Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hoya/Pentax and Samsung Techwin

There's been alot of talk about PMA and new products from both Hoya/Pentax and Samsung. So I ask these question's...

Is there any proof that Hoya/Pentax is cooperating with Samsung Techwin?
If so, where can we find information about this? A link would be great

Or did the Pentax/Samsung Techwin business deal ended with the K20D/GX-20 dSLR and the Hoya/Pentax merger?
If so, why should Samsung Techwin come out with dSLR with K-mount?

They could come up with their own mount, like Sigma did with their SA mount.
Does Schneider Kreuznach make lenses for Samsung Techwin? Maybe they are Samsung branded now and not copy's of Pentax lenses?

QuoteQuote:
Pentax

Pentax Corporation—which became Hoya’s consolidated
subsidiary in the second half of the fiscal year—posted net sales of
89.0 billion and operating loss of 134 million. The EPK-i series
endoscope system that went on sale in the United States in May
2007 contributed to the sales increase. Also making a substantial
contribution were sales of the digital SLR camera Pentax K10D,
which earned three major global camera awards, evincing its
strong popularity in Japan and other countries.
In the half-year following consolidation, the Company
reaffirmed the promise and growth potential of medical
endoscopes as key devices essential to the medical field. Going
forward, we expect doctors’ needs to become more sophisticated
and complex, encompassing the ability to not only view the
inside of patients’ bodies, but to actually diagnose and treat the
abnormalities discovered. We are proceeding with expansion in
the medical endoscope field, including treatment tools for use
with endoscopes, and other peripheral equipment.
Concerning the digital camera business, we are focusing on
digital SLR cameras, targeting mainly high amateur users
, and some
business segments are already experiencing numerical performance
gains thanks to business narrowing and selection, strategic
product mixes and the establishment of new sales channels.
Our initial goal is to boost the operating margin of the Pentax
businesses—primarily medical devices and digital cameras—
non-inclusive of goodwill expenses, to 18% for the next three
years.
From the PDF file:"To Our Stakeholders".

Last edited by NorthPentax; 03-03-2009 at 01:02 AM.
03-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
179 viewers and no one knows?
I guess most of you are "guess'ers" and prefer to spread false rumors A.K.A. "troll's".
03-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
179 viewers and no one knows?
I guess most of you are "guess'ers" and prefer to spread false rumors A.K.A. "troll's".
And what about you? Share with us your knowledgeable contribution, please.

RuiC
03-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
And what about you? Share with us your knowledgeable contribution, please.

RuiC
If Hoya/Pentax don't cooperate with Samsung Techwin, why do people post news and rumors about Samsung products in a Pentax forum?

I want to know, that's why I ask. It seems that people here know since they expect that Samsung will release dSLR's with K-mount. They dream about a Samsung FF dSLR with K-mount and Samsung micro-K and Pentax pancake primes that would fit perfectly with this new "thing".

So I want to know, do Hoya/Pentax collaborate with Samsung Techwin on their upcoming dSLR projects/releases?

Are people sure Samsung will release dSLR with K-mount?

03-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Does Schneider Kreuznach make lenses for Samsung Techwin? Maybe they are Samsung branded now and not copy's of Pentax lenses?
Good post and spot on. It sure looks to me like Samsung is heading out in their own direction without Pentax. I'm not giving up hope just yet so I'll hang on to my Pentax glass for a little longer.
03-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think Samsung pays for production of the lenses and then S-K tests the lenses to make sure they meet certain minimum requirements. If they do Samsung is allowed to brand the lenses with the S-K name. If I remember correctly the lenses are all manufactured in the Pentax Vietnam plant.
03-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah kind of like how Honeywell made their own bodies and lenses along with JC Penny and Sears. They all had them tested independently to make sure they were up to spec.
03-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #8

I think you can relax NorthPentax

There is nothing in the original agrement that sugested that the two companies should release the same models forever.

The agrement was about exchange of technology. No more no less. For some periode Samsung has been releasing rebadget Pentax cameraes and lenses. This could obviously not go on for ever. They where simply canibalising each others markets, and Samsung was not contributing much to the cooperation until they started producing the 14,6Mp CMOS sensor. Samsung really needed to take a grip on the situation, and release their own camera models. Now it seem they will do. IMO thats good news for Pentax.

So I think you have no reason to be alarmed by the differenses. On the contrary I see this as a sign of two healthy companies making advantages of the cooperation.

03-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There's been alot of talk about PMA and new products from both Hoya/Pentax and Samsung. So I ask these question's...

