Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner0427 Quote
The red Lumix looks the best among the colors that it's offered in.
in.
If you like the red, that's cool. I have a similar red cover for my iPhone. Of the colors I've seen these in, the red and blue are the ones I would like least...I just can't see myself holding one of these up to my face while shooting. The bronze color, not so bad for me.

If a cameramaker is going to go beyond black & silver, having multiple choices is probably a good idea because the others will likely be more polarizing--for each color, some will love, some will hate.

03-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Someone should make customizable camera covers. And not Chinese ones, I mean OEM accessories.

I'd order mine to match my car...Honda G87P Dark Emerald Pearl Looks black at night, dark green in the sunlight...

But I think we'll be seeing more colors as the next couple years pass. Who said a camera must be black or silver?
03-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

is there anything metal on it?
03-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #34
Veteran Member

On the G1?

03-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
But I think we'll be seeing more colors as the next couple years pass. Who said a camera must be black or silver?
Please, lets hope the camera does not go the way of the cell phone by having ugly colors, blinking lights and 'bling' dangling off one side!
03-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 247nino Quote
is there anything metal on it?
The G1 and GH1 are all plastic shells. Nothing wrong with that. However, how resistant is that color coat to rubbing off?

Last edited by ajuett; 03-04-2009 at 03:02 PM.
03-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #37

Not only is the G1 available in red, there's a reddish looking Samsung NX mockup in pictures from the PMA show.

Why red?

Simple.

RED WUNZ IS FASTER!

03-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Please, lets hope the camera does not go the way of the cell phone by having ugly colors, blinking lights and 'bling' dangling off one side!
Not necessarily that far...although I'm more than pleased with the light-up side buttons on my Nokia N95. They only light when in picture or gallery modes.
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
The G1 and GH1 are all plastic shells. Nothing wrong with that. However, how resist is that color coat to rubbing off?
My old Canon Rebel was silver. There were a couple spots/scratches where you could see the black below. It will probably "brass" leaving the base color visible.

Although, I hope the newer plastic cams are molded in their color, but I know they're just painted like 95% of plastics out there.
03-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Regarding the design and typography of this thing: I really wish they would dump the stupid "LUMIX" name. Not only is the logo unprintably ugly, the name is completely arbitrary and meaningless. You are Panasonic, write Panasonic on your cameras if you want anyone to take you seriously. I'm not a marketing guy but I'm pretty sure this is not the way to do things.
I take the opposite opinion, actually. I think Sony ought to take the Sony name down off the prism housing and call the camera brand 'Alpha,' already.

I actually have much more positive associations for Panasonic as an electronics brand than Sony, and *still* prefer to call my little 'Panny' a Lumix. Kind of sounds cheesy, at first, but aren't most of the old classic brands just cheesy-to-Americans-sounding names we got used to?

Putting a consumer electronics company name on a camera prism is like renaming classic baseball parks after insurance companies. No soul to it.

'Lumix' has a nice tinge of nostalgia about it. (Stand back, lads, I am engaging the Venus Engine!) And I think the big problem with them coming out with all these colored cams isn't that they're colored, ...it's that they just look so nice in black.

I think the gold may be a bit over-the top, though.
03-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #40
Veteran Member

seeing this..

now i want a purple color too....

-------
03-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I suggest you'd better to reply on that thread instead of here, which is off-topic.
Now that you mention it, how much time have you spent with the K-m and GH1?
03-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #42
Site Supporter

The GH1 seems pretty impressive for an non dSLR camera.
03-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Like everyone else, they,re just trying to sell cameras. Trendy newcomers would probably think they're great, they do look kinda neat, although I still like black. ken
03-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The GH1 seems pretty impressive for an non dSLR camera.
I agree, its one of the best "wife camera" "mom camera" I ever seen. (I simply use this term to refer to people who don't know and don't want to learn photography. I am not really a sexist.)

It's a complete package too, being so fast to focus. And the video mode is so usable. Its a shame the exterior design is so conservative. They need a drastic departure from the traditional SLR look to attract new buyers.
03-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
I agree, its one of the best "wife camera" "mom camera" I ever seen. (I simply use this term to refer to people who don't know and don't want to learn photography. I am not really a sexist.)

It's a complete package too, being so fast to focus. And the video mode is so usable. Its a shame the exterior design is so conservative. They need a drastic departure from the traditional SLR look to attract new buyers.
Eh, don't worry about the sexism: I was kind of thinking 'lounge lizard drunk at the wedding camera.' of the gold Lumix, actually.

As for drastic departures from the SLR shape, this kind of happened with digital point and shoots and bridge cameras, when designers were first freed from the need to deal with film transport, and I recall much exuberant talk about how cameras need never be shaped the same again.... but over time they seem to have in general been trimmed back to the same basic shapes. Hands and eyes haven't changed.