Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
An apology to ogl...

In a relatively recent thread, ogl indicated that someone "in the know" told him that Pentax would stay on the APS-C "classic" DSLR while Samsung would diversify and propose an EVIL APS-C camera and a FF.

I must confess I didn't think there was an ounce of truth in this rumour but credits where credit is due: it looks a lot more realistic now from the look of the new Samsung NX!!

So ogl, I offer you my sincere apologies for not taking you seriously the first time!

BTW, do you still maintain the FF part of your "prediction"?

03-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If his predictions are true, I'm more excited about the digital MF from Pentax that went along with the APS-C system.
03-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No problem. Time will answer.
Yes. I have information that DMF camera from Pentax could be offered this year.
As for APS-C - I don't have any news.
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

True but he's still a troll.

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
In a relatively recent thread, ogl indicated that someone "in the know" told him that Pentax would stay on the APS-C "classic" DSLR while Samsung would diversify and propose an EVIL APS-C camera and a FF.

I must confess I didn't think there was an ounce of truth in this rumour but credits where credit is due: it looks a lot more realistic now from the look of the new Samsung NX!!

So ogl, I offer you my sincere apologies for not taking you seriously the first time!

BTW, do you still maintain the FF part of your "prediction"?

03-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No problem. Time will answer.
Yes. I have information that DMF camera from Pentax could be offered this year.
As for APS-C - I don't have any news.
How much would this cost, and are we assuming that Pentax would then come out with an entire Medium Format lens line again, or just depend on people having all the old MFormat lenses and making do with those?

It seems odd that Pentax cannot accomplish the timely release of the DA* 30 or 60-250, yet they can create a whole new lens line?

Tell me what I'm missing here, I've been ignoring DMF rumors out of sheer boredom and there may be a rational explanation already discussed...

03-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
How much would this cost, and are we assuming that Pentax would then come out with an entire Medium Format lens line again, or just depend on people having all the old MFormat lenses and making do with those?

It seems odd that Pentax cannot accomplish the timely release of the DA* 30 or 60-250, yet they can create a whole new lens line?

Tell me what I'm missing here, I've been ignoring DMF rumors out of sheer boredom and there may be a rational explanation already discussed...

Besides the fashion/ad pros (which would use only a few lenses in general) and the Japanese "old guy" landscape shooter (which again would use only 1 or 2 lenses in all likelihood) there is not a need for a whole lens line....LBA is not a strong suit of Mf in general..but you also have a raft of 67 lenses that would fit.
Photoethnography.com - Classic Cameras
AF is also not that important in this market................
Maybe they discontinued the "roadmap" for the TC so they can build an AF TC for the 645D.....
Actually it is strictly the body market holding it up.. and the distribution (which is the Pentax party line)... and the economy... and ect...
Others thoughts on MF.. fun read I guess...........
http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00Oqe1
And another one bites the dust.. Remember Hoya, and I quote the CEO I believe, likes to be "a big fish in a small pond"
MF would be right up their alley.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=31177999

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-02-2009 at 10:45 PM.
03-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
True but he's still a troll.
I think you're bad-mannered man.
You are not troll, you are gnome.

03-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, what about the FF part, ogl?
03-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Huh? I think they're still making a bunch of medium format lenses.
Here the 645 lens list:

Interchangeable Lenses (for 645NII) : Film Cameras : PENTAX
03-03-2009, 02:44 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Huh? I think they're still making a bunch of medium format lenses.
Here the 645 lens list:

Interchangeable Lenses (for 645NII) : Film Cameras : PENTAX
You are right, these all lenses are in production, and as You can see in table in link You gave - almost all of them are autofocus lenses.

Some of them I saw in shop in my country and they were new lenses (not used).
03-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
In a relatively recent thread, ogl indicated that someone "in the know" told him that .......................Samsung would diversify and propose an EVIL APS-C camera and a FF.................
Was it:
New interchangeable lens system compact digital camera system on the way news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums
03-03-2009, 03:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Yep, we knew about this from last year. It's also known - now quite official - that Pentax will launch a (?) new high-end DSLR this summer.
Why are you apologizing for?
03-05-2009, 02:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

In light of the Pentax dMF revival, it looks like whoever ogl was talking to was right...
03-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think you're bad-mannered man.
You are not troll, you are gnome.
Good, now we both know where we stand. As for your prediction, it was already pretty clear from press releases that...

1. Samsung were looking at the micro concept as they said so
2. Pentax were not going FF in the near future as they said so

Samsung are very unlikely to ship an FF camera, because they will rely almost completely on Pentax to do it. It makes no sense whatsoever to do so in isolation in the current market.

They are however currently negotiating with Pentax about when to release another new APS SLR. I suspect they will simply rebadge another mid range and/or top end APS camera from Pentax but they have already said they dont want a Km version because it will compete with micro APS (also reported in the press).

If they need Pentax to make an APS camera, they will need them to make an FF one as well.

So please tell me something I didnt already know.