Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #16

The blue/red ones look pretty good to me.

It's a shame that the new 14-150 and 7-14 is gona be around 1000(euro?usd?)

And I thought wide angle lenses were supposed to be easier to make.

03-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
It's not the worst camera I've ever seen. That lens has to leave though...small cam with huge lens equals design fail
This Pana 10X super zoom lens is still smaller than any APS-C 10X zoom for the size.
03-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
"Standard" lenses are easier to make and thus they are cheaper. Wide or tele lenses are more costly.
03-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Regarding the design and typography of this thing: I really wish they would dump the stupid "LUMIX" name. Not only is the logo unprintably ugly, the name is completely arbitrary and meaningless. You are Panasonic, write Panasonic on your cameras if you want anyone to take you seriously. I'm not a marketing guy but I'm pretty sure this is not the way to do things.

03-04-2009, 01:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Not Really

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Regarding the design and typography of this thing: I really wish they would dump the stupid "LUMIX" name. Not only is the logo unprintably ugly, the name is completely arbitrary and meaningless. You are Panasonic, write Panasonic on your cameras if you want anyone to take you seriously. I'm not a marketing guy but I'm pretty sure this is not the way to do things.
LUMIX is the name of camera line of Panasonic.

Ditto Panasonic *was* the name of AV line of National/Matsushita.

And, more importantly, PENTAX was the name of SLR family of the Asahi Optical Company. Penta=Pentaprism X=refleX.

So, it is exactly "the way of doing things" here! :-)

Now, PENTAX is again no different from LUMIX, it is the name of camera line of the HOYA Corporation. (Do you think it should print "HOYA" on our cameras instead of PENTAX, if it is exactly what you think?)
03-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
(Do you think it should print "HOYA" on our cameras instead of PENTAX, if it is exactly what you think?)
Not anymore than I think every General Motors car should be branded "General Motors". Who owns the brand is irrelevant.

The point here is that the Panasonic name is well-regarded while Lumix means nothing to the general consumer. I'm not really saying what they're doing should be shunned as a general practice, but in this particular case I just don't think it works. The branding is terrible, with a generic name, generic logo, and no history to go with it.

When I say "this is not the way to do it" I'm not saying it's unpredecented to do this sort of thing. However -- the reason it worked for Asahi was that the Pentax camera became a smash hit in the market place FIRST, and THEN they rebranded themselves after their most popular product. This is a smart marketing move.

Barging into the camera business, as a respected company, with a totally new brand no one cares about (with a butt ugly logo) is probably not. It's common that people refer to the G1 as the "Panasonic G1" despite it saying this nowhere on the actual camera. "Panasonic Lumix G1" is even more common, (where "Lumix" works as a model name, like "Canon Rebel XT") but barely anyone refers to it as just the "Lumix G1". That's a failure in branding.
03-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
"Standard" lenses are easier to make and thus they are cheaper. Wide or tele lenses are more costly.
Wides are very difficult to develop too....in a tele is a matter of making the longest focal lenght, using bigger lens elements to compensate light loss. The weight is the limit. Instead wide angles use very complex schemes, they are optical engineer's worst nightmare, or biggest glory.

03-04-2009, 02:12 AM   #23
Forum Member

Would have been better as a Burberry model

For the Chav market
03-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
Wides are very difficult to develop too....in a tele is a matter of making the longest focal lenght, using bigger lens elements to compensate light loss. The weight is the limit. Instead wide angles use very complex schemes, they are optical engineer's worst nightmare, or biggest glory.
It is supposedly easier (or at least, less of a compromise) to make good rangefinder/non-SLR wides (which applies to the G1) than SLR wides, though. SLR's need to compromise with a retrofocus element in the back as to not make the lens too long and bump into the mirror -- without a mirror you can get much closer to the film plane. I don't know a lot about optics but I'm pretty sure it should be easier to make wides for the G1 than for an SLR.
03-04-2009, 02:44 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by welshwizard645 Quote
Would have been better as a Burberry model

For the Chav market
So, they should make it WHITE, with a white camera, everyone will be easy to paint anything on it, for anything they like, just see:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Star Wars Stormtrooper K2000W LE ?

I think girls or children will love the Hello Kitty model, won't they?
03-04-2009, 04:29 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
It's not the worst camera I've ever seen. That lens has to leave though...small cam with huge lens equals design fail
I have a feeling the lens is smaller than it looks in this picture. This perspective is weird.
03-04-2009, 05:07 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
The blue/red ones look pretty good to me.

It's a shame that the new 14-150 and 7-14 is gona be around 1000(euro?usd?)

You are telling me the wide angle zoom will sell more than the Tokina 11-16 2.8 and in the neighborhood of Nikon 14-24mm 2.8 FF zoom?

If so I will wish m4/3 to fail.
03-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Hmm...dirt color....seems to fit its predecessor's IQ...

Frickin' bubble gum woulda' been a better color.
Oh, the shame! Pentax is supreme in IQ! All hail Pentax!

While I agree the G1 has some quibbles in IQ, it's not that far-off in quality compared to the K200D, unless one wants to pixel-peep, which I don't do as much lately (I'd rather judge resized images and prints, which is the final output of my images, anyway).

I hate to be the contrarian in all this, but no one manufacturer has a lock on good image quality.

That said, the color's not for me. But the gold LX is also appalling to look at, and I'm very partial towards the LX as a camera, at that.
03-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #29
Inactive Account

The red Lumix looks the best among the colors that it's offered in.

Last edited by bladerunner0427; 03-04-2009 at 10:43 PM.
03-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think it's that bad either. Better than red or blue, I think. Obviously many people prefer black or silver for their cameras, just as they do for their cars.

As for the desire for 'Apple Designers', if Apple designed our D-SLRs it would probably have one button and one stupid touch wheel--they frequently go in the direction of minimalistic (one-size-fits-everyone) design with clean aesthetics getting top priority. Don't get me wrong because I like some of what Apple does but sometimes tools work better when "ugly".