Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I can imagine a final scene, but watching someone like Bob Ross take a blank canvas and make a spectacular landscape from it is jaw-dropping to me.

Happy Trees ftw

03-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I REMEMBER THAT GUY!!

OMG THAT WAS SO LONG AGO!!!

my mom used to watch him and take notes from him, it was pretty rad watching him work.
03-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Yeah, I got carried away. All this has been said before. Next time I'll keep my hammers to myself.
my comment was made more of in in general, in jest, and tongue in cheek response to the OP and our fun with this topic.

Hammers away!

Jason
03-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
my comment was made more of in in general, in jest, and tongue in cheek response to the OP and our fun with this topic.

Hammers away!

Jason
fun? FUN?!?!?

This is LIFE AND DEATH!!! If I don't get a FF Pentax it will be a tragedy of EPIC proportions. Picture the TItanic running into the Hidenburg over Hiroshima. We're talking EPIC!!!

03-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
kenyee............ i actually spent $800 last week on more glass for the pentax, so still heavily invested in pentax gear...
Doesn't hurt to run dual systems. If I were doing paid work, I'd get a D700 just for the thin DOF artistic shots, and that ultra-sharp 24-70. That setup would run you probably a little less than what you have saved up...maybe $3.5-4K. Keep your Pentax gear for what you think it does best.
03-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
in a country where anyone can own a gun,
Don't be so condescending. It's not *anyone*...no felons and you need to be licensed after passing various fingerprinted background checks. If you truly knew the hoops we have to jump through, you'd know better. Don't make general statements w/o knowing all the facts or well, you know what they say about people who ASSUME

Learning how to target shoot also helps get you steadier shots w/ your DSLR. There's a lot more to it than the crap you see in movies of people idiotically holding guns sideways and blasting away and magically hitting their targets they're not even pointing at
03-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #52
Site Supporter

If there are no other announcements of new Pentax cameras at PMA, all it means is that we continue in suspense (surprise, surprise). After all, there were supposed to be three DSLRs introduced this year according to a previous statement made by Hoya. If nothing has changed (a fairly big if considering the state of the economy), then apparently at least one of these will be an 'incremental update,' but beyond that, we still won't know anything.

Either way, I get to keep shooting my K10D. I may decide to pick up a K20D in the meantime, and I'll almost certainly pick up a lens or two (or five), but I will still have fun shooting the stuff I have.
03-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Don't be so condescending. It's not *anyone*...no felons and you need to be licensed after passing various fingerprinted background checks. If you truly knew the hoops we have to jump through, you'd know better. Don't make general statements w/o knowing all the facts or well, you know what they say about people who ASSUME

Learning how to target shoot also helps get you steadier shots w/ your DSLR. There's a lot more to it than the crap you see in movies of people idiotically holding guns sideways and blasting away and magically hitting their targets they're not even pointing at
read into Canadian gun ownership and usage, you'll think that by comparison you guys get it off the back of cereal boxes.

in a nutshell, unless you are at a shooting range, the only people you will meet that carry loaded weapons of any kind are cops and criminals

all weapon storage is done under lock and key with bullets seperated from weapon, regardless of type

all weapon transportation is done with the weapon unloaded, with a call to your designated officer, letting him know which gun you are transporting, where to and with how many bullets, and for how long.

if you are found with a loaded gun on the street, you are ****ed

if you are seen with a gun in a public area, chances are someone called the police and you'll be approached within 20 minutes

i will admit that i'm not well versed in American gun law, but i like to assume that its much more lax than the above.

Last edited by Gooshin; 03-02-2009 at 03:27 PM.
03-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
2Mar09 - Las Vegas, NV

This just in from PMA - Pentax announces that no matter what they show at PMA, current model cameras will continue to function. This message comes as a shock to many Pentax faithful who were hoping for the announcement of a FF/MF/APS-C/H-hybrid-15fps-HyperAF-39mp-for-$500 camera. Many of those customers will likely now jump ship to Canikon so they can have a camera that will impress their friends.

