Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find it so funny that there are people out there that call other people who shoot with Pentax are "playing in the kiddie pool"

We know that there are professionals who use Pentax. Hell, some of them post here (BenK, Marc L, Codiac, devisor etc etc) and those that don't well we have seen their work in other places (pentaxian.com or personal websites). Those are the people I look to for inspiration since they are able to make a living with photography (within very competitive industries) then I know my camera has the ability to take great pictures. The question for me is if I can take those pictures with my camera. I can imagine a scene pretty clearly but it really doesn't matter what paint and paint brushes I get if I can't paint worth a damn.

03-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
............ cant keep doing paid shoots where my assistant keeps shooting away with his canon gear, whilst i have had to pack my pentax away as the AF no longer worked in the low light......................
So it is your opinion that "Professional" photography was not possible before the advent of auto focus? If you have to give up on a shoot just because you can't autofocus, then you may not be beyond the "snapshot" level yourself.
03-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #18

bwahahahah .... shows in your kids school hall dont count.. but keep at it ok.. dont ever give up.. or feel the need to upgrade.. i m sure your family loves your snapshots..

shows rather jealous small mindedness.
Yes. Those are the only options. You must either be using the absolute best in low light lenses on the top of the line camera, or you take snapshots.

My K110D managed to lock autofocus by moonlight and a 40 watt porch light over a hundred feet away.

Camera: Pentax K110D
Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 800

Flashes fired off AlienBees cybersync.

You're free to call it a snapshot if you'd like. You're free to say it took too long to autofocus. You're free to acknowledge there are conditions where the autofocus is too slow for the subject matter. If you say it absolutely can't be done, you're just being condescending and full of crap.

PS This set of shots made me want a Katz-eye so badly.
03-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #19

Oh My Gawd
Do we really have a pro among us? I'm deeply honored

Seriously Steephen; please don't take out your frustration by dissing other forum members.

03-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Very funny, and very very true. One of the biggest reasons that I chose Pentax over Canikon is because I can shoot with that $25 lens I bought at my local photo shop from the '70s. I know that my K mount lenses will always work. There's a lot of value in that.
03-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

some of us would like to move forward from taking snapshots, and for that, the truth is, the curent gear is simply not good enough.

I have been sitting on $4,500 for 2 months now, waiting for pentaxes PMA annoucements... I could have gone out any time and bought canikon, but i decided to wait to give Pentax the chance to come out with something I need..

they didn't.. !!

i cant keep doing paid shoots where my assistant keeps shooting away with his canon gear, whilst i have had to pack my pentax away as the AF no longer worked in the low light..

so for me , this announcement IS a train smash.... I so much wanted to stay with pentax.. but i have/am moving to a level of paid photography... where snapshots on the way to school is not going to cut it...

so dont generalise.. and call me a doom-sayer... I am into Photography first.. pentax 2nd.... i need what i need to go further.. pentax cant provide it.

it will be sad to leave, but they give me no choise.
Sorry but reading your rants I've got lingering doubts if you really know your trade. If you're a working pro as you say, $4,500 is small change to spend on equipment. You would have put your money on gear that would have delivered the results and the money in asap. No need to wait for Pentax, because as a pro there is little or no room for brand sentimentality and you would have invested in what would get the job done. Period. It is a business, nobody is holding you back but yourself.

Now you ought to be worried if your assistant can deliver results better than you can... as they say, problem lies behind viewfinder :ugh:
03-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
Seriously Steephen; please don't take out your frustration by dissing other forum members.

fototim you are right, i do apologise.. It been an extremely frustrating time waiting since photokina in the hopes of a Pentax FF.
i really do need the benefits FF has to offer, and been SO hoping Pentax would give us one cause i dont want to go to Canikon.
i have no intention of leaving the brand, as i said, i have invested plenty of $$ in pentax so i will keep all my stuff - it aint gong to be useless tomorrow or the day after etc..

i been flying the pentax flag and fighting the pentax fight, but as said in other posts, its seems Hoya dont listen to its loyal customer base.

i would SO love to do our next shoot holding a PentaxFF and being able to say, i told you so, to the other guys.. but i guess not yet.

so until they do bring out a pro-level camera, i am going to have to go canikon..no need for anyone on here to get upset about it...
i suppose the longer it takes Pentax to come out with a FF, the better the technology is gonna be...

so do we start a FF rumour to be released by the end of this year?? which if they do, canikon or no canikon, i'll still be one of the first to buy it!

03-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote

And now something on topic. Since PMA is in the desert, so was I yesterday. Here is said son taking dead aim at a paper target, and g/f doing the same. Lighten up, kids!
is that your girlfriend or your sons girlfriend??
03-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
because as a pro there is little or no room for brand sentimentality and you would have invested in what would get the job done. Period. It is a business, nobody is holding you back but yourself.
you nailed it right there.. I am very sentimental about the brands i support.. been riding the same make of crap car for 10 years now.. on my 3rd model of the same brand.. it really is crap but i feel loyal to it..

been riding the same brand of motorbike all my like - Kawasaki!

and do feel a sense of brnd loyalty towards pentax too... i get told we will see flying cars before pentax release a pro-model... and i fiercley defend pentax...

so u right, no one is holding me back but myself in investing in canikon, mostly cause i dont want to !!
i've held off since photokina last year, but things are starting to move a lot faster than what i had anticipated or counted on..

just wish I could be doing it with a pentax Ff
03-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm not saying Pentax needs to make an earth-shattering top-of-the-line ubercamera announcement. In fact, I think that'd be foolishness in this economy. It'd just be nice to have assurance that there's real resources committed to ongoing development of the mid-level dSLR market Pentax currently covers so well with the K20D.

Removing a key lens (the normal lens for the format!) which plays into that camera's strengths (weather sealed) from the roadmap is not reassuring at all.
03-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'm not saying Pentax needs to make an earth-shattering top-of-the-line ubercamera announcement. In fact, I think that'd be foolishness in this economy. It'd just be nice to have assurance that there's real resources committed to ongoing development of the mid-level dSLR market Pentax currently covers so well with the K20D.

Removing a key lens (the normal lens for the format!) which plays into that camera's strengths (weather sealed) from the roadmap is not reassuring at all.

whats the time over there where the holding the PMA press conference??

anyone want to venture whether pentax still has something up their sleeve to announce at the press conference that has not been leaked yet??

hell - imagine if they actually do still announce a FF at the press conference !!

i'll be so happy, i'll buy one for the person who breaks the story first !!
03-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #27

fototim you are right, i do apologise.. It been an extremely frustrating time waiting ...
Lack of FF is no deal breaker for me personally, but I can sympathize with your frustration.

No reason to apologize. I think no one is offended. I know for sure that I'm not.
03-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #28
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
We know that there are professionals who use Pentax.
Sebastiao Salgado uses Pentax on his "Genesis" project.

A pentax 645, okay, but still...
03-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Whatcher Buyin' ??

whats the time over there where the holding the PMA press conference??

anyone want to venture whether pentax still has something up their sleeve to announce at the press conference that has not been leaked yet??

hell - imagine if they actually do still announce a FF at the press conference !!

i'll be so happy, i'll buy one for the person who breaks the story first !!
Re: "Buying one" You're buying an FF for me or are you using the US expression for an adult beverage?

Not that I really know, alas.
03-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Re: "Buying one" You're buying an FF for me or are you using the US expression for an adult beverage?

Not that I really know, alas.

bwaahahah depends on the release price of a FF.... if its over the top........... then of course I meant an adult beverage!!
Closed Thread