Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #1

Did anyone notice this? (New Sigma lenses)

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but this is an interesting bit of information:

"This lens features a new Optical Stabilization unit which Sigma claims will work on Sony and Pentax bodies with in-body stabilization systems. "

Sigma unveils 18-50mm f2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM lens: Digital Photography Review

I'm guessing they mean you can disable in-body SR to enable the Sigma one? And/or vice versa?

I seriously doubt that they mean the two types of stabilization will work together.

Last edited by Maxington; 03-02-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Typo.
03-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For their 50-200mm I saw this line:

For Sony and Pentax mounts he built-in OS System operates in conjunction with a camera body equipped with an anti-shake function and can be used as an alternative with cameras having built-in image stabilization.

Looks like an either - or thing.
03-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
In other words, they leave the OS system in the lenses, and charge you for it, even if you don't need it.

03-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
or you can try both and see what works better...glass is half full?

03-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
,snip....glass is half full?
The glass is not half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.
03-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Is there really a need for IS in a 18-50?? I had always thought the nod went to lens-based for the longer tele lenses, but was a draw for the normals and short telephotos. How much is a FA50mm 1.4 going for now and this new kit replacement?
03-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi

I can see there's gonna be some potential for infighting here....lol !

Pentax Body: Naff orf, I'm in charge of SR.....

Sigma Lens: Oh no you're not......just take a gander at my superior OS....

Pentax Body: Well, we'll soon see who's in charge, won't we.....

Big punch-up inevitably ensues.....

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-02-2009 at 09:23 PM.
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
Is there really a need for IS in a 18-50?? I had always thought the nod went to lens-based for the longer tele lenses, but was a draw for the normals and short telephotos.
I'd prefer to use the word "handy" rather than "needed" when speaking of stabilisation at any focal length.

Even if you're steady enough to hand hold 10mm for 1sec without stabilisation it's still "handy" to get another 2-3 stops from the inbody shake reduction.

bazz.

03-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
I'd prefer to use the word "handy" rather than "needed" when speaking of stabilisation at any focal length.

Even if you're steady enough to hand hold 10mm for 1sec without stabilisation it's still "handy" to get another 2-3 stops from the inbody shake reduction.

bazz.
This, I wouldn't be sure of. I *am* darn steady much of the time, and when I'm on it in that way, I think I get similar effects to the issue where SR actually fouls shots when on a tripod cause there isn't enough motion to detect and correct for, so it 'hunts' and looks for some. It's great to have the SR for longer stuff and when I'm *not* so steady, but, a lot of the time the really nice fit and ergonomics and the soft release and the littler mirror are what'll give me a couple-few stops over what I normally expect to get away with.

Stabilization needs to see what it's correcting for, and when it can't, it might correct randomly. So, I wouldn't expect those 'bonuses to stack' if you combined two IS systems.
03-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #10

I don't understand the market of this lens. I can't even tell if its a entry level lens.

OK you get a zoom that starts out at 4.5 in the other end. Don't people buy that kind of lens only care about superzooms? Unless its a cheap kit lens to low ball the entry body+lens combo, in which case why add IS?

Who are the target audiance of this lens?
03-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
I don't understand the market of this lens. I can't even tell if its a entry level lens.

OK you get a zoom that starts out at 4.5 in the other end. Don't people buy that kind of lens only care about superzooms? Unless its a cheap kit lens to low ball the entry body+lens combo, in which case why add IS?

Who are the target audiance of this lens?
I suppose a lot depends on some combination of what it can do, how much it costs, and how big it is. All we can seem to tell is it's about a stop faster than kit. Could be for a 'niceish entry level market.' Have to wonder if the redundant-for-Pentax-and-Sony IS is there to actually do anything or just about money and coincidentally probably pleasing major manufacturers that it *isn't cheaper* for said in-body-stabilized cams.
03-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
In other words, they leave the OS system in the lenses, and charge you for it, even if you don't need it.

Judging for the prices and features before between mounts, it was the other way around. They gave the same lenses for the same prices but without OS or HSM.
But now they migh charge extra aswell .
03-03-2009, 02:02 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi

I can see there's gonna be some potential for infighting here....lol !

Pentax Body: Naff orf, I'm in charge of SR.....

Sigma Lens: Oh no you're not......just take a gander at my superior OS....
It could end up with an agreement:

Pentax Body: OK, let's share the task. Your time during framing, my job when shooting, so OS-ed viewfinder and SR-ed shoot.

Sigma Lens: I agree. I am going to take the same price for the user even if OS weren't there, so it could be an alternative or partially useful system.
03-03-2009, 04:24 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I hope Sigma will release all their lenses(K-mount) with both OS and HSM, especially those lenses over 200mm.
03-03-2009, 04:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

That's what they're saying.