Geeezzz....the drama in here is THICK! "Time to stop playing in the kiddie pool." "I must have FF or someone will die." "I need more lenses, something like the Canikon (insert focal length here)."

This morning I walked my son to school and took my K20d along. I was SHOCKED to find out that even after the X70 (or whatever it is) announcement, MY CAMERA STILL WORKED!!! OMG!!! Gag me with a SPOON!!!
Great topic. I agree totally. These are the same things I always say. The great problem in photography (as well as in other areas ex.: hi-fi etc...) is that the marketing has taken the place of the real needs.

The ff is really a necessity? Perhaps to 1% of the pro-photographers who are looking for extreme bokeh and very high iso...peraphs... but instead many people invoke ff without ever having made a serious analysis of their needs. (For example, i prefeer more depth of field of aps-c...so...again, is only a matter of slight personal preference and not quality). A my friend, pro-photographer
shoot with an old olympus e-1 without being too problems producing excellent prints.

Many invoke more lenses...ok...I think that those who want more lenses
not even possess the 10% of the entire and complete DA and DA* lenses.
Certainly, some lenses must be built, but now I do not see catastrophic gaps.

The entire Pentax kit lenses covers all my needs. Indeed, for me, just to the DA * series covers all my needs...
03-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i will admit that i'm not well versed in American gun law, but i like to assume that its much more lax than the above.
I'm in CA - fairly restrictive compared to other states. You have to understand that America has a strong gun culture - it is part of the country. You can argue plus or minuses but that is just the reality.

As for me I have three long weapons and four handguns. Each has it's own uses. In my apartment all weapons are unloaded, have trigger locks *and* are locked in safes. I do not believe in "nightstand guns." When I transport them to the range they are unloaded and locked with the ammunition separate. I took gun safety courses and have studied a fair amount. I taught my son when he was 11 and he is incredibly safe around weapons. He also knows how to field strip a Sig. If he runs into a situation where a firearm is involved (like one improperly stored at a friend's house), he knows what to do (and what not to do). Knowledge is power.

I used to be anti-gun, partially because I was almost shot many years ago. But a few things happened to change my mind. First off, I believe that the way to deal with fear is by learning and engaging the fear. So I decided to take a class on gun safety and learn to shoot. Then I found that I actually enjoyed it and found it relaxing. Target shooting is rather Zen-like.

The other factor is my work with emergency responders (I do immersive training systems). I had many conversations with law enforcement and fire that indicated in the event of a large scale event (which is a given here in SoCal - it's happened before and will happen again), don't bother to call 911 - they can't show up. A private citizen is on their own for up to a week. As such I have 10 days worth of food and water stored along with first aid gear. And the other reality is that what stuff happens, some people act badly. In that case, force is sometimes the only option. If you are prepared and practice, you can take care of your family. I'm not being melodramatic - just pragmatic. I'm not a survivalist or crazed individual (as far as you know). I enjoy target shooting as a hobby, and in the event of stuff hitting the fan, I'm also prepared to keep bad people from doing bad things to me and my family.

ymmv, but that is my rationalization...
03-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #56
Veteran Member

no, dont get me wrong, i like guns

and i understand Americas gun culture, i was just responding to the fella that called me ignorant .

i regress to my original statement, its good that you are teaching your son gun ethics and handling, but wouldnt it be nicer to avoid it all together (which is the part that you wanted to avoid, and i agree that we should stay clear of it)

having said that i feel somewhat safe in canada knowing that the worst kind of trouble i can get into is a kick to the face, the places where i can get shot, i know very well, and avoid like the plague.

EDIT: just a quick google browsing tells me that in the province of Ontario, Canada, in 2006 there were a total of 66 homicides by gun, and something like 1600 robberies at gunpoint.

and AFAIK, most murder cases with guns are gang related, i'm not in a gang, so the chances of me getting shot are very very very low.

