Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
in a country where anyone can own a gun, i think its smart to teach your kids to shoot one as early as possible.

good thing i don't live in the states.
the states are glad also.

03-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally, someone who is able to converse and communicate instead of attack and insult

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I don't want to start/continue any lynching of StevenG's motivations or competancy here - I just have a fairly simple question in regards to his no-FF frustrations with Pentax...

Your stated complaint with Pentax and professional photography was that your assistant merrily shoots away while your Pentax' AF stutters, farts and falls down in "low light".
My curiosity is how, or why, do you expect simply having a 36x24 offering by Pentax will improve low light auto-focus performance?

I was going to let this go as it's really not my concern and I don't wish to gang up on you - but it's nagging my few remaining brain cells because I truly don't get it.

Full-frame to me means:
a) larger field of view (frame) at the same focal length and distance to subject.
b) increased depth of field at the same focal length, aperture and distance to subject.
c) wider angle of view (perspective) with the same focal length, and field of view (frame).
d) theoretically, better signal-to-noise ratio for the same megapixel count and sensor tech.

Full-frame by itself won't change the AF software algorithm or the number of AF sensor points. Switching to a D700, D3X, 1DMkII - sure you'll get faster AF but there's a ton of electronics independent of the imaging sensor size involved there, not to mention serious money. I don't know what type of studio lighting you're using but most studio strobes have featherable (new word?) modeling lamps of 150W or 250W that I would think should overcome any deficiency in ambient lighting conditions.

I think it would be quite fantastic if Pentax were to jump out this year with a direct competitor to the Canikon full-frame flagships along with a complete line of DA and DA* primes and zooms from 12mm to 1200mm. But I don't understand how the K20D and the available DA/DA* lens lineup inhibits anyone's ability to make outstandingly good photographs in or out of the studio.

Again, I am not bagging on you. I'm just trying to better understand your issue(s) and maybe learn something in the process. And if I'm a colossal moron in my ignorance here then by all means direct the flaming projectiles my way.
There is WAY too much insulting going on in this forum - the above post is wha we should be doing, not saying you're a moron because your camera malfunctions.

Nice post.

Cameron
03-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I follow the rule of taking out more than I brought in
Thank you. I am the same and have taught my kids this. I wish more people would do likewise.
03-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
the states are glad also.
Actually he used to annoy me until I started to get his sense of humor.

Sadly, a sense of humor is often in short supply around this place...

03-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Take this post to a gun forum...

We don't particularly want to hear about this idiocy here...this is a forum about Pentax cameras, where insulting condescending jerks won't let others talk about any of the failing of Pentax cameras or their performance.

Cameron

I'm in CA - fairly restrictive compared to other states. You have to understand that America has a strong gun culture - it is part of the country. You can argue plus or minuses but that is just the reality.

As for me I have three long weapons and four handguns. Each has it's own uses. In my apartment all weapons are unloaded, have trigger locks *and* are locked in safes. I do not believe in "nightstand guns." When I transport them to the range they are unloaded and locked with the ammunition separate. I took gun safety courses and have studied a fair amount. I taught my son when he was 11 and he is incredibly safe around weapons. He also knows how to field strip a Sig. If he runs into a situation where a firearm is involved (like one improperly stored at a friend's house), he knows what to do (and what not to do). Knowledge is power.

I used to be anti-gun, partially because I was almost shot many years ago. But a few things happened to change my mind. First off, I believe that the way to deal with fear is by learning and engaging the fear. So I decided to take a class on gun safety and learn to shoot. Then I found that I actually enjoyed it and found it relaxing. Target shooting is rather Zen-like.

The other factor is my work with emergency responders (I do immersive training systems). I had many conversations with law enforcement and fire that indicated in the event of a large scale event (which is a given here in SoCal - it's happened before and will happen again), don't bother to call 911 - they can't show up. A private citizen is on their own for up to a week. As such I have 10 days worth of food and water stored along with first aid gear. And the other reality is that what stuff happens, some people act badly. In that case, force is sometimes the only option. If you are prepared and practice, you can take care of your family. I'm not being melodramatic - just pragmatic. I'm not a survivalist or crazed individual (as far as you know). I enjoy target shooting as a hobby, and in the event of stuff hitting the fan, I'm also prepared to keep bad people from doing bad things to me and my family.

ymmv, but that is my rationalization...
03-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
threads are allowed to travel off-topic.

You are really uptight...maybe go play your bass or something to relax.
03-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Response...

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Well said...could also be transferred to some in this community as a whole
No it WASN'T well said, it was insulting and condescending, and just a personal insult. In the OLD days, viewfinders and lenses enabled manual focussing quickly and accurately. Have you tried manual focussing with a modern zoom lens that has about .5" of travel from lock to lock - it is VIRTUALLY impossible, which is why we have to bitch about bad low-light auto-focus performance in Pentax cameras.

Stop INSULTING people, and stop applauding people for insulting people - it's just plain RUDE and IGNORANT.

