Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #76
ibk
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
E1, E3 and Pentax cameras has the most strong water and dust resist.
1Ds has some weatherproof. I don't see any problem to make some sealings in 645D.
But...No need IMO.
Don't know about weather sealing, but Pentax 645D will have some other feature that no other medium format camera has.

03-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
I copy here part of the last comment in my blog, since it is directly related:

For amateur photographers like me, the relevance of this camera is rather small: I would never spend that amount of money for a hobby, and it is clear that only professional photographers, or very rich amateurs, are the target of the 645D..

You could have said exactly the same about the first digital camera or the first DSLR. I feel confident that in ten years time there will be a Pentax MF digital camera at a much lower price than the one hintet at now will sell for. I don't believe they ever will be cheap though....
03-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I think you can get the cheapest Mamiya setup for just under $10k. I don't think there's a chance in hell Pentax can put out anything below that, at least initially.

What about lenses? Are they still producing 645 AF lenses? How many are there? Mamiya did a pretty good investment in developing new glass and have quite a lineup for their cameras by now. The camera itself is only part of the system.
Pentax has more lenses. Current 645 lenses:

Interchangeable Lenses (for 645NII) : Film Cameras : PENTAX
03-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
IWhat about lenses? Are they still producing 645 AF lenses? How many are there? Mamiya did a pretty good investment in developing new glass and have quite a lineup for their cameras by now. The camera itself is only part of the system.

They are still producing MF lenses. I believe there are over 20 AF lensez (haven't counted lately). There are close to 1 000 000 Pentax MF lenses made. This is best in business. In addition they have the largest lens family in the MF world when it comes to exotics like zoom lenses, super telephotolenses (how about a 800/4 lens!), macro lenses and fisheye lenses. Can you name one other MF super wide zoom lens?

03-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Pentax deciding to launch the 645 maybe because of the economical crisis.

As Hoya said the development for the 645 has already been done. Now that the whole DSLR market is about to shrink, Pentax must have plenty of stock to sell before launching new model (hence the release of the new model only on late spring / summer)

But they have a factory to keep making working. So using the ressources available at the moment (that cost them a lot of money without doing anything - stock to sell before) to make a camera that won't compete with any segment of their existing product line is not a bad move IMO.

Any money that can get from these camera above the cost of components it good to take. Because the ressources it will take to make the camera will be lost anyway.

This is just my opinion,
Regards,
Guillaume
03-05-2009, 07:24 AM   #81
ogl
Banned

5-7 lenses are enough for any MF system
03-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Pentax deciding to launch the 645 maybe because of the economical crisis.
Or despite the economical crisis, because they're starting to feel the heat from Nikon's rumored MX system and know that if they can get product out the door first, with an existing lens series no less, they will steal a lof of Nikon's thunder. Introducing the 645D after the MX system (and people have speculated that the Nikon MX would have been shown already, maybe even in production, if not for the crisis) would be much harder.

03-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You could have said exactly the same about the first digital camera or the first DSLR. I feel confident that in ten years time there will be a Pentax MF digital camera at a much lower price than the one hintet at now will sell for. I don't believe they ever will be cheap though....

Regardless of the real price when it is released, even if something similar to the 645D costed like €1000 in five years, I still would not buy it. By amateur photographer I mean someone who like to take casual pictures, and I don't see myself carrying this around to take pictures. Even a Nikon DX3 would be out of my buy list because of its size/weight, not only because of its price.
03-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Free shipping?! 645D better ship free to North America or I'm going Hassy!
03-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I have no interest in buying any $18,000 vaporeware medium format digital camera. For my needs 24x36 full frame digital serves me well.
I think this is what we're mainly arguing about. The medium format will not meet the needs or wallet of 99.9% of folks on pentaxforums because most pentax users are...to put it mildly, budget conscious (ok, value oriented instead of just plain cheap)

This is aimed at "pro" level portrait/landscape/fashion shooters like Benjikan and will attract other pros back into the Pentax fold that might have gone Mamiya and Hasselblad. While those pros are back into Pentax, maybe they'll think of Pentax DSLRs for their other assignments as well..

p.s., if it's 40-50mpix as rumored, I'd bet it'll bet at least $25K instead of only $15K and the pros will buy it
03-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
Free shipping?! 645D better ship free to North America or I'm going Hassy!
They'll have to give free "white glove" delivery by hot Japanese girls or I'm out of the market.

*iststeve: Just curious where you got the scoop on the sensor.
03-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #87
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Or despite the economical crisis, because they're starting to feel the heat from Nikon's rumored MX system and know that if they can get product out the door first, with an existing lens series no less, they will steal a lof of Nikon's thunder. Introducing the 645D after the MX system (and people have speculated that the Nikon MX would have been shown already, maybe even in production, if not for the crisis) would be much harder.
You are right, Pentax has missed the DSLR train thanked to the unstable Philips sensors, now they have to be the one (within ca-ni-sony) to release something really impress.

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
They'll have to give free "white glove" delivery by hot Japanese girls or I'm out of the market.

*iststeve: Just curious where you got the scoop on the sensor.
Search the manufacturer who can produce the biggest sensor size

The marketing plan "only in Japan" could be a trick, maybe they want to see the market reaction, other rivals movement and Pentax will have some adjustment later.

I personally think the price of this MF will be somewhere between 10k and 15K or even cheaper. If the price of the 645D equal or less than a Nikon D3x will you guy get one for yourself??
03-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Don't forget...

the 645D stormtrooper edition.
03-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
the 645D stormtrooper edition.
The Death Star!
03-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Hmmm, just thought, If and when Pentax bring out the 645D (which I hope they do, as it will be a cracking halo model for the rest of the range) there is the issue of the Leica S1, which looking at pictures, is slightly smaller than the 1D and D3.
So, if Pentax want to get back into the pro market, they have to deal with not only Hassys, Mamiyas and Leafs of this world, but the new Leica.
So if they are to sell it in the UK, they will have to pitch the price less than the competition, but above the pro DSLRs. Therefore, with the "entry" level Hassy being about £10k with lens, and the projected price of the Leica being the same, a price of £8k would be good (sort of), so above the Pros and below the MF rivals. Now where do I get the money........