Last edited by Gooshin; 03-02-2009 at 04:20 PM.
03-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Err...what did I say about assuming?
I'll let you do the research, but suffice it to say, you have to jump through lots of hoops to get a license and the hoops you jump through vary by what city you're in and the licensing (what you're allowed to do with it) varies by city you're in and by the chief's whim (if he doesn't like you, you don't get one, even if you've never committed a crime) in a lot of them, so you can't make a blanket statement like what you did.
It's not as easy as saying "anyone" is all I was saying. I could have said "anyone in Toronto has one" because with all your stricter rules, you apparently still have parts of town where you can get shot but I just prefer to say bad guys will always find something to do bad things with.

Folks who are anti-gun in the US seem to either have their own bodyguards (politicians and celebs) or think that police magically teleport to you when you call 911 when the reality is 1/2hr-1hr in busier cities and police are mostly there to find criminals after they've done something to you
03-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #58
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some responses...

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
But I think you and everyone else knows the concern: if the company responsible for the ecosystem surrounding our current cameras doesn't care about it anymore, that ecosystem will die off. And things suddenly look grim on that front.
I have tried to get a conversation about Pentax and the current ecnomic conditions going here, I get blasted, insulted, and personal physical threats in my inbox by a bunch of freaks...

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
and i am sure your K20D will be perfect still in years to come for you to take your snapshots on the ay to your kids school.. thats fine.. knock yourself out..

some of us would like to move forward from taking snapshots, and for that, the truth is, the curent gear is simply not good enough.

I have been sitting on $4,500 for 2 months now, waiting for pentaxes PMA annoucements... I could have gone out any time and bought canikon, but i decided to wait to give Pentax the chance to come out with something I need..

they didn't.. !!

i cant keep doing paid shoots where my assistant keeps shooting away with his canon gear, whilst i have had to pack my pentax away as the AF no longer worked in the low light..

so for me , this announcement IS a train smash.... I so much wanted to stay with pentax.. but i have/am moving to a levelof paid photography... where snapshots on the way to school is not going to cut it...

so dont generalise.. and call me a doom-sayer... I am into Photography first.. pentax 2nd.... i need what i need to go further.. pentax cant provide it.

it will be sad to leave, but they give me no choise.
Exactly. Some of these people have never tried taking available light photos at a concert or a wedding, where the light is low and the action can be very fast. I'm sorry, you can shoot the messengers if you like, but THE CURRENT PENTAX CAMERAS ABSOLUTELY SUCK AT THIS COMPARED TO THE COMPETITION, AND IT IS ABOUT TIME THEY ADDRESSED THE SITUATION. PERIOD.

Now the death threats in my inbox from the inbred around here will ensue...

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Of course it's easier to put the blame on your gear instead of your own incompetency.
What incompetency is that? We have fully automatic cameras, we are told - autofocus, auto-exposure, auto-everything - 3.5 frames a second (yeah, right!). We point it at the subject, in my case at band concerts in low light at iso 800-1600 at least (same with wedding shooters at the receptions); the camera starts to hunt BADLY, back and forth, for seconds at a time, and WILL NOT FIRE; we miss the shot. How is that OUR fault? When you push the button, it should fire. I hear the Canons and Nikons around me blazing away at concerts where my camera won't get ONE SINGLE SHOT OFF! NOT ONE! We're not trying to emulate Ansel freaking Adams here, we're trying to get a shot at a wedding/concert/gig/news event.

The cameras are simply DREADFUL at this. They don't even have focus assist without engaging a flash unit of some kind, either internal or external - A LOT OF VENUES WILL NOT LET PHOTOGRAPHERS EVEN BRING A FLASH UNIT INTO THE BUILDING - if they see you wih one, you will be thrown out or at least harrassed by security. DO YOU GUYS GET IT YET AROUND HERE? DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHY WE'RE COMPAINING ABOUT PENTAX CAMERAS? ARE WE ALL GOING TO BE INSULTED AND THREATENED WITH VIOLENCE BY A BUNCH OF TESTOSTERONE-POISONED SCHOOLYARD BULLIES FOR EVEN MENTIONING THIS?

Well Mr. Big ProPhoto, please leave given your "no choise" [sic]

Funny, but people have bought my "snapshots" and I am talking with a couple of galleries about shows this year. But you keep insulting others if it makes you feel good...
We're not self-proclaimed world class 'artistes' like yourselves, we're working photographers complaining that our automatic cameras will not fire when we point them at our subjects, and get nowhere NEAR the claimed performance out of them.

And BTW, I didn't hear him insult YOU, but you here are attacking him personally for saying that the camera brand is SUCKING BADLY in low light performance, WHICH IT MOST DEFINITELY DOES. Now apologize publicly, or I'm taking this to the moderators. At least I'm man enough to give you a warning...

People can make art with just about anything. Some of my best work has been with a P&S. It is a lousy craftsman that blames his tools...
Art is one thing, shooting weddings, concerts, sports, and photo-journalism is another. With art shots you can take your time - Pentax gear is very good at this. Look at my gallery and many others around here. The lenses are definitely superb. Where Pentax totally sucks is where the vast majority of photographers live, breathe, and work - at weddings, concerts, sports events, and as photo-journalists. Stop insulting people and personally attacking them for making a point here. Pentax cameras are BADLY behind ALL the others (except maybe Leica) in this KEY area of performance, and it needs to be addressed. We bring these concerns up here because we shoot with Pentax and would like the brand to improve - we know they are listening here.

Tell you what, I've got a better idea - if you fanboys are so completely fine with the way your Pentax camera works, YOU GO AWAY! BUGGER OFF - GET OUT OF HERE. You have nothing to add but inconsequencial BS about your kids and the stupid kitten shots you took this weekend. BFD. You're completely happy with Pentax, they are doing a wonderful job, they are the best cameras in the world, and you guys are the smartest consumers in the world for buying them. So just go away, and stop with the PERSON INSULTS AND ATTACKS ON US PHOTOGRAPHERS JUST BECAUSE WE CRITICISE THE BRAND. Pentax NEEDS to know what direction we would like to push them. If everything is wonderful, rosey, and peachey-keen, they'll stay just where they are, which is just about dead last, and, having just been bought out in this AAWFUL economic times, teetering on the brink of demise.

And if I get ONE threat in my inbox because of this, take this as a warning, I will NOT tolerate it lightly.

Sincerely,
Cameron
03-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #59
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You got lucky...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
Yes. Those are the only options. You must either be using the absolute best in low light lenses on the top of the line camera, or you take snapshots.

My K110D managed to lock autofocus by moonlight and a 40 watt porch light over a hundred feet away.

Camera: Pentax K110D
Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 800

Flashes fired off AlienBees cybersync.

You're free to call it a snapshot if you'd like. You're free to say it took too long to autofocus. You're free to acknowledge there are conditions where the autofocus is too slow for the subject matter. If you say it absolutely can't be done, you're just being condescending and full of crap.

PS This set of shots made me want a Katz-eye so badly.

A lovely shot, and a lovely lady.

Too bad you're so insulting AND you don't know what you're talking about.

Now get her to move around a lot, quickly, in and out of the light, get a bunch of her friends in there, use 200-300mm and greatly vary the lighting and you'll see why pro shooters are complaining loudly about bad autofocus performance in low light. And f=2.8 at 55 and 100 feet away...hmmmmm....she must be 18 feet tall...

Cheers,
Cameron
03-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
I
And BTW, I didn't hear him insult YOU, but you here are attacking him personally for saying that the camera brand is SUCKING BADLY in low light performance, WHICH IT MOST DEFINITELY DOES. Now apologize publicly, or I'm taking this to the moderators. At least I'm man enough to give you a warning...

snip

And if I get ONE threat in my inbox because of this, take this as a warning, I will NOT tolerate it lightly.

Sincerely,
Cameron
wow, you are a piece of work...

But the real question - if Pentax sucks so hard, why in the world do you still have their gear? Just sell it and move on...

And I have never threatened anyone with violence.

Last edited by nostatic; 03-02-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Closed Thread