Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
They'll have to give free "white glove" delivery by hot Japanese girls or I'm out of the market.

*iststeve: Just curious where you got the scoop on the sensor.
That would be telling

Actually its a bit of obvious deduction from various annoucements after photokina 2 years ago when the 645 was shelved. They talked then about a sensor upgrade and that the current sensor was not going to be competitive.

The largest Kodak sensor currently available for purchase is the 51MP version, so I would assume thats it. We will no doubt see soon enough. Timing is about right.

Could still be wrong of course, but with 24MP FF now commonplace, 51 MP would be a minimum specification to qualify as an upgrade....

03-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cheesehead Quote
$15K, $20K, $25K, whatever.

If I were a professional, taking HS graduation pics and weddings, this is a cost of doing business. I can write it off & depreciate it. I think that the top-end espresso machine in my sister's coffeeshop costs a lot more than this.
What, hold on! Are you saying the 645D makes coffee as well? I'm in!

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
I am surely going to have a hard time explaining how my camera can be more expensive than my car to my wife!!
That's easy... just ask her if she wants an espresso or cappuccino.
03-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #93
DAP

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
Hmmm, just thought, If and when Pentax bring out the 645D (which I hope they do, as it will be a cracking halo model for the rest of the range) there is the issue of the Leica S1, which looking at pictures, is slightly smaller than the 1D and D3.
So, if Pentax want to get back into the pro market, they have to deal with not only Hassys, Mamiyas and Leafs of this world, but the new Leica.
So if they are to sell it in the UK, they will have to pitch the price less than the competition, but above the pro DSLRs. Therefore, with the "entry" level Hassy being about 」10k with lens, and the projected price of the Leica being the same, a price of 」8k would be good (sort of), so above the Pros and below the MF rivals. Now where do I get the money........
Realistically, I think that the Pentax 645D better be considerably cheaper than any of the competition in order to survive. If it is going to be priced within spitting distance of either the Hasselblad or the new Leica S2 I think that most people would pass on the Pentax.

As long as we are on the price subject - how many pro photogs do you think really purchase this stuff (I guess I always assumed that a large percentage of pros rented the expensive MF digital gear rather than buying it outright)?
03-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Pentax might not be the best at marketing ideas, but the line could (initially) be part of marketing cost. You can sell a lot of "k30d"s (or whatever the next 35mm sized dslr is) if there is buzz....and if you can compete with something that (so far) canilkonony can't. They could be betting that an investment in a pro camera will be offset in prosumer model revenue.

03-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #95
DAP

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Pentax might not be the best at marketing ideas, but the line could (initially) be part of marketing cost. You can sell a lot of "k30d"s (or whatever the next 35mm sized dslr is) if there is buzz....and if you can compete with something that (so far) canilkonony can't. They could be betting that an investment in a pro camera will be offset in prosumer model revenue.
I can see your point, but if that is the case they might be better off developing a "pro" camera with the more common DSLR form factor. The 645D is so different (and specialized) when compared to pentax's aps-c cameras that most buyers will probably not make the connection. It's kind of like Mercedes hoping that buyers will purchase their sedans due to the fact that they make the best industrial 4x4's (Unimogs). I'm willing to bet that the average consumer doesn't even know that there is such a thing as a medium format camera.
03-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #96

I can understand their position. The US figures that they could sell 200 only. The cost of replacement parts and staff training for such a few lenses would be a burden on Pentax USA.

Cheers
03-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
I can see your point, but if that is the case they might be better off developing a "pro" camera with the more common DSLR form factor. The 645D is so different (and specialized) when compared to pentax's aps-c cameras that most buyers will probably not make the connection. It's kind of like Mercedes hoping that buyers will purchase their sedans due to the fact that they make the best industrial 4x4's (Unimogs). I'm willing to bet that the average consumer doesn't even know that there is such a thing as a medium format camera.
I think targeted buyers are pretty aware of Pentax past as a major player in MF cameras and quality of the MF optics. That's no camera for guys wanting just an upgrade to their APS-C dslrs, clearly but those users aren't targetted.

03-07-2009, 05:09 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
Realistically, I think that the Pentax 645D better be considerably cheaper than any of the competition in order to survive. If it is going to be priced within spitting distance of either the Hasselblad or the new Leica S2 I think that most people would pass on the Pentax.

As long as we are on the price subject - how many pro photogs do you think really purchase this stuff (I guess I always assumed that a large percentage of pros rented the expensive MF digital gear rather than buying it outright)?
For those who sits on Pentax MF lenses, which is a lot as the number approaches 1 000 000, Hasselblads and Leicas are no alternative. In addition, the Pentax 645D is a outdoor camera, not a studio tool. Hence, it apeals to a different kind of user. As if this wasn't enough, the Pentax lenses are much cheaper than the Hassy ones and Leica optics. Some says they are even better...
03-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #99
Veteran Member

One assumption everyone seems to make is the compatibility of the older Pentax 645 lenses to the new digital Pentax medium format camera. For all we know there might be a new range of lenses with added functionality. So I don't think it makes any sense to start collecting those 645 lenses from ebay.
03-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
One assumption everyone seems to make is the compatibility of the older Pentax 645 lenses to the new digital Pentax medium format camera. For all we know there might be a new range of lenses with added functionality. So I don't think it makes any sense to start collecting those 645 lenses from ebay.

That assumption is 100% certain. Theres no reason whatsoever to restrict older lenses compatibility. The only added functionality I can think of is SDM but that don't make the older lenses less useful. SDM is not very likely...(not needed)....
03-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #101
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by supernaut Quote
i wonder what sales figures they expect for japan?