Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #61
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My two cents.....

I have read all of these posts, everyone seems to have a point of view that coincides with their specific desires or needs, which is not surprising.
For me, I am currently very satisfied with my K20D and actually appreciate the extra time I have with it to learn it better before a new model is released. I guess that is "suiting my needs". It will also keep my cash available for other needs, and in this troubled economy, a little extra cash is most welcome.
I have no doubt the next body will be a nice upgrade, and most likely have a few very pleasant surprises too. Instead of looking forward, I look back at my first DSLR, the DS and remember the anticipation of "something improved". We were all pleasantly surprised by the K10D, a stunning upgrade IMO. Then we waited for the next "improvement" and the K20D gave us the new Samsung sensor, and a whole bag of really great improvements we had not expected. So, all in all, Pentax has not let me down over the past few years, and I don't think they will in the future either. The key to my optimism is the past, and the current trend of third party lens mfg's that are providing more and more Pentax glass. They are investing in the future of Pentax when they do this, and I bet they know more than old Rupert.

03-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Hmmm. My K10D is just the right size.
Not me. I would like it to be 3-4 mm smaller and lighter.

RuiC
03-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure it's the right strategy but Nikon, Sony and Canon will probably release their high-end APS-C replacements by the end of the year. If Pentax releases its high-end camera too soon, in 6 months we will have whinners that will ask what Pentax will do to counter the new D400, A800, 60D or whatever... because the K30D will already looks old by then.

Now I think they should release a slightly improved K20D or K200D and do some sort of refresh. Because we are now in the odd situation that the entry-level model has a faster AF and more fps than the high-end model... Otherwise the K20D is still competitive with its 14.6MP sensor.
03-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I hope you are right but have not seen anything official to confirm what you are saying. Great rumors and that unit would get my money but again just rumors at this point.
if they will get a sensor from Samsung that probably will be the same sensor that Samsung is going to put in NX and as such it will support faster readout, etc...

03-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Hoya-Pentax said Minor improvements due for 2009

What ever the improvements are for K20D it's already been said they are "minor".

Theres no mystery for me, any new 2009 Pentax dslr will come with minor improvements and at full issue price. Those with a K10D CCD sensor or lesser cameras should buy a K20D CMOS sensor to satisfy them when K30D launches at full price. I like my K20D but for me it was a major improvement over my Pentax DS2 Clone purchase from 2006. Maybe all the manufacturers are holding off the next wave of dslrs for new windows operting system launch due this winter? I'm happy I'm paid up on my Adobe Lightroom 2.2 , CS4 and my old XP computer as IT ALL works Great with K20D, D700, and 5D.

Sure we'll have a couple dozen or more new threads debating what these "minor" improvements will be for K20D. I'll start, maybe 1 extra frame per second. No way it would be more than 1 frame per second more as I think that would be "major". Dual card slots, not minor, thats major too. 100% viewfinder or bigger like E3 offers, not minor thats major also. so whats left to add thats "minor"?

By the way, I've got a K20d in my B&H shopping cart for $709. Is that a heck of a deal? for me, not quite yet to add a 2nd one as its Still $20 More than I paid in November 2008 but I think overall its a good deal & no where near what a minor improved upon K20D will issue at. Wanna guess that buy~in number? I'd say above K20D launch of $1,299 and maybe more like $1,499. If I'm right, then thats alot of extra coin for an additional 1 frame per second and bundled software for compatibility with new Windows 7 operating system. I'd say more than a global recession its that darn Windows 7 opertating sytem the has plugged up the new dslr pipeline for Pentax and most everyone else.

SO Thats my Best Guess. But still just a guess which is just a valid as any other pentaxian's guess except I specifically built it around the publically stated:

"Minor Dslr Improvements for 2009"

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I'm not sure it's the right strategy but Nikon, Sony and Canon will probably release their high-end APS-C replacements by the end of the year. If Pentax releases its high-end camera too soon, in 6 months we will have whinners that will ask what Pentax will do to counter the new D400, A800, 60D or whatever... because the K30D will already looks old by then.

Now I think they should release a slightly improved K20D or K200D and do some sort of refresh. Because we are now in the odd situation that the entry-level model has a faster AF and more fps than the high-end model... Otherwise the K20D is still competitive with its 14.6MP sensor.

Last edited by Samsungian; 03-04-2009 at 09:54 AM.
03-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #66
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I hope the minor "improvements" don't include higher pixel count in an APS-C sensor unless there is some new sensor technology that we haven't seen yet. I think pixel density is maxed out for APS-C. (for the record, I don't see much real benefit to FF either.)
03-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
What Pentax so far has revealed regarding the "K30D" is this:

- new AF software
- new AF hardware
- 14 MP sensor, improved
- changed body size
- 4.5/s speed
- improved lifeview (not sure)
This would be superb. If AF improves significantly, my Nikon system may wither and possibly hit the marketplace section at fire-sale prices

And 4.5fps is more than enough for me, being that I almost never even use the 3fps now. Some may want 6fps, ala the Canon 40D, but let me tell you, 5 blurry shots and one keeper vs. one blurry shot and two keepers still gives the edge to Pentax there....

Not sure about the body size change, though - really like the K20D body the way it is now.

Hopefully the Liveview will be more usable - I don't think I used it after the first month I had the K20D.

03-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #68

Might we be able to interpolate some possible future DSLR changes from the x70 specs? such as 33mb internal memory plus sd/hc. How does that compare to the k20's buffer, anybody know? or statements of improved autofocus tracking? how about ISO performance? Maybe there is more to the x70 as far as potential r&d for DSLR's that may give us a hint at the future. Then again maybe not.
03-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #69
ogl
Banned

Agreed. fast new AF, 4.5 fps and 18-20 RAW - it's more than enough.
03-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I hope you are right but have not seen anything official to confirm what you are saying. Great rumors and that unit would get my money but again just rumors at this point.
My sentiments exactly. These specs sound exactly like what would make me upgrade from my K10D.

I hope the "K30D" remains at 14MP. The fact that the NX's sensor is supposed to be exactly that points in that direction, at least.

Like mattdm, I find my K10D (and therefore the K20D) to be just the right size. I probably would not be a show-stopper if the new camera was a bit smaller, but I hope they don't sacrifice ergonomics just for the sake of being smaller (the K-m is not a bad handling camera, but it *is* too small for my tastes).
03-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
As for me any stabilization is lottery and crutch for user.
I do not pay the SR money each time I take a shot, with only a 1 in a million chance of it doing so... thus I do not consider it a lottery. It is a reliable feature that helps me take better shots.

A crutch? Yes, I guess so, as it is kind of like having a monopod with you at all times, without the weight, bulk, or bother.
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shuie Quote
Might we be able to interpolate some possible future DSLR changes from the x70 specs? such as 33mb internal memory plus sd/hc. How does that compare to the k20's buffer, anybody know? or statements of improved autofocus tracking? how about ISO performance? Maybe there is more to the x70 as far as potential r&d for DSLR's that may give us a hint at the future. Then again maybe not.
Hope not.
A 33MB internal memory would be able to store 1 raw file, and let's not even talk about ISO performance...
03-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #73

Photos: Albums
If the quote about "minor improvements" is that same one from a Hoya spokesman last year, then you are again taking it in a way that it was not necessarily meant. The quote is somewhat ambiguous at best, but to me the most likely meaning seemed to be that Pentax will be introducing three new DSLRs in 2009, if you include models that are only minor upgrades. This implies that the number is less than three (probably one or two, although possibly zero ) if you are only talking about completely new models or major upgrades, not that no new models or major upgrades will be released.

Basically, we still don't know what exactly is in the pipe other than knowing there is at least one camera planned that will be a minor upgrade. The medium format camera to be released in Japan could be the only thing that is not a minor upgrade. On the other hand, it may not even figure in to the statement because it may be slated for 2010, or it may not have been revived yet when this quote was made. There's no point in saying that Hoya said there would be nothing but minor upgrades this year, because there was no such definitive statement. We'll just have to wait and see.
03-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #74
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
A crutch? Yes, I guess so, as it is kind of like having a monopod with you at all times, without the weight, bulk, or bother.
clever. wonder if he'll pick-up on the analogy.
03-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Neither Nikon nor Canon released anything major at PMA, certainly not a DSLR. How can Pentax being playing catch up already when the PMA offered nothing groundbreaking and new and was glaringly low key?

So, the new rumour is the 645D will be at least under glass, if not on the table at a Tokyo show this summer...most probably accompanied by a DSLR body or two that people will actually buy. Minor improvements, or the next generation DSLR, let's all just be patient and enjoy our Gallo in the meanwhile....no whines before their time.

Jason