Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2009, 04:53 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yup..that's right.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax lenses (made in Vietnam) are also rebranded and sold as the Schneider Kreuznach D-Xenon and D-Xenogon lenses for the Samsung DSLRs.
Quote from Wikipedia

03-03-2009, 04:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
The 14.6Mp Samsung sensor was the factor that made K20D stand out of the crowd. I'm afraid Pentax are not the first in line, if they goes back to Sony sensors again. So, I'm afraid this would turn Pentax into a Me to company.

As far as I know, the main limiting factor of the fps of the K20D isn't the sensor but, the shutter mechanism. If this is true or not, doesn't really matter. Samsung can easily make it faster, if they want to.
According to some rather credible rumors, Samsung are working on a better version of the 14.6Mp CMOS sensor as we speak. The rumours are that Samsung will use this in the NX. If that's true, then we can probably ecpect some major speed improvements from the sensor it self.
This is all true. I think just the same..

quote: The fps is not faster becasue pentax say that it will cost more, and they wanted to keep the costs low.

On the other hand, I don't see the problem!

Very fast fps fills the memorycard very fast, will make it imposible for pentax to use SDHC card becasue of the speed.
The accuricy will be better ( I read a thread about Canon mark II 5d where every 4:th photo become unsharp!! (when do continueing shooting) :S .

An other positive thing is that the shutter will last longer if the shutter speed is lower!

The only improvement I would like to see is a little bit faster AF maybe, but I don't mind too much...and this not effect the fps speed ether

SO faster FPS....naah, we are photographers and timing is important and a key to be a good photographer. The camera can't always do "our" job!

Any person that have look it in this way too?

-Emil
03-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I agree that 3fps is enough. I don't need more fps.
But I want a larger buffer and faster processing of files/information. And maybe two SDHC card slots?

Higher fps means better, faster & stronger shutter mechanism, and we get a Pentax dSLR in a much higher price range than we like.
03-03-2009, 05:05 AM   #19

I beleive the Wikipedia author has been mislead.

The lenses sold by Samsung, are labeled by Schneider Kreuznach. This does not make Schneider Kreuznach the maker of the lenses.
They may be produced in a Pentax owned plant, but more likely the production is sourced out to fourth more obscure company. Whatever the truth is, I'm convinced Schneider Kreuznach will do whatever that's in their power to keep that busines secret top secret. That's the nature of OEM, a smoke screen.

It is posible that Schneider Kreuznach is the owner of this obscure company. But that does not turn the Pentax lenses into Schneider Kreuznach lenses, and IMO it does not make Schneider Kreuznach a OEM maker.

03-03-2009, 05:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Carl Zeiss made the lens in my Sony P&S. I saw a picture of him in a sweat shop personally installing each element in every lens in every camera... He was looking very tired and even possibly dead.
03-03-2009, 05:17 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote

Higher fps means better, faster & stronger shutter mechanism
Not necessarily stronger.

I think it is like a car engine. A car engine can be tuned to high or low rpm. A high rpm tuned engine gives more power, but unfortunately it is less durable than the same engine tuned for lower power.
An engine can also be designed for high rpm in the first place. Alas the latter engine design is a high cost product.
03-03-2009, 05:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Faster shutters are a matter of more precision. Most shutters are made by either Copal or Seiko. From what I understand, Pentax uses one made by Copal. It's all how much money a company wants to devote to the shutter mechanism as opposed to imaging processing, etc.

03-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #23
Pentaxian

What a stupid Samsung website... The FA 35mm f/2 is described as:

"D-XENON 35mm Fixed Focus Lens
Fixed Focus Lens, great for portraits"

Yeah, like this lens has no focusing mechanism and is really suited for portraits??? Samsung still has to learn a lot about REAL photography

By the way, is the color of the coating of the lenses a give-away of the manufacturer? The last Pentax lenses I have seen also have this greenish coating. I don't see Schneider-Kreuznach fabricating AF lenses and Samsung does not have a lens factory so I have the idea that Pentax is involved. They'll let Samsung test the waters and then sell a similar body when the time is ripe...
03-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't see Schneider-Kreuznach fabricating AF lenses and Samsung does not have a lens factory so I have the idea that Pentax is involved. They'll let Samsung test the waters and then sell a similar body when the time is ripe...
That pancake lens on the NX photos - maybe it's a DA40 redesigned to fit the shorter registration distance? The front lens element sits quite deep on the DA40 (and not so on the photos of the NX with pancake lens), so it doesn't seem quite impossible that it could be the same construction!
03-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
That pancake lens on the NX photos - maybe it's a DA40 redesigned to fit the shorter registration distance? The front lens element sits quite deep on the DA40 (and not so on the photos of the NX with pancake lens), so it doesn't seem quite impossible that it could be the same construction!
Indeed. When I saw that lens for the first time everytyhing about it yelled "DA 40" to me. So who knows.
03-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What a stupid Samsung website... The FA 35mm f/2 is described as:

"D-XENON 35mm Fixed Focus Lens
Fixed Focus Lens, great for portraits"

Yeah, like this lens has no focusing mechanism and is really suited for portraits??? Samsung still has to learn a lot about REAL photography
That is pretty funny. I'd guess it's partly a translation problem, and someone not realizing that there is a huge difference between "fixed focus" and "fixed focal length." Of course this doesn't explain billing a 35mm lens on APS-C as a 'portrait' lens.
03-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I'm still not convinced it is a lens at all. I think it's a wide-converter less the contact points - more or less a mock-up at this point. I noticed at DPReview that during the hands-on preview a day before the show, the camera was mysteriously absent. A wide-converter would shorten the distance optically and keep the small size. Also notice how small that front element is. What DX lens has an element that small?
03-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
I'm still not convinced it is a lens at all.
Me to.
Perhaps it is just the beginning of a lens to show how it looks, roughly.
The presented images are just a design study.
03-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #29
Veteran Member

All I'm saying is, take a look at a teleconverter and compare it to what is considered the pancake lens on the NX. Minus the contacts and the two look very similar. It wouldn't be a teleconverter, but a wideconverter - still it resembles a converter more than a lens.
03-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

For what it's worth...

Its a dummy lens... they want to highlight the body. Besides at this point the body is non-functional.

SK lenses are only a name licensed to Samsung. Samsung wants to set their lenses apart from Pentax. Its only a nameplate... and the lenses are Pentax, 100% made in Pentax Vietnam lens factory.