Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those listings are the "lower end" of the Hassy/Mamiya 645s. The H3Dii-50 and the CF models range from $28K to $43K (or more).
There's nothing in that article to indicate any actual cost of the camera; just unadulterated speculation by the author: "We understand that Pentax Japan has decided to aim the camera at the high-end market, so it seems unlikely it will be an affordable, enthusiast-level, model." Based on that the sticker ($8K) of the D3X qualifies; that $20K guess by Samsungian in this thread came from where? That's all I was addressing with linking the prices of currently available MFs. Pentax launching back into the MF scene as a now "unknown" with a $20K body would be asking for failure.

And yes sure, they're all "cropped" sensors (approx. 48x36). But a 60x45mm may not be feasible for a while so it's moot. Nothing in that blurb indicates it is going to have a new unheard yet sensor.

I don't buy into those that need MF already have MF. There's a new crop of photographers every day and there are undoubtably quite a few pros out there shoting MF that haven't taken the jump from film to digital. There's obviously a big enough market for digital 645s or Adorama wouldn't be stocking them.

The way I see it (rose colored glasses and all ) is IF Pentax does launch a 645D and they don't price like a high-end Hassy - it's going to make a big enough splash on the scene to turn heads and open wallets.

03-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
As you're from Norway, I guess you've noticed that Fovi has a lot of 645 lenses (demo and brand new) at very low prices right now? (e.g. a demo FA* 300mm for 19995 - that's almost 40% less than the Yodobashi camera price) Could be a good investment if this means the 645 system is returning

(Me, I'm just an amateur who is happy enough dreaming of a DA35 and DA15 right now)

Not low enough prices for me. I lust after that 45-85/4.5 lens but 10.000kr is too much for me considering what used samples can be had for in the US. When that is said, I suspect that very lens is the one the loaned to me for 9 months. It is a very good sample....
03-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Time to plan a trip to Japan I guess. Maybe I'll get in a little "shopping".

Darn it, I guess that means that the 645 lens prices are going to go up...

EDIT: I wonder what the MP and bit depth will be? Time to upgrade the computer too to handle the MEGA FILE SIZES.... Ouch...

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 03-04-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Did not want to double post
03-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The most interesting thing about this, if it indeed is true, is that Pentax are willing to cater to the real high-end. This is good news also for the K-mount Pentax users.

03-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
An "economic superpower" don't have a 10 trillion deficit.
Caution: OT!!
Only superpowers do.
03-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
Hey, when you include Canada it would be 220 units - that's go to be worth something!

It amuses me that the US is the world's "economic superpower", yet it's consumers are so stingy that the manufacturers treat it like a third-world country. It is a puzzlement...
Hmm, only 200 units for the USA? Did Pentax USA come up with such low numbers? Perhaps the reality is the average US consumer is close to broke, mortgaged to their eyeballs or swimming in debt and can no longer have the means to buy, still that is an awfully low projection. By way of comparison Hasselblad sells about a dozen digital MF cameras here annually.
03-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
OK big spenders who reside in USA or Canada, Will you pay $20,000 US Dollars for a 645D? If they build it in Japan at least they won't have to ship it elsewhere. Now I'm wondering if they have the facilities to manufacture dslr cameras in Japan?
Hmmm, Where did you cook up the US$20K figure?
03-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I suspect the very strong yen has to do with the decision not to sell it in the US.

It'll be interesting to see what Pentax comes out with though. Right now the Mamiya DL28 would be on top of my list for a medium format digital. I had a 645E and loved it to death -- and man, do they make some NICE glass.

03-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #39

$15K, $20K, $25K, whatever.

If I were a professional, taking HS graduation pics and weddings, this is a cost of doing business. I can write it off & depreciate it. I think that the top-end espresso machine in my sister's coffeeshop costs a lot more than this. A good studio lighting setup (not single flash!) costs - what? A lot more than a K20D.

This is one place where Pentax has it all over the Canikon monopoly - they've got the experience in MF. And in Japan they can test it out, get their feet wet with MF digital.

I'm excited. I'll probably never get a sniff of one, but I'm excited.
03-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #40
Veteran Member

200? I would guess the economic downturn and probably the limited number of fashion photographers, not to mention competition from Hasselblad and Mamiya. Who else except the wealthy hobbyist would invest in medium format? It's probably out of budget for the average wedding photog, for example.
03-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheesehead Quote
This is one place where Pentax has it all over the Canikon monopoly - they've got the experience in MF.
Definitely true, but now they have Hasselblad and Mamiya to go up against.
03-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #42

[QUOTE=HawaiianOnline;512632]Time to plan a trip to Japan I guess. Maybe I'll get in a little "shopping".QUOTE]

do u speak japanese? I believe the menus will be in japanese
03-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote

I don't buy into those that need MF already have MF. There's a new crop of photographers every day and there are undoubtably quite a few pros out there shoting MF that haven't taken the jump from film to digital. There's obviously a big enough market for digital 645s or Adorama wouldn't be stocking them.

The way I see it (rose colored glasses and all ) is IF Pentax does launch a 645D and they don't price like a high-end Hassy - it's going to make a big enough splash on the scene to turn heads and open wallets.
Sure enough, if that price figure is in fact exaggerated. But most of the 'new photogs' aren't gonna be starting out with state of the art high end medium format. Unless they're born with the silver spoon, they'll be working their way up through the stuff that's older.
03-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #44
Veteran Member

If 645d were affordable, like under $8K, you think they'd Ignore USA market?

How about less than what a D3x costs new will be launch price for 645D?

From me:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/45333-i-think-pentax-f...tml#post434944

From me:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/40124-pentax-medium-fo...tml#post388781

Both of my earlier statements here were based on what Ned Said on another forum 23 months ago. Second link has his quote from elsewhere.

You tell me whats the magic price point for Pentax That Requires Them to ignore the planet less Japan Home Market? Its got to be $20,000, not something silly like $3,000 to $5,000 but you tell me, I'm just going by what Ned said.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Hmmm, Where did you cook up the US$20K figure?
03-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #45

This is very disappointed news. Since the 645D is telegramed more than 4 year ago and finally come to release (despite the bad economic). And this is still no hint of FF. I don't think we will see a Pentax FF body in two years.

Without the prospect of FF in the future, there is not much in the K mount that interest me.