Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Professionals ...

need different tools, even amongs themselves. A roofer needs a different hammer than a cabinet maker than a watch maker than a stone mason.

Some pros need the characteristics of high-end Canon or Nikon gear, I think. Some can nail their images with a P&S or *st or what have you.

This talk of pro versus the rest of us seems too often off base.

Me? I'm just ....

03-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #32
Veteran Member

SSDY.

Jason
03-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
SSDY.

Jason
Heh. I had to Google that. Nice one.
03-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
is that your girlfriend or your sons girlfriend??
mine. He's only 12...

03-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
i would SO love to do our next shoot holding a PentaxFF and being able to say, i told you so, to the other guys.. but i guess not yet.
well, at least we know what is most important...
03-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
mine. He's only 12...
She looks pretty young too.
03-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just find it so great that despite everything you still allow kids to shoot guns.

Now there's a topic ....

03-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #38
Veteran Member

in a country where anyone can own a gun, i think its smart to teach your kids to shoot one as early as possible.

good thing i don't live in the states.
03-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in a country where anyone can own a gun
As I said, now theres a topic ....
03-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #40
Veteran Member

"I can't use my 30 year old lens that I bought off eBay for $25...Pentax sucks."
Some guy on one of the Flickr/Pentax pools was complaining because he had to press the green button to make his 30 year old lens meter properly. I started to complain that the AF didn't work on my 30 year old lens, but then just bit my tongue. Others there were much nicer at explain the limitations of the lens, and how simple it is to use such old lenses on a modern camera.
03-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
She looks pretty young too.
She's 40.

Last edited by nostatic; 03-02-2009 at 01:30 PM.
03-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
fototim you are right, i do apologise.. It been an extremely frustrating time waiting since photokina in the hopes of a Pentax FF.
i really do need the benefits FF has to offer, and been SO hoping Pentax would give us one cause i dont want to go to Canikon.
i have no intention of leaving the brand, as i said, i have invested plenty of $$ in pentax so i will keep all my stuff - it aint gong to be useless tomorrow or the day after etc..

i been flying the pentax flag and fighting the pentax fight, but as said in other posts, its seems Hoya dont listen to its loyal customer base.

i would SO love to do our next shoot holding a PentaxFF and being able to say, i told you so, to the other guys.. but i guess not yet.

so until they do bring out a pro-level camera, i am going to have to go canikon..no need for anyone on here to get upset about it...
i suppose the longer it takes Pentax to come out with a FF, the better the technology is gonna be...

so do we start a FF rumour to be released by the end of this year?? which if they do, canikon or no canikon, i'll still be one of the first to buy it!
Howzit Bro

Visit this guys blog

chasing light...: DAY ONE ACTION: RC’S KATIN PRO/AM TEAM CHALLENGE PRESENTED BY JACK’S

When you/I can produce Pro work of this caliber with our current tools only then and only then can we say - Do we really need Full Frame?

Cheers

DYLAN
03-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I don't want to start/continue any lynching of StevenG's motivations or competancy here - I just have a fairly simple question in regards to his no-FF frustrations with Pentax...

Your stated complaint with Pentax and professional photography was that your assistant merrily shoots away while your Pentax' AF stutters, farts and falls down in "low light".
My curiosity is how, or why, do you expect simply having a 36x24 offering by Pentax will improve low light auto-focus performance?

I was going to let this go as it's really not my concern and I don't wish to gang up on you - but it's nagging my few remaining brain cells because I truly don't get it.

Full-frame to me means:
a) larger field of view (frame) at the same focal length and distance to subject.
b) increased depth of field at the same focal length, aperture and distance to subject.
c) wider angle of view (perspective) with the same focal length, and field of view (frame).
d) theoretically, better signal-to-noise ratio for the same megapixel count and sensor tech.

Full-frame by itself won't change the AF software algorithm or the number of AF sensor points. Switching to a D700, D3X, 1DMkII - sure you'll get faster AF but there's a ton of electronics independent of the imaging sensor size involved there, not to mention serious money. I don't know what type of studio lighting you're using but most studio strobes have featherable (new word?) modeling lamps of 150W or 250W that I would think should overcome any deficiency in ambient lighting conditions.

I think it would be quite fantastic if Pentax were to jump out this year with a direct competitor to the Canikon full-frame flagships along with a complete line of DA and DA* primes and zooms from 12mm to 1200mm. But I don't understand how the K20D and the available DA/DA* lens lineup inhibits anyone's ability to make outstandingly good photographs in or out of the studio.

Again, I am not bagging on you. I'm just trying to better understand your issue(s) and maybe learn something in the process. And if I'm a colossal moron in my ignorance here then by all means direct the flaming projectiles my way.
03-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Repetitive, I know

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
SSDY.

Jason
Yeah, I got carried away. All this has been said before. Next time I'll keep my hammers to myself.
03-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #45
Veteran Member

This morning I walked my son to school and took my K20d along. I was SHOCKED to find out that even after the X70 (or whatever it is) announcement, MY CAMERA STILL WORKED!!! OMG!!! Gag me with a SPOON!!!
Good thing you posted something, or I was going to say "Pix or it didn't happen"

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
The question for me is if I can take those pictures with my camera. I can imagine a scene pretty clearly but it really doesn't matter what paint and paint brushes I get if I can't paint worth a damn.
I can imagine a final scene, but watching someone like Bob Ross take a blank canvas and make a spectacular landscape from it is jaw-dropping to me.

Happy Trees ftw
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
So it is your opinion that "Professional" photography was not possible before the advent of auto focus? If you have to give up on a shoot just because you can't autofocus, then you may not be beyond the "snapshot" level yourself.
Well said...could also be transferred to some in this community as a whole
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Some guy on one of the Flickr/Pentax pools was complaining because he had to press the green button to make his 30 year old lens meter properly. I started to complain that the AF didn't work on my 30 year old lens, but then just bit my tongue. Others there were much nicer at explain the limitations of the lens, and how simple it is to use such old lenses on a modern camera.
It's really not as bad as some think...definitely makes you more methodical in your approach to a subject. People just like to bitch a lot, I guess.

How did people ever live before automatic coffee makers, or having calls forwarded from home to your cell, or having your computer stay connected to the internet at all times? Ya know?

The best part of manual lenses is great image quality for a lot less money, but that's for another thread...my 30 year old stuff is still working fine.
Closed Thread