Cameron
03-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
No it WASN'T well said, it was insulting and condescending, and just a personal insult. In the OLD days, viewfinders and lenses enabled manual focussing quickly and accurately. Have you tried manual focussing with a modern zoom lens that has about .5" of travel from lock to lock - it is VIRTUALLY impossible, which is why we have to bitch about bad low-light auto-focus performance in Pentax cameras.

Stop INSULTING people, and stop applauding people for insulting people - it's just plain RUDE and IGNORANT.

Cameron
Pot, meet kettle. They're both black.

The irony is thick with this one...

03-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #69
Pentaxian

???

What does ANY of this have to do with Pentax cameras or the PMA?

Cameron

I'm in CA - fairly restrictive compared to other states. You have to understand that America has a strong gun culture - it is part of the country. You can argue plus or minuses but that is just the reality.

As for me I have three long weapons and four handguns. Each has it's own uses. In my apartment all weapons are unloaded, have trigger locks *and* are locked in safes. I do not believe in "nightstand guns." When I transport them to the range they are unloaded and locked with the ammunition separate. I took gun safety courses and have studied a fair amount. I taught my son when he was 11 and he is incredibly safe around weapons. He also knows how to field strip a Sig. If he runs into a situation where a firearm is involved (like one improperly stored at a friend's house), he knows what to do (and what not to do). Knowledge is power.

I used to be anti-gun, partially because I was almost shot many years ago. But a few things happened to change my mind. First off, I believe that the way to deal with fear is by learning and engaging the fear. So I decided to take a class on gun safety and learn to shoot. Then I found that I actually enjoyed it and found it relaxing. Target shooting is rather Zen-like.

The other factor is my work with emergency responders (I do immersive training systems). I had many conversations with law enforcement and fire that indicated in the event of a large scale event (which is a given here in SoCal - it's happened before and will happen again), don't bother to call 911 - they can't show up. A private citizen is on their own for up to a week. As such I have 10 days worth of food and water stored along with first aid gear. And the other reality is that what stuff happens, some people act badly. In that case, force is sometimes the only option. If you are prepared and practice, you can take care of your family. I'm not being melodramatic - just pragmatic. I'm not a survivalist or crazed individual (as far as you know). I enjoy target shooting as a hobby, and in the event of stuff hitting the fan, I'm also prepared to keep bad people from doing bad things to me and my family.

ymmv, but that is my rationalization...
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
no, dont get me wrong, i like guns

and i understand Americas gun culture, i was just responding to the fella that called me ignorant .

i regress to my original statement, its good that you are teaching your son gun ethics and handling, but wouldnt it be nicer to avoid it all together (which is the part that you wanted to avoid, and i agree that we should stay clear of it)

having said that i feel somewhat safe in canada knowing that the worst kind of trouble i can get into is a kick to the face, the places where i can get shot, i know very well, and avoid like the plague.

EDIT: just a quick google browsing tells me that in the province of Ontario, Canada, in 2006 there were a total of 66 homicides by gun, and something like 1600 robberies at gunpoint.

and AFAIK, most murder cases with guns are gang related, i'm not in a gang, so the chances of me getting shot are very very very low.
03-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank gawd the forum police arrive. Help, help, I'm being repressed by an off-topic post!!!

And thanks for quoting me twice! I feel so special!!!
03-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #71
Veteran Member

{sirens}

Excuse me Mr.... Nostatic is it? Did you know that this thread is in a No Off-Topic zone? I've been following you in this thread for about 5 pages now and I have seen you veer off topic a couple times now...

Please step out of the thread and present your Internet license. I want to run it through the system to see how many times you have posted "First!" or "BOOBIES" onto a thread in t3h intarw3bs.
03-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Actually he used to annoy me until I started to get his sense of humor.

Sadly, a sense of humor is often in short supply around this place...
No, no, no. gooshin doesn't annoy me. My post was meant as a friendly poke at gooshin -- nothing bad at all. The first couple of posts of his I read I was thinking WTF??? Then I realized that he just had a much different outlook on some things.
03-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
{sirens}

Excuse me Mr.... Nostatic is it? Did you know that this thread is in a No Off-Topic zone? I've been following you in this thread for about 5 pages now and I have seen you veer off topic a couple times now...

Please step out of the thread and present your Internet license. I want to run it through the system to see how many times you have posted "First!" or "BOOBIES" onto a thread in t3h intarw3bs.
actually it's Dr. nostatic. All your boobies are belong to us! These are not the droids you're looking for! I loaned my license to my cousin so I don't have it on me. But I got this buddy named Cambo - he'll vouch for me. Him and StephenG were with me when that stuff went down. I was out of town. My car ran out of gas. There was a flood. LOCUSTS!!!

Hey, you're shoes are untied......

<whoosh>
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #74
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

This is getting out of hand and with all the complaints. the thread is closed.
Closed Thread