Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shocking PMA update

2Mar09 - Las Vegas, NV

This just in from PMA - Pentax announces that no matter what they show at PMA, current model cameras will continue to function. This message comes as a shock to many Pentax faithful who were hoping for the announcement of a FF/MF/APS-C/H-hybrid-15fps-HyperAF-39mp-for-$500 camera. Many of those customers will likely now jump ship to Canikon so they can have a camera that will impress their friends.

Geeezzz....the drama in here is THICK! "Time to stop playing in the kiddie pool." "I must have FF or someone will die." "I need more lenses, something like the Canikon (insert focal length here)."

This morning I walked my son to school and took my K20d along. I was SHOCKED to find out that even after the X70 (or whatever it is) announcement, MY CAMERA STILL WORKED!!! OMG!!! Gag me with a SPOON!!!

And now something on topic. Since PMA is in the desert, so was I yesterday. Here is said son taking dead aim at a paper target, and g/f doing the same. Lighten up, kids!

03-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Forum Member

Haha!!
(adding the xtra 10 characters
03-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like your desert is quite polluted..
03-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spag Quote
Looks like your desert is quite polluted..
Just in a few areas. Most of the CA desert is untouched. The OHV (off-highway vehicle) areas are a bit torn up, and in a few shooting areas there are slobs who don't pick up their trash. I follow the rule of taking out more than I brought in, but yes, some places aren't great.

03-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
This just in from PMA - Pentax announces that no matter what they show at PMA, current model cameras will continue to function. This message comes as a shock to many Pentax faithful [...]
There's variants of this joke whenever someone is worried about Pentax's future. Sure, the current models are fine and continue to work. They'll probably be still working in 10 years.

But I think you and everyone else knows the concern: if the company responsible for the ecosystem surrounding our current cameras doesn't care about it anymore, that ecosystem will die off. And things suddenly look grim on that front.

Consider this: imagine film technology reliably doubled in quality every few years. Now imagine that film companies suddenly stopped making film that fit your favorite camera body. Of course you'd be happy to continue shooting with your current setup — but you'd be wise to start casting an eye around for what you're going to do in the longer term.

And hey, you might decide "I'm gonna keep using the back-stock of film, and using a quaint old antique will be my thing, even if everyone else is benefiting from constantly-improving image quality and better and better handling". A perfectly fine decision, but a little idiosyncratic — so not really a good position to be mocking everyone else from.
03-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand the eco system argument, but my gut tells me that the most vocal whiners are likely gadget freaks as opposed to photographers or artists. There seems to be a correlation between measurebating and FF moans...and rarely do those people show up on the art side of the house.

That isn't to say that people shouldn't expect improvements and that some really do *need* FF or equivalent. But for the "pros" that need it, Pentax is more curiousity than necessity. They should go Sony or Canikon and be happy. But pissing and moaning around here gets really tiresome.

"oh, Pentax let me down...I can't use my 30 year old lens that I bought off eBay for $25...Pentax sucks."
03-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I understand the eco system argument, but my gut tells me that the most vocal whiners are likely gadget freaks as opposed to photographers or artists. There seems to be a correlation between measurebating and FF moans...and rarely do those people show up on the art side of the house.

That isn't to say that people shouldn't expect improvements and that some really do *need* FF or equivalent. But for the "pros" that need it, Pentax is more curiousity than necessity. They should go Sony or Canikon and be happy. But pissing and moaning around here gets really tiresome.

"oh, Pentax let me down...I can't use my 30 year old lens that I bought off eBay for $25...Pentax sucks."
I totally agree here.

03-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand the eco system argument, but my gut tells me that the most vocal whiners are likely gadget freaks as opposed to photographers or artists.
Bingo: you win the internets!
03-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #9

This morning I walked my son to school and took my K20d along. I was SHOCKED to find out that even after the X70 (or whatever it is) announcement, MY CAMERA STILL WORKED!!! OMG!!! Gag me with a SPOON!!!

and i am sure your K20D will be perfect still in years to come for you to take your snapshots on the ay to your kids school.. thats fine.. knock yourself out..

some of us would like to move forward from taking snapshots, and for that, the truth is, the curent gear is simply not good enough.

I have been sitting on $4,500 for 2 months now, waiting for pentaxes PMA annoucements... I could have gone out any time and bought canikon, but i decided to wait to give Pentax the chance to come out with something I need..

they didn't.. !!

i cant keep doing paid shoots where my assistant keeps shooting away with his canon gear, whilst i have had to pack my pentax away as the AF no longer worked in the low light..

so for me , this announcement IS a train smash.... I so much wanted to stay with pentax.. but i have/am moving to a levelof paid photography... where snapshots on the way to school is not going to cut it...

so dont generalise.. and call me a doom-sayer... I am into Photography first.. pentax 2nd.... i need what i need to go further.. pentax cant provide it.

it will be sad to leave, but they give me no choise.
03-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote

And hey, you might decide "I'm gonna keep using the back-stock of film, and using a quaint old antique will be my thing, even if everyone else is benefiting from constantly-improving image quality and better and better handling". A perfectly fine decision, but a little idiosyncratic — so not really a good position to be mocking everyone else from.

well said Matt - its seems that the majority of Pentax apologists are trying to convince themselves why they are stuck with pentax products that seem to be going no where for now.. rather than coming up with ANY tangible argument as to why any one looking to improve or better themselves should stay with the brand.

but then again, I am sure pentax will be very proud that Nostatic has finally called the niche market for the K20d =- taking snapshots while walking your kid to school...
03-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
some of us would like to move forward from taking snapshots, and for that, the truth is, the curent gear is simply not good enough.

i cant keep doing paid shoots where my assistant keeps shooting away with his canon gear, whilst i have had to pack my pentax away as the AF no longer worked in the low light.

Of course it's easier to put the blame on your gear instead of your own incompetency.
03-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and i am sure your K20D will be perfect still in years to come for you to take your snapshots on the ay to your kids school.. thats fine.. knock yourself out..

I have been sitting on $4,500 for 2 months now, waiting for pentaxes PMA annoucements... I could have gone out any time and bought canikon, but i decided to wait to give Pentax the chance to come out with something I need..

they didn't.. !!

i cant keep doing paid shoots where my assistant keeps shooting away with his canon gear, whilst i have had to pack my pentax away as the AF no longer worked in the low light..

so for me , this announcement IS a train smash.... I so much wanted to stay with pentax.. but i have/am moving to a levelof paid photography... where snapshots on the way to school is not going to cut it...

so dont generalise.. and call me a doom-sayer... I am into Photography first.. pentax 2nd.... i need what i need to go further.. pentax cant provide it.

it will be sad to leave, but they give me no choise.
Well Mr. Big ProPhoto, please leave given your "no choise" [sic]

Funny, but people have bought my "snapshots" and I am talking with a couple of galleries about shows this year. But you keep insulting others if it makes you feel good...
03-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you're getting paid for your work, definitely get the best tool you can afford for the job.
BenK mentioned the DSLR announcement was pushed off to the summer a few weeks ago, so I'm not terribly surprised about the PMA "announcement", though it would have been nice if it were the Samsung NX w/ K mount support instead.
03-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Of course it's easier to put the blame on your gear instead of your own incompetency.
People can make art with just about anything. Some of my best work has been with a P&S. It is a lousy craftsman that blames his tools...
03-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #15

Funny, but people have bought my "snapshots" and I am talking with a couple of galleries about shows this year. But you keep insulting others if it makes you feel good...
bwahahahah .... shows in your kids school hall dont count.. but keep at it ok.. dont ever give up.. or feel the need to upgrade.. i m sure your family loves your snapshots..

kenyee............ i actually spent $800 last week on more glass for the pentax, so still heavily invested in pentax gear... but sadly it does not cut it in the conditions i shoot under.. so was really pegging all hopes on something this PMA to really compete in the pro class..
just find it totally bizarre that people here actually get upset when someone wants to upgrade and that means changing brands.. why they get all agro is beyond me... as i said, its like they feel they have to justify their purchase to themselves or serious buyers remorse..
i still think pentax is the best product in its class.. i would take a k10d over a 40D any day.. so no one is saying pentax is dead.. no one is saying penyax is rubbish... but if anyone here believes that pentaxes current lineup can compete with 5D or D700 then they are seriously deluding themselves.. and then to get upset cause someone wants the benefits that the 5Dd or D700 offers , just shows rather jealous small mindedness.
Closed Thread