Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Official: No News Re DSLR until Summer

Nachrichten - Division Imaging Systems - PENTAX Europe GmbH

It's in German, but I can translate roughly.

QuoteQuote:
Alle Freunde des PENTAX System, die zur PMA Neuigkeiten zum Nachfolgemodell der K20D erwarten, müssen wir bis zum Sommer vertrösten.Vorher wird nicht mit Informationen zu neuen SLR Kameras gerechnet.
All the fans of the Pentax system that were awaiting PMA developments and news about the successor to the K20D will have to wait until summer. Before then, no information regarding the new SLR models will be released (or: can be expected.)

Make of it what you will, but I'm ok with Pentax taking a few more months.

And honestly, at least Hoya's being candid enough to give us a rough-time frame.

We know the next dSLR is coming. They know it's coming. Hoya knows we know.

We just need to wait.

03-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Until demonstrated otherwise, No News Is Good News.

RuiC
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Seems the same for many companies at the moment. Sony announced the same. I'm just hoping from them for more glass.
03-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Until demonstrated otherwise, No News Is Good News.

RuiC
Agreed. That there's a follow-up model to the K20D at all is good news.

03-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Kei

No problem, money goes to new glasses I'm still more than happy with my k200d and and FAR from mastering the camera.
03-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax: Successor to K20D will be announced in summer 2009

I had initially posted this concurrently with ewalk but now delete my thread and now post it here:
--
Dear friends,

I didn't see this news when browsing through our forum. On the PMA news page of Pentax Germany, I am just reading this text:
QuoteOriginally posted by Website Pentax Germany:
Alle Freunde des PENTAX System, die zur PMA Neuigkeiten zum Nachfolgemodell der K20D erwarten, müssen wir bis zum Sommer vertrösten.Vorher wird nicht mit Informationen zu neuen SLR Kameras gerechnet.
In more modern Saxon:
QuoteOriginally posted by Website Pentax Germany:
To all friends of the Pentax system who have been waiting for a K20D successor announced at PMA: we must put you off until summer. Before that, no new information about new SLR cameras is to be expected.
Sounds like they are holding back information. Or they may just make sure we stay patient...

(Sorry if this wasn't news, actually).

EDIT:
Oh, I was too slow in typing and translating this...

Nevertheless, I am keeping my post for this reason:

The term "vertrösten" in German language implies the promise that there WILL be news in summer.
03-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Falconeye!

It's a bit late in Germany right now to be posting, isn't it? Or a bit early?

Good to have a few more German speakers around!

Viele Grüße,
Erik

03-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
It's a bit late in Germany right now to be posting, isn't it?
That's the best time of the day. Absolutely nobody disturbing me

Where are you from? No location in your profile...

EDIT:
The German text seems to be from 00:30 CET.
03-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, my K10D still works fine...However, I don't mind upgrading, but I would need more improvements than what the K20D offers. Summer is not long to wait, and even if that camera doesn't offer what I want, my K10D would still be taking pictures that I like...so it's ok with me, even though I really wanted to see a new DSLR at PMA.
03-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That would put them on about an 18 month product cycle which sounds ok. My guess is that the recent price incentive was to clear out stock and "test the waters" to probe the soft underbelly of the consumer.

mmm, underbelly...
03-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
That would put them on about an 18 month product cycle which sounds ok.
Yeah, definitely. In fact, an 18 month lifecycle is preferable for my budget anyway. I'd just like to be reassured that it really will be an ongoing cycle, not just varying arbitrary periods with no certain direction.

This statement seems good, although it pretty carefully stops short of actually promising that there will be something after we wait until summer. I'd like to hear if the "three new models, including [or maybe not including — the translation was unclear] minor upgrades" is still the plan, just delayed, or if everything is being rethought. I understand the corporate appeal of playing the cards close to the chest, but it makes me feel less like a loyal Pentaxian and more like a fickle consumer.

And I want my weathersealed normal prime, dammit.
03-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Absolutely Perfect IMO

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote

It's in German, but I can translate roughly.

All the fans of the Pentax system that were awaiting PMA developments and news about the successor to the K20D will have to wait until summer. Before then, no information regarding the new SLR models will be released (or: can be expected.)

Make of it what you will, but I'm ok with Pentax taking a few more months.

And honestly, at least Hoya's being candid enough to give us a rough-time frame.

We know the next dSLR is coming. They know it's coming. Hoya knows we know.

We just need to wait.
Gives plenty of users time to save up more money for the new camera. PMA this year was a bust. I canceled even going this time around.

Summer is going to be much more interesting than PMA by more than one company.

Carl
03-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
ogl
Banned

The weakest PMA for Pentax...Alas...
Will DA lenses stop?
03-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #14

Why would the lenses stop, when they're already said they're gonna unveil something in Summer? Think, people!
03-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Yeah, definitely. In fact, an 18 month lifecycle is preferable for my budget anyway. I'd just like to be reassured that it really will be an ongoing cycle, not just varying arbitrary periods with no certain direction.

This statement seems good, although it pretty carefully stops short of actually promising that there will be something after we wait until summer. I'd like to hear if the "three new models, including [or maybe not including — the translation was unclear] minor upgrades" is still the plan, just delayed, or if everything is being rethought. I understand the corporate appeal of playing the cards close to the chest, but it makes me feel less like a loyal Pentaxian and more like a fickle consumer.

And I want my weathersealed normal prime, dammit.
Well, Matt, I think any cycle is likely to slow down right now for any company: I was kind of hoping Pentax had some things in the pipeline that were ready to show... from my point of view, they really need to show willing, here.

If we're to determine from what we hear via one overseas distributor (and these sources tend to vary pretty badly in terms of what they know or say,) and not even know if there's another period of silence maybe followed by... Nothing or not much, ... well, that's annoying. But the actual show hasn't started, hopefully there will be something a little more definite, at least.

I'm expecting to be sticking with the K20d for some time, anyway, but it does affect certain decisions, in terms of knowing what upgrades may entail, (even, 'Hey, if Penta plans to stick with these focusing screens, maybe there'll be more coming out at some point) ...even just what accessories might be portable if I do need an upgrade, etc.

Not too fond of the complete silence, in that regard.