Is there any proof that Hoya/Pentax is cooperating with Samsung Techwin?
If so, where can we find information about this? A link would be great
No and good luck finding any... see below
Or did the Pentax/Samsung Techwin business deal ended with the K20D/GX-20 dSLR and the Hoya/Pentax merger?
Contracts were in place and ran past the aquisition. Were they extended or did they expire now???... see below.
Again good luck.
If so, why should Samsung Techwin come out with dSLR with K-mount?
samsung owners already have K mount lenses. Not a real good idea to throw out your user base though they may have to for lenses w/ out aperature rings..
They could come up with their own mount, like Sigma did with their SA mount.
Not likely though samsung wants you to believe this...

Samsung has been the master at dis-information. Even blatantly stating that all their lenses (at the time) were Schneider and not Pentax.
Hoya/Pentax are the masters at just saying nothing.
Due to cultural hostilities it is difficult to get Korean/Japanese co-operation to begin with. At one point very early in the "relationship" is was believed Samsung would start manufacturing cameras in their own facilities. Never happened and the Hoya merger pretty well shook up a lot of Pentaxes plans.
From outside looking in, it has been rocky since day 1 and has not gotten any better. One of Hoya's concerns during the merger was Pentax's contracts w/ "outside companies". This somewhat was apparently targeted at Samsung.
the last "polite" comment between the 2 companies seems to imply neither is really comfortable with each other and even argued over the pricing scheme (forgot if it was the K10 or 20). Marriage of convience at best and either could head for a divorce at any time.
The K mount is open game for anyone to use. KA and variants is another story.
Samsung could easily create a new digital K mount with or without Pentax.
Samsungs market would probably not include Japan and I BELIEVE the k20 Samsung sensor held back sales in japan. One of the reasons to go back to Sony.
what happens from now is anybodies guess (nobody's talking).... last "rumblings" is Samsung will do micro APS-C and full frame. Pentax.. whatever...
03-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
I think you can relax NorthPentax
I am relaxed

QuoteQuote:
There is nothing in the original agrement that sugested that the two companies should release the same models forever.
That's why I ask, it seems some of us think just that. I don't care about Samsung.

QuoteQuote:
The agrement was about exchange of technology. No more no less. For some periode Samsung has been releasing rebadget Pentax cameraes and lenses. This could obviously not go on for ever. They where simply canibalising each others markets, and Samsung was not contributing much to the cooperation until they started producing the 14,6Mp CMOS sensor. Samsung really needed to take a grip on the situation, and release their own camera models. Now it seem they will do. IMO thats good news for Pentax.
Samsung's dSLR was 90% Pentax and 10% Samsung.
I rather see Hoya/Pentax buy CMOS sensors from Sony and get much better/faster processing speed in their dSLR's.
Since I have both Pentax and Sigma, I would like to see them collaberate with future dSLR models with KA-mount. One model with bayer sensor and one with Foveon sensor

QuoteQuote:
So I think you have no reason to be alarmed by the differenses. On the contrary I see this as a sign of two healthy companies making advantages of the cooperation.
I'm only alarmed by all the Samsung posts when we don't know anything. The few Samsung product I have, is one LCD TV and one CMOS sensor inside my K20D
03-03-2009, 01:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Schneider Kreuznach does not make any DSLR lenses.
Schneider Kreuznach only gave the brand name.
03-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
From Wikipedia:

QuoteQuote:
They also make a limited amount of small- and medium-format lenses, and have, at various times, manufactured eyeglasses and camera rangefinders, and are currently an OEM lens maker for Kodak and Samsung digital cameras.
03-03-2009, 04:28 AM   #13

I rather see Hoya/Pentax buy CMOS sensors from Sony and get much better/faster processing speed in their dSLR's.
The 14.6Mp Samsung sensor was the factor that made K20D stand out of the crowd. I'm afraid Pentax are not the first in line, if they goes back to Sony sensors again. So, I'm afraid this would turn Pentax into a Me to company.

As far as I know, the main limiting factor of the fps of the K20D isn't the sensor but, the shutter mechanism. If this is true or not, doesn't really matter. Samsung can easily make it faster, if they want to.
According to some rather credible rumors, Samsung are working on a better version of the 14.6Mp CMOS sensor as we speak. The rumours are that Samsung will use this in the NX. If that's true, then we can probably ecpect some major speed improvements from the sensor it self.
03-03-2009, 04:41 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That's good news.

Too bad they don't use CMOS in the new X70 and K-m...
Isn't CMOS alot better and cooler* than CCD sensors?

*thinking about temperature, not the IT/COOL factor of the sensor
03-03-2009, 04:46 AM   #15

they said digital lenses. could be any lenses, from their movie, to still, to phone (though i think LG's got SK lenses)

Look at the "Schneider" 18-55 F3.5-5.6 that comes with the Kit GX20. Look familiar? hell, look at all the lenses on this page. Seriously. I've never seen an SK 35mm F2 lens that looks like the FA35. And why does an SK lens for an APS-C crop camera (as samsung have never had Film/FF DSLRs) have an Aperture ring, just like the FA35?

They're rebadged Pentax lenses, certified by SK, made in Vietnam.