Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2009, 12:20 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for applications like backpacking or canyoneering where every ounce count, the smaller size of this lens is awesome! If I had the money, I'd buy this + Km and make one sweet canyoneering kit.

03-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
I have to say I'm thrilled about this one as well. The 49mm filter really sold it for me, as you can now have anything from 15 wide to 100mm macro as a small(ish) prime with the 49mm filter size.
For me, this will complete my kit beautifully: 35/2 normal, 50/1.4 portrait lens, and a 15/4 wide. All using the same filters, all fitting easily in an inconspicuous photo bag. Maybe sometime I'll swap the 50 for the 77 and the 35/2 for the 35 macro, but in any case there are a great variety of "have it your way" kits to piece together.

I'm not an expert on other brands' offerings, but it seems to me that Pentax is the undisputed champion in the area of small, sharp primes now. There are a lot of photographers that would dig this quality and setup. I know it will be ideal for me for weddings, street photography, and backpacking. Sport and wildlife photographers might be out, but it looks like Pentax is (wisely?) choosing to let the big dogs fight for that turf, while they quietly target markets that are less saturated.
03-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote

I'm not an expert on other brands' offerings, but it seems to me that Pentax is the undisputed champion in the area of small, sharp primes now.
Pentax absolutely has a lock on this niche.
03-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
Given that the 16-45 is supposed to be nearly distortion free on the wide end, can someone explain the rationale of a prime that is 1mm wider, no faster, and twice the cost?
The FA and DA Limited series lenses are also designed to have superior optical qualities (apart from build, size etc), such as those described by Mike Johnston in his review of the DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited (co-written with Carl Weese):

An Optical Paragon - photo.net

And some previous posts that mention the same lens:

The Online Photographer: Just Published! Pentax 35mm ?/2.8 DA Macro Limited Review
The Online Photographer: The SMC Pentax DA 35mm ?/2.8 Macro Limited

Cheers,

03-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

All we need now is a camera to bolt them onto

I have to say I'm thrilled about this one as well. The 49mm filter really sold it for me, as you can now have anything from 15 wide to 100mm macro as a small(ish) prime with the 49mm filter size.
For me, this will complete my kit beautifully: 35/2 normal, 50/1.4 portrait lens, and a 15/4 wide. All using the same filters, all fitting easily in an inconspicuous photo bag. Maybe sometime I'll swap the 50 for the 77 and the 35/2 for the 35 macro, but in any case there are a great variety of "have it your way" kits to piece together.

I'm not an expert on other brands' offerings, but it seems to me that Pentax is the undisputed champion in the area of small, sharp primes now. There are a lot of photographers that would dig this quality and setup. I know it will be ideal for me for weddings, street photography, and backpacking. Sport and wildlife photographers might be out, but it looks like Pentax is (wisely?) choosing to let the big dogs fight for that turf, while they quietly target markets that are less saturated.
03-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
To the guy who said the 1645 is distortion free,

1, You are a funny guy.
2, The 1645 blocks the build-in flash.
3, It's a very long lense at 16mm, you can barely shoot 1/60 handheld. The DA15 being a much more compact lens it's definitely possible to shoot at 1/30s handheld.

It's a perfect travel lens IMO. I will sell my 16-45mm soon. Originally I wantd to switch to the Sigma 17-70mm. Now I am thinking either the DA15 or the new Voilgtlander 20mm. I am leaning toward the Voilgtlander myself.
The 16-45 definitely isn't distortion free at 16mm, while the 15mm looks very good from Ned's samples. I have to disagree on the shutter times, though, IMHO the long barrel just makes it easier to use long shutter times. I use shutter speeds down to 1/8 on a regular basis at 16mm. I even managed to shoot a sharp pic at 1/4 with the SR off (accidently).
The 15mm is high on my wish list now, but I will no doubt keep the excellent 16-45 for those times when a zoom comes handy.
03-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Less distortion, less aberration, greater resistance to flare, higher resolution, less weight, faster focus speed, better colour etc etc... there are many factors to a lenses ability/value...
Like the DA*55 before it was handled and actualy tested :
( Pentax Lens: Primes - Pentax 55mm f/1.4 SDM SMC DA* (Tested) - SLRgear.com!)

let's not jump to conclusions yet..

03-04-2009, 04:12 AM   #38
Veteran Member

i wish Pentax would come out with a lens i could use
03-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
i wish Pentax would come out with a lens i could use
What is your application that Pentax doesn't offer a solution for? I think there are plenty who are attracted to the new DA15/4.
03-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #40
Inactive Account

$650 is not bad for a lens like the DA15 Ltd. Look at the competition and you'll see why. If the DA15 is as good or better than the DA14 I'll buy it.

DA 15, 35 and 70 are on my list for the future.
03-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I would have preferred a f/4.5 lens, for even lighter and more compact size. But if it is good, I'll go for it
Wow, I am totally the opposite. I would wish for something not so slow, even if it was a bit bigger. All of the DA Limiteds are too slow for me.

This is a good point for those that use filters. It hadn't crossed my mind.

If the IQ on this one stands up it will be a very popular lens I am sure. Lots of zooms will be picking up dust on the shelf!
03-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #42
Veteran Member

nikonian friend of mine says nikonians are drooling jealously over DA15, nobody really expected that lens, especially not from pentax. that made me smile.
03-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Wow, I am totally the opposite. I would wish for something not so slow, even if it was a bit bigger. All of the DA Limiteds are too slow for me. ........................
DA14/2,8, is fast, but i agree about a fast DA18/2.
Later on a no fisheye 10mm can come too ...
For me, DA15/4 limited is perfect except the price is to high, i guess on 950$ in Sweden
03-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yet another f4 lens from Pentax. Why do they do that?
03-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Yet another f4 lens from Pentax. Why do they do that?
I agree. Why so slow for a prime?