 1970's, so these will not be new areas for us to deal with."

The original interview:
New interchangeable lens system compact digital camera system on the way news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

too too too bad for K-mount and Pentax users...

03-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #83

Live pictures of the NX:

Samsung: PMA 2009 Show Report: Digital Photography Review
03-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #84

IMO, the red one looks ugly with a black lens with blue stripe. And are they saving the white version for a Pentax-branded version?
03-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Hybrid Camera
NX
Innovation makes you perfect

Where did those Korean marketing guys learn English? At a Korean elementary school? Bank managers aren't the only ones being overpaid...
03-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #86
Veteran Member

If OS lenses are from Sigma, the Samsung may still may use a Pentax mount. Would that explain why we see stabilized lenses from Sigma for a (reportedly) Pentax camera that's already stablized?
03-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Fifth, because the register distance is smaller and it has 15MP, the prime lens in new mount will be 21mm.
I have to quote myself

According to dpr: 25mm. So, my "5th"guess was pretty close ...
03-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Samsung NX mount specification

I found a source about the mount specification:

1. Sensor size standard: 20.7x13.8 mm
2. First product sensor: APS-C sized CCD (IMHO: probably the 14.6 CMOS)
3. Mount: µFT (Micro-FourThirds)
(4. Display: 3 inch)

[Source: Technische Daten (Datenblatt) | dkamera.de]

Last edited by falconeye; 03-03-2009 at 05:23 PM.
03-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #89
Veteran Member

does FourThirds lenses cover APS-C sensor size? aren't they all designed for smaller coverage of 2× crop-sized sensor, thus vignetting on bigger sensors?
03-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
Looking at the news at DPReview and the picture of the NX's mounted with zooms on them makes me wonder if they haven't made a deal with Sigma. The design is very Sigma looking and the fact that they're releasing four lenses that are HSM and OIS for most major brands makes me wonder. This could be a departure while keeping the K mount only in SDM and leaving them with an option for an adapter for legacy glass.
Partnering with Sigma, eh? That'd be interesting, if that is the case. Samsung knows electronics and Sigma knows optics. Possible that Pentax was totally left out of the equation. Or perhaps Samsung talked to Pentax about doing this, but the latter wasn't interested, hence the need to partner with Sigma and was forced to go in-lens stabilization since Pentax owns the patent to SR tech. Quite a conspiracy theory there.

QuoteOriginally posted by soalle Quote
The lenses *seems* not to be a K-mount or at least not Pentax made since they have optical stabilization switches (and so far as I know Pentax does not have any experience in optical stabilized lenses)... who knows if there will be adapter to fit K-mount lenses...
As long as the register distance is suitable, there would be third-party adapters to fit lenses from other mounts. If it would retain AF and auto-aperture is another story.

Last edited by vinzer; 03-03-2009 at 06:48